Thailand passes internet security law decried as 'cyber martial law'

webfact

If they tell you "you've got nothing to worry about.." you better be afraid, be very very afraid! You better run, boy!!!

And I thought the dystopia would happen in 1984... Seems Mr Orwell got some dates wrong.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

If they tell you "you've got nothing to worry about.." you better be afraid, be very very afraid! You better run, boy!!!

And I thought the dystopia would happen in 1984... Seems Mr Orwell got some dates wrong.

They actually asked Orwell how things were progressing years after he wrote the book and he said it appears things are well ahead of schedule. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, liberty9133 said:

The law allows the National Cybersecurity Committee (NCSC) to summon individuals for questioning and enter private property without court orders in case of actual or anticipated "serious cyber threats."

THE JUNTA GETS TO DECIDE WHAT IS AND WHAT IS NOT A SERIOUS THREAT. That law means the end of any sort of free speech on the internet. You could be arrested for merely posting anything!

Welcome to European laws. The Met police have 900 officers dedicated to monitoring and tracking 'hate crime', which are, course are subjective. Stabbings are on the increase, and largely treated with very minor sentencing, but post a comment on twitter or a website/Facebook the police don't like and its an early moring call from the totally inept National Crime Agency (who, incidentally are not police officers, but civil servants with powers). Free speech in the UK disappeared long ago. Be careful what you post on the internet because it is there forever.  As you all know Lese-majeste' is a catch-all crime in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you quite, quite sure of that?

Easy enough to check.

Go to your account settings, recently used devices, and you'll find a list of devices, browsers and locations that you've logged in from. Good of TV to allow us to check the security of our VPNs.

Mine all show UK. Haven't been there for a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Easy enough to check.

Go to your account settings, recently used devices, and you'll find a list of devices, browsers and locations that you've logged in from. Good of TV to allow us to check the security of our VPNs.

Mine all show UK. Haven't been there for a year.

Well, you've just blown your cover!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, you've just blown your cover!

It's not really a cover, I have my VPN set to load as soon as I switch my PC on. Wouldn't want to use the internet, in Thailand without it. Not particularly bothered about TV knowing my location, it's on my profile.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Yet they seem to be necessary for people ho commit murder.

I would have thought that getting a murderer off the streets, who can kill again at any time, a bigger priority than someone committing cyber crime. 

You obviously don't understand what the junta deems a threat? Just joking!!!! 

A play right out of Stalinist Russia/Maoist China's handbook, scary. The military is doing everything it can to stay in power and keep that the status quo. I too wish they loved Thailand as much as me. I'd say the same for the Chinese government

6 hours ago, imleavingtheeussr said:

Welcome to European laws. The Met police have 900 officers dedicated to monitoring and tracking 'hate crime', which are, course are subjective. Stabbings are on the increase, and largely treated with very minor sentencing, but post a comment on twitter or a website/Facebook the police don't like and its an early moring call from the totally inept National Crime Agency (who, incidentally are not police officers, but civil servants with powers). Free speech in the UK disappeared long ago. Be careful what you post on the internet because it is there forever.  As you all know Lese-majeste' is a catch-all crime in Thailand.

yes europe and particularly Germany have evolved into ruthless authoritarian States wanting to monitor your every move... and the USA is not far behind with the NSA, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security and more.... how can people believe these governments actually represent them are they really that stupid they need to be protected from themselves?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

"It is unrealistic for any one regime to aspire to centralize the delivery of privacy protections for the entire world in just one regulator," Paine said in a separate letter to the government.

Welcome to the land of laws never enforced

Folks, despite the repeated rhetoric, the country really has been under a form of martial law ever since the junta took over a few years ago.  The military, in the disguise of the non-elected PM that usurped control can basically and has basically done whatever they want.  There is no oversight, there is no civilian control beyond what his administration wants to allow

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Some you probably haven't been in Thailand long to remember when this all started to get hyped up as a way to suppress dissent..

The 'Call to Report' campaign was the real start of the excessive use of 112 and computer crime. 

I always wondered if I called ,,,,would Abbhist answer! LOL

Call To Report.jpg

The dark cloud in the background is very fitting...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I am waiting for the day when they will consider the use of VPNs as a "Threat to security"...

My VPN is payed for and administered outside Thailand. They will have to find me first!

• Haha 1

It's unfortunate and rather pathetic that all these laws are being rushed thru when an election is pending soon. It arrogant of the PM to ram this through when others met inherit the reigns of power. Oops! Sorry!

10 minutes ago, jerojero said:

ueIt's unfortunate and rather pathetic that all these laws are being rushed thru when an election is pending soon. It arrogant of the PM to ram this through when others met inherit the reigns of power. Oops! Sorry!

TIT. It is ruled by a military junta. This may have a name change but is almost certain to continue as it is now. Don't expect the PM to change.

Due to the powers he has given himself, he can do what the hell he likes.

Don't like the political system here? Tough! You ain't gonna change it (neither are the Thai people).

Suck it up and have another beer.

Edited by Spidey

On 3/1/2019 at 3:39 AM, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

One step forward, two massive steps backward. Let's hope this gets reversed someday soon.

Do as i say.

Not do as i do...

One law for them and different ones for us.