Thai Property Taxes

We have been here just over a year and have paid property taxes on the paddy fields twice but have never paid for the 7 rai where we live. So I mentioned this to the wife and we drove over to the Au Bau Tau (sp?) and they checked it out. The guy we bought the house form lived here 5 years and never paid the property tax but they said "mai pen rai". You only need to pay the amount since you bought the property. Anyway, we filled out a form, got the Poo Yai to sign it and then went back to pay the tax. The total tax for one year....B27!!!! Wow, my property tax in the US used to run B200K/yr.

rgds

It is my understanding that taxes are only collected when the land changes hands.

I guess Somtham is speaking of non-chanoot land. Our land has no chanoot and is taxed annually (a tiny insignificant amount). Perhaps Somtham will confirm this.

It is my understanding that taxes are only collected when the land changes hands.

I guess Somtham is speaking of non-chanoot land. Our land has no chanoot and is taxed annually (a tiny insignificant amount). Perhaps Somtham will confirm this.

We My wife has 2 seperate 15 rai plots of rice paddy that are not chanote. We've I've paid taxes on those annually that run about B75 each per year. Then we my wife has another 7.5 rai where we life which does have a chanote. The taxes she paid today on this property was B27 for one year and she paid for last year and this year.

Note, that when we bought the house in '05 the previous owner and I split the sales tax bill which was somewhere around B200k.

rgds

Now I am very curios with only 3 responses. Does this mean nobody is interested in this topic or does it mean nobody is paying tax on the land they bought in their wives name?

rgds

Hi Somtham.

One less than you think!

Rgds

Khonwan