Canadian motorbike driver killed in Phuket road accident

webfact

Canadian motorbike driver killed in Phuket road accident

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

522010.jpg

A female Canadian motorbike driver has died after her head was crushed under a truck’s wheels after trying to overtake a truck in Kata today.

Karon Police were notified of the incident on Kata Hill at 11am.

Police and emergency responders arrived  to find the truck stopped on the road. Nearby they found a motorbike on top of the body of a foreign woman who has been identified by Karon Police as a 29 year old Canadian (The Thaiger is withholding the name).

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/canadian-motorbike-driver-killed-in-phuket-road-accident

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-01

I don't know the circumstances but I do know that surprisingly I saw a lot of rental places refusing rental if you don't have a valid motorbike license.  Thai roads are very dangerous for even an experienced driver.

1 hour ago, Power of life yoga said:

Very unfortunate for her, but I assume that she didn't have a motorbike license,  you are an absolute muppet if you gamble passing a truck on the inside 

How do you assume that? you know something we dont? and the report said OVERTAKING

31 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

How do you assume that? you know something we dont? and the report said OVERTAKING

How dare you- this is Thaigeezer, the home of armchair experts.

RIP to the young lady, even if she was in the wrong its a hell of a way to go,

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

And you should read the full article.

In this case the story of the truck driver sounds plausible.

She was undertaking downhill and then seemingly panicked and lost control when breaking.

Even here in the wild northeast the young racers rarely try undertaking a big truck. The overtake at max speed (no helmet, no nothing of course).

A good quality Arai or Shoei helmet could have saved her life, the 250 baht job from Big C would not have made a difference.

No idea why people without a motorcycle license or, (more importantly) experience of riding a motorcycle rent them in Thailand, which has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. First time I rented a motorcycle in Thailand, I already had about 5 years of almost daily experience on a big bike in the UK, and still was shocked at how hairy it was, and how some of the pickup drivers drive.

1 hour ago, pr9spk said:

A good quality Arai or Shoei helmet could have saved her life, the 250 baht job from Big C would not have made a difference.

No idea why people without a motorcycle license or, (more importantly) experience of riding a motorcycle rent them in Thailand, I which has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. First time I rented a motorcycle in Thailand, I already had about 5 years of almost daily experience on a big bike in the UK, and still was shocked at how hairy it was, and how some of the pickup drivers drive.

I think "Death Race 2000" is an appropriate term.

10 hours ago, pr9spk said:

A good quality helmet is designed to protect you from impact with hard objects when you fall off.  I really don't think they are strong enough to withstand several tons of truck going over them.

Feel free to do some tests and send the video.  I am not suggesting you wear the helmet when testing.

On that road it is standard motorbikes ride on the left, and if faster than cars also overtake on the left.

Judging by the photo the incident happened on a really tight curve to the left, where cars tend to move in a bit to the left as well. No room for any mistake there.

It would not surprise me at all if the car wasn't as far to the right as he could have been, but a driver panicking there and losing control is very likely, and could easily be the main cause.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

On that road it is standard motorbikes ride on the left, and if faster than cars also overtake on the left.

Judging by the photo the incident happened on a really tight curve to the left, where cars tend to move in a bit to the left as well. No room for any mistake there.

It would not surprise me at all if the car wasn't as far to the right as he could have been, but a driver panicking there and losing control is very likely, and could easily be the main cause.

One problem on that road is that part of it have designated, reasonably wide lanes for motorcyclists that suddenly disappear. Looking at the road-lines in the picture, it seems she may have been on one of the wider parts but it's not possible to say with certainty.

As an aside, whatever happened to the police practice of painting white lines around accident debris? Driving down this road a few hours after this unfortunate accident there were absolutely no sign of its occurrence. 

15 hours ago, pr9spk said:

No idea why people without a motorcycle license or, (more importantly) experience of riding a motorcycle rent them in Thailand, which has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. First time I rented a motorcycle in Thailand, I already had about 5 years of almost daily experience on a big bike in the UK, and still was shocked at how hairy it was, and how some of the pickup drivers drive.

I resemble that remark! I assume you mean Thai pickup drivers.

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

He assumes it by way of assumption, he did not say that he knew it to be the case.  The report may have said "overtaking" but it also said that she was overtaking on the left!

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Try reading the link for what actually happened, no car was involved.

4 hours ago, tompelli said:

It is common for trucks & pickups  to cut the corner to hit the apex. They don't know how to power through a corner....that might explain why the woman braked, seeing a bloody great wheel coming closer?

...or you could read the link that explains what really happened.

Archived