Pridiyathorn Resigns As Deputy Pm, Finance Minister

george

There appears to be much confidence around here that the THB is being held down as is the official line. I'm not so sure that all is as it is proclaimed to be. It is certainly convenient politically that the THB is strong at the moment. No, not from an economic point of view, I know. But economic strength is certainly not the priority right now.

All in all, the dominoes have still not stopped falling. Interesting, the twists and turns as they tumble...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no economist, but first up, let's revisit 1997.

I am willing to debate, discuss and learn, but people like Howmal can you please either learn a little about economics or perhaps stick to jokes and stories about how Thailand sucks? They are trying to weaken the baht by buying USD! It isn't working that well! The end!

You are right you are no economist you just love yourself. We all should feel sorry for wife or GF or BF

As obnoxious as he was, things in Thailand sure were a lot better with Thaksin and his buddies running the show! The world never seems to go backwards though, so who's next?

hi...

ahha ....

slowly but surely one is beggining to understand.... just that its too late now.....

wont say i said so...but.....

Thailand was a lot better off 9 months ago than it is now... in almost every respect, now the current imposed team is falling apart because they simply cannot do the job....

amarka :o

It's pointless arguing with these anti-Thaksin fanatics even though the sheer incompetence and illegality of this wretched junta is now clear for the whole world to see.Many of us dislike Thaksin's approach in equal measure with the illegal junta, but it is nevertheless beyond argument that economic management was far more competent under the last administration.As for the deaths in the drug war these were of course unacceptable from a Western standpoint, whether "guilty" or "innocent" for no distinction can be drawn.......

Well and then there are those of us who would argue that these deaths in the drug war were unacceptable. Full stop. There's no " but.." here. Human rights are not a "western standpoint" either - they are universal. Just as it is universally desirable to have a rule of the law. Both were violated in the worst way by Taksin and his henchmen. Without that, nothing will ever work - not the society, and not the economy.

I actually agree with all this.The trouble is that its not just Thaksin and his henchmen that are implicated.

It's pointless arguing with these anti-Thaksin fanatics even though the sheer incompetence and illegality of this wretched junta is now clear for the whole world to see.Many of us dislike Thaksin's approach in equal measure with the illegal junta, but it is nevertheless beyond argument that economic management was far more competent under the last administration.As for the deaths in the drug war these were of course unacceptable from a Western standpoint, whether "guilty" or "innocent" for no distinction can be drawn.......

Well and then there are those of us who would argue that these deaths in the drug war were unacceptable. Full stop. There's no " but.." here. Human rights are not a "western standpoint" either - they are universal. Just as it is universally desirable to have a rule of the law. Both were violated in the worst way by Taksin and his henchmen. Without that, nothing will ever work - not the society, and not the economy.

Sadly, that's not true. Many societies without a concept of human rights that most westerners would recognize, have worked very well. Individual rights are supplanted by some vague notion of the 'greater good'. That is why many Thais supported and, quietly, continue to support the drug war killings. I find that perspective appalling. As you do- and probably every one raised in a country where the society exists to benefit the indiviual- and not the other way around. The kind of nationalism that places the perceived needs of the nation in the abstract ahead of the needs of the indiviuals who make up that nation fosters precisely the kind of trampling of human rights that 'we' find so abhorant. And this nationalism in THailand has not been diminished- in fact- it may well be on the rise.

Edited by blaze

Thailand was a lot better off 9 months ago than it is now...

Nine months ago? In May 2006?

There were botched elections that descended into absurdity with endless rounds of re-elections, with more street dogs than voters in attendance.

There was no parlament, no Senate, no Prime Minister, and who was in charge of economy? Somkid and Pridiyatorn.

Who thinks Thailand had stability then?

Thaksin had officialy "resigned" and out of the country. Acting PM was a moron no one remembers the name of. In fact no one remembers names of any of Thaksin's ministers. There were all clowns, except for aforementioned Somkid and Thanong Bidaya, and Pridiyatorn.

Pridiyatorn should have resigned in December, after the first screw up.

Who will replace him? Chatu Mongkol? Will he come back from retirement? Or perhaps they will simply put and no-name bureaucrat in charge for a few months before the elections?

hold what down Sam thai baht to 35.06 to usd when in my opinion it should be around 45 to 1 usd after all we had a coup tsunami market drop bomb in bkk and other areas ploblems in south getting worse tourism down did I miss any thing here I am getting pissed every time I go to bkk bank and see my USD get less baht than I should be getting but like a fool I will hang in there for another year lets see now i am losing around 250 bucks a month X 12 = 3000 usd pocket change to some but it a lot of money to me as far as I am concerned I want to see the thai baht crash & burn so I can get 100 to 1 that would please me very much since the only thing I have to pay for is truck payment of 12 k every month as for those falongs with house mortgage it would help them also my two cents is used up bye for now Ronnie

Near the bottom row of your keyboard, you will find some of these: "," and "." Also, the keys labelled "Shift" - one on the left and one on the right - are for making letters like this: "t", turn into letters like this: "T". :o

Thaksin and TRT must be rubbing their hands in glee right now. I read a poll conducted among thais, that Thaksin's popularity has slightly gone up, while the interim government's has gone done.

I definitely would not be surprise if thaksin makes a comeback.

Virabongsa tipped to be new finance minister

Wed, February 28, 2007 : Last updated 21:01 pm (Thai local time)

Exim Bank chairman Virabongsa Ramangkura is being hotly tipped to replace MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, whose resignation as deputy prime minsiter and finance minister threatens to snowball into a full-blown crisis for the interim government.

what do we know about this guy ??

formating

Edited by Mid

did the 200 billion lost on propping up the thai baht have anything to do with this - i wonder? :o

Thai baht ain't being propped up. They are doing their best to hold it down though.

hold what down Sam thai baht to 35.06 to usd when in my opinion it should be around 45 to 1 usd after all we had a coup tsunami market drop bomb in bkk and other areas ploblems in south getting worse tourism down did I miss any thing here I am getting pissed every time I go to bkk bank and see my USD get less baht than I should be getting but like a fool I will hang in there for another year lets see now i am losing around 250 bucks a month X 12 = 3000 usd pocket change to some but it a lot of money to me as far as I am concerned I want to see the thai baht crash & burn so I can get 100 to 1 that would please me very much since the only thing I have to pay for is truck payment of 12 k every month as for those falongs with house mortgage it would help them also my two cents is used up bye for now Ronnie

Getting more baht per USD is not going to help your problem:: If today the Baht is 33.33 to 1 USD and one beer cost 33.33 baht or 1 USD and the rate goes to 99.99 baht for 1 USD you will not be able to buy 3 beers, you will have to pay 99.99 Baht or 1 USD for 1 beer. You don't expect the beer company to sell you 3 beers for 1 USD just because the exchange rate goes to 99.99 do you??

This will happen across the board and the Thai people will be the one's suffering.

Thaksin can return only over many many more dead bodies than drug war killings. It's far easier to build support for the dictatorial government than overcome opposition to Thaksin. It might not look so at first sight but it is.

First draft of the constitution will be out in May, referendum sometimes in July/August. If constitution gets rejected, the generals will simply dust off 1997 edition and hold elections anyway.

It might, of course, all go terribly wrong. Look around at who is trying to derail the new constitution? It's not the generals at all, it's so called "democracy lovers". They don't understand that what they advocate is not democracy, it's anarchy.

Just imagine what the headlines would be if generals suddenly let go off power and let the country at the hands of "democratic process". It would be chaos, complete, irreversible chaos.

Exim Bank chairman Virabongsa Ramangkura is being hotly tipped to replace MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, whose resignation as deputy prime minsiter and finance minister threatens to snowball into a full-blown crisis for the interim government.

Another brilliant economist (by Thai standards). He can be stubborn, like Chatu Mongkol, and he doesn't play politics like Somkid.

Virabongsa had as on/off relationship with Thaksin, approving some of his policies and later smashing them for poor implementaion.

He opposed Pridiyatorn over capital controls last year.

He will surely create some enemies while in power.

I am willing to debate, discuss and learn, but people like Howmal can you please either learn a little about economics or perhaps stick to jokes and stories about how Thailand sucks? They are trying to weaken the baht by buying USD! It isn't working that well! The end!

You are right you are no economist you just love yourself. We all should feel sorry for wife or GF or BF

I never stated that Thailand SUCKs I have lived here 4 years and love the place ..... ITs only my humble opinion and thats all

As others say time will tell and we maybe right or wrong but for sure we will all survive in our own little wa ...... Malachy

Former Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister under Chavalit. Brought in just as the IMF agreed a series of loans to Thailand.

Bit more info can be found:

http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/97/0829/nat5.html

Thai Finance Minister Quits After Cabinet Disputes

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula resigned, dealing a further blow to the military-backed government's credibility with investors.

Pridiyathorn told reporters in Bangkok he disagreed with ``some'' Cabinet ministers and this month's appointment of Somkid Jatusripitak, former deputy to Thailand's deposed premier, as an economic adviser. Somkid resigned after a week in the job.

``This is a strong setback,'' said V. Anantha-Nageswaran, head of research for Asia and the Middle East at Julius Baer & Co. ``For every step forward, they seem to be taking two steps backward.''

No replacement was named for Pridiyathorn, a former Bank of Thailand governor who was tapped as finance minister to buoy confidence after a Sept. 19 military coup. The central bank today cut interest rates for the second time this year to bolster economic confidence, rattled after the bungled imposition of capital controls in December triggered the stock market's steepest fall in 16 years.

``It doesn't bode well for the government,'' said Warut Siwasariyanon, director of research at Globlex Securities Ltd. in Bangkok. ``It will be very bad for investor confidence.''

Thailand's SET Index, the nation's main stock gauge, slid as much as 2.8 percent after Pridiyathorn's announcement. It was 1.7 percent lower at 672.29 at 2:55 p.m. Most markets in Asia declined today, extending a rout in global equities that started in China yesterday and triggered a slump in the U.S.

Pridiyathorn

Pridiyathorn, 59, is also relinquishing his role as one of Thailand's two deputy prime ministers.

``I will stay at home,'' he said. His resignation will take effect tomorrow.

``He is a knowledgeable and experienced technocrat, his resignation would definitely be a loss,'' said Vincent Ho, Fitch Ratings associate director of Asia sovereigns. He ruled out any immediate effect on the nation's BBB+ credit rating. ``His decision indicates an internal disagreement in the interim government, which may add uncertainty,'' he said.

The perceived risk of holding Thailand's dollar-denominated debt rose. Credit-default swaps based on Thailand government debt rose 10 percent to $40,750, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The swaps were conceived to protect bondholders by paying the buyer face value in exchange for the underlying securities should the borrower default. Credit-default swaps are used to speculate on the government's ability to repay debt.

The resignation will ``hurt confidence,'' said Aran Thammano, one of seven members of the Bank of Thailand's monetary policy board. The group today cut its benchmark interest rate to 4.5 percent from 4.75 percent.

Not Consistent

Pridiyathorn joined the Cabinet of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who was appointed by the military junta, on Oct. 9. He gave up his post as governor of the central bank to take the job of heading the government's economics team. The government's mixed record in managing the economy since then may mean change is needed.

``Pridiyathorn has not been consistent with his economic policies,'' said Takahira Ogawa, Standard & Poor's Singapore- based director of sovereign ratings. He ruled out any immediate change in the kingdom's BBB+ sovereign rating. ``We have to see who succeeds him. Even if the successor is good, he may not be able to exercise control.''

`Unreasonable'

Somkid, former deputy prime minister under Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed in the coup, quit as an adviser on Feb. 21 after criticism from political activists opposed to those linked to Thaksin.

Pridiyathorn wasn't informed of Somkid's appointment, which he today described as ``unreasonable.''

The ``true intentions'' of the appointment weren't revealed to him, he said, and the handling of Somkid's resignation was ``ambiguous and indecisive.''

Pridiyathorn has been the subject of criticism on a talk show run by Sondhi Limthongkul, the founder of Manager Media Group.

Sondhi, who started the public protests that eventually led to Thaksin's ouster as prime minister, said yesterday he will stop broadcasting his program, ``Yam Fao Pan Din,'' or ``National Guard of the Country,'' on state-run Channel 11, because some ministers had lobbied to stop it.

``I don't want to create any dissatisfied feelings any more,'' Sondhi said in a comment published on his Manager Daily newspaper Web site. ``I will stop broadcasting my program on this network, but will keep broadcasting it on my satellite television.''

Pridiyathorn didn't comment directly on the talk show or Sondhi. He expressed concern at the behavior of other members of the government and their close ties to members of the media.

Policies Criticized

Pridiyathorn's appointment was initially welcomed by investors. Still, he and his replacement at the central bank, Tarisa Watanagase, were widely criticized for subsequent policies viewed as unfriendly to investors, including December capital controls penalizing short-term overseas buyers of baht assets, which triggered a slump in stocks, bonds and the currency.

``The one who will replace him may create impact,'' said Adisorn Thananun-Narapool, senior executive vice president at Land & Houses Pcl, Thailand's largest property developer.

Pridiyathorn backed changes to Thailand's foreign business act, tightening ownership laws and eliminating the use of local nominees to circumvent caps on overseas ownership.

Central Bank Changes

The minister yesterday got Cabinet to pass changes to Thailand's currency and central bank acts, which he said will give the Bank of Thailand greater independence.

The changes Pridiyathorn pushed through, which still require parliamentary endorsement, include allowing the central bank to invest in high-rated corporate bonds, removing foreign exchange reserves from the regulator's balance sheet, and giving parliament the power to appoint the governor, instead of the finance ministry.

``Yesterday, he was articulating the changes to the Bank of Thailand Act, which I thought was a good development,'' Nageswaran said. ``It gives them more flexibility for managing the foreign exchange reserves and could slowly and gradually liberalize the capital controls.''

--Bloomberg 2007-02-28

Why has this Sondi Guy got so much power - Any normal country would have a proper debate with the public on public TV .this chap seems to have a monopoly with his views ! I am sure most Thais are sick of seeing him preaching .

i think it is very good that the Finance Minister has quit - So many problems have happened because of his policies which he would never admit were wrong .

Maybe we will now get some sense and policies to encourage foreign investors - as Thailand surely needs .

Just to emphasise what thedude has stated, regarding foreign trading, looking at the SET's website shows that just this year, Thai Individuals and Thai Institutions have both been NET sellers, the only real buyers in the market today are foreigners..

More information can be found at:

http://www.set.or.th/set/investortype.do?l...&country=US

And would it be a shrewd observation to guess that the events that triggered declines in the market were preceded by significant short selling?

Dude, I said it in jest about the stocks should skyrocket because Pridiyathorn wasn't well liked on ThaiVisa (TV) forum.

Even I got that one :o

sorry folks, my bad.

for a while i thought i was reading the kind of spin you'd expect to find in the newspapers.

just goes to show how far the bar has been raised in this country for making ridiculous statements sound credible. :D

Perhaps its time for the Mods to transfer all news posts about management of the Thai economy to the jokes forum to avoid any confusion!

global markets slump overnight, now pridiyathorn resigns. just a gentle reminder for those a bit slow off the bat, SELL ALL POSITIONS ON THE SET NOW!

An amateur's question:

Is the fall in stock market only a temporary setback, or is this the beginning of a crash, and what effects might that have on the Thai economy, and life for us here?

The truth of the matter is that the markets were just waiting for an opportunity to make a significant correction. Many investors (primarily the major holders like Mutual Funds ) were expecting the losses and had girded themselves. As you notice, already the bargain seekers are deeply back into the market. I spend much time in reviewing and keeping up with investments, and I see very positive signs ahead for the international markets as well as those in the US. The Chinese market, is in an overvalued position and I susupect it has not reached the bottom yet. The sky is not falling. The money will remain in the SET.

Edited by sanget

Another brilliant economist (by Thai standards). He can be stubborn, like Chatu Mongkol, and he doesn't play politics like Somkid.

Virabongsa had as on/off relationship with Thaksin, approving some of his policies and later smashing them for poor implementaion.

He opposed Pridiyatorn over capital controls last year.

He will surely create some enemies while in power.

He's certainly intelligent and has a grasp of the techniques needed for economic management.Not quite to the extent of Chatumonkol, he's his own man with an independent frame of mind.I would say he's well qualified for the job.On the downside he has yet to explain the unusual wealth (completely out of kilter with the jobs he had held) revealed several years ago now when he was required to make a declaration of assets on assuming office.Less seriously he has been associated with one of the scummier big Sino-Thai corporates.However all told Surayud could do a great deal worse for this key position.

The Chinese market, is in an overvalued position and I susupect it has not reached the bottom yet.

Well, i am in a minority position because i believe that the Chinese economy is since years over heated and over estimated and over talked, and will one day soon head for a crash similar to the Asian crises of '97.

All the talk about China being the next world power reminds me too much to the atmosphere before '97 here in SEA, where corruption, nepotism and complete lack of transparency, checks and balances were mistaken for flexibility.

I believe China is measured more by wishful thinking and the success of a few enclaves, while many of the not so nice realities, such as similar ones i described for pre '97 SEA are ignored, in addition to a dictatorial system that does not allow even constructive criticism in many areas of life.

I do believe that long term in the region here India's boom will be more stable and sustainable, mostly because India is striving for an open society, and a true decentralization of development.

An amateur's question:

Is the fall in stock market only a temporary setback, or is this the beginning of a crash, and what effects might that have on the Thai economy, and life for us here?

I'll never forgot my freshman year, Economics 101 professor who told us on the first day of class:

"If you the took all the economists in the world and lined them up from here to the moon, they'd all point in different directions..."

:o

j.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/01...es_30028195.php

As finance minister jumps ship, PM tries to stay afloat

Warning signs of worsening political crisis as the infighting rocks Surayud

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister MR Pridiya-thorn Devakula's abrupt resignation has sent shock waves and raised worries about the survival of the Surayud government as a whole.

There is a clear and present danger over the country sinking deeper into political crisis as Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont appears to have a

difficult time managing the political infighting. There are rumours that Surayud is also standing on quicksand.

Pridiyathorn cited several reasons for his decision to call it quits by submitting a letter of resignation to the prime minister yesterday morning. He said he did not want to work with certain ministers who he said worked in favour of certain media.

It was not too difficult to crack Pridiyathorn's code. First, he was upset that Thiraphat Serirangsan, the PM's Office minister, had been working too closely for comfort with Sondhi Limthongkul of the Manager Media Group, who was allowed to run his "Yam Phao Phan Din" programme" on Channel 11. (However, on Tuesday Sondhi announced he would withdraw his programme in the wake of the government's dispute with the new cable TV station PTV, which is dominated by the remnants of the Thaksin regime and also trying to follow Sondhi's ASTV satellite television.)

Pridiyathorn had been trying to block Sondhi's arrival but to no avail. Pridiyathorn and Sondhi are sworn enemies. Sondhi's Manager Media Group has been going after Pridiyathorn ever since he served as governor of the Bank of Thailand. He was almost speechless when Prime Minister Surayud told him that Sondhi was getting the Channel 11 airtime.

Second, Pridiyathorn was still feeling disturbed by Surayud's move to appoint Somkid Jatusripitak, the architect of the Thai Rak Thai's populist policies, as the government's spokesman on the sufficiency economy. In Somkid, Pridiyathorn fathomed a diabolical link with Sondhi of the Manager Media Group.

Prem Tinsulanonda, the president of the Privy Council, and Surayud appeared to call the shots in the appointment of Somkid to the informal post as envoy for the sufficiency economy. They were concerned that foreign investors might not have a good understanding of the sufficiency theory, a philosophical concept that subscribes to moderation and self-immunity.

It was uncertain how Somkid managed to get the ears of Prem and Surayud. But Pridiyathorn must have felt that Surayud no longer found him an asset, but a liability to the government. From the capital controls to the amendment of the Foreign Business Act, Pridiyathorn had been singled out as causing damage to the credibility of the government.

At the same time, Somkid's appointment gave him the profile to gain political support to become Thailand's next prime minister. After an outcry over Somkid's arrival, because he was still being seen as a Thai Rak Thai man, Surayud quickly backed off by requesting that Somkid resign from the special envoy post. But the relationship between Pridiyathorn and Surayud had reached the point of no return. It would only be a matter of time before Pridiyathorn would have to go.

Third, Pridiyathorn also expressed his disappointment with a continuing link between this government and the previous one. He did not receive enough explanation why the government had to recruit Somkid.

"This (Somkid) issue has already ended but in an ambiguous way. And the connection with the previous government is still continuing. It is because a person with contacts with the Thaksin government is still holding a position in this government," he said.

Although he did not identify the name, the contact person Pridiyathorn referred to was Veerachai Veeramethikul, the deputy secretary to the prime minister. Veerachai is a confidant of Somkid. He served in several positions in the Thaksin government. His last position was vice minister for foreign affairs.

With the slowly proceeding cases against Thaksin Shinawatra and the influence of several Thai Rak Thai associates, it is difficult to analyse what the real situation is with the Surayud government or who is really in charge.

Lastly, there are rumours that Surayud might come under pressure to resign, leading to a wholesale reshuffle of the Cabinet. Traffic at TV Channel 5, an army channel, appears to be busier nowadays, with military officers moving in and out as if there were some manoeuvrings going on.

Pridiyathorn has jumped ship, but the ship might have already been leaking.

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

It is amazing to see how quickly things falling apart under this incompetent, illegal and mediocre government. This is precisely the background which allows one to see (by contrast)a lot of positive changes which happened in Thailand under Thaksin's leadership. I wonder how much anymosity expressed towards this outstanding politician on this website is motivated by

early closing of entertainment venues which has also been introduced by Thaksin. Setting aside ethical aspects of his policies (which cannot be judged by Western standards, anyway), all aquisations against him remain unproven. They are just that:

unproven allegations. Thaksin had a lot of respect in foreign business circles and it speaks volume about his economic policies.

He had aspiration of moving Thailand along Singapore path, he worked very dilligently in promoting free trade agreements, he was extremely efficient in fighting bird flu, he introduced drastic improvement in treating Aids patients (without infringing upon

pharma patents), he start changing educational system (e.g. by promoting University researchers to publish in internationally recognized journals), he was the first one to tackle poverty problem, he introduced the universal health care and as a by product a lot of affordable , more comprehensive health insurance schemes became available to Thais with modest income.

I firmly believe that his hard line approach in the South is the only viable. Alternative is a creation of defacto independent

anclave under total control of Wahabi brainwashed muslim terrorists from which they will be able to launch their vicious attacks in various directions (Malaysia including). Of course, time will tell but if he returns to Thailand as a prime minister

(however remote this possibility may be), it will be to the great benefit of this country.

Henry,

Instead of knocking, can you point out exactly where his argument was wrong? Or can't you? Were you just the kid at the back of the class who knocked all the smart ones, and now find yourself here whinging about this and that, generally feeling sorry for yourself while others shine and you don't. Judging by your previous posts, just about all one liner put-downs, you aren't capable of intelligent argument.