Thai authorities don’t know if Maya Bay will re-open to tourists

rooster59

Thai authorities don’t know if Maya Bay will re-open to tourists

da71c9930dafeb32022628d7a5eab87d.jpeg

Thai authorities say they still do not know when they will re-open Maya Bay.

The bay, made famous by the movie The Beach starring Leonardo DiCaprio, has been closed to visitors since 2018, after mass tourism destroyed bay’s coral ecosystem.

Sharks have now returned to the bay - a sign that the ecosystem is starting to recover, but it could be decades before it fully recovers, experts have said.

In a fascinating interview with the BBC, who were given special access to the beach, scientist Thon Thamrongnawasawat said that up to 60 black tip reef sharks have now been spotted at the bay.

According to the BBC, about 171 people per day visited Maya Bay.

But by 2017, 3,520 people per day were visiting the famous beach.

At its peak, it is estimated that as many 5,000 people per day visited Maya Bay.

In June 2018, officials announced Maya Bay would be closed indefinitely to tourists. 

In October 2018, a boundary of buoys was installed to warn boats not to access the beach. 

Boats can still visit but they must stop 300 metres away from the beach - just close enough for tourists to take photos.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-03

Great news. Thailand tourisms biggest problem is just how overdone everything popular ends up. Zero regulation means unchecked amount of visitors destroy the area, leave rubbish and pollution behind just to line the pockets of a few people. 

Be nice to see this happen with a few of the other heavily polluted beaches too. The ones where you go swimming amongst thousands of drinking straws, car tyres, plastic bottles etc

Let's hope the Thai government, whoever that may be after the election, maintains this closure order indefinitely. In this instance, Maya Bay, Mother Nature had been raped and left bleeding and broken. Now she's recovering, leave well alone.

37 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

No doubt the Chinese locusts contributed prominently to the harm. But the Thais are always too scared to acknowledge it. 

I'm generally the first to point the finger at Chinese for society's problems but I imagine there were equal parts Brit, Aussie, Russian tourists as well.

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Let's hope the Thai government, whoever that may be after the election, maintains this closure order indefinitely. In this instance, Maya Bay, Mother Nature had been raped and left bleeding and broken. Now she's recovering, leave well alone.

If previous actual rape threads are anything to go by, some posters on here will be quick to point out that nature wasnt raped, she just wasn't paid enough or was asking for it, or is lying.

Choosing quantity over quality will chew up the entire country as the clueless low cost tours ravage everything. Only solution is to limit access by charging through the nose. Should be a natural solution for Thais.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I'm generally the first to point the finger at Chinese for society's problems but I imagine there were equal parts Brit, Aussie, Russian tourists as well.

It got completely out of hand when the Chinese hordes arrived. Was busy before but after their arrival it was like a cattle yard. I visited before and after the invasion.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

It got completely out of hand when the Chinese hordes arrived. Was busy before but after their arrival it was like a cattle yard. I visited before and after the invasion.

I imagine spitting, smoking and "screaming when you could just talk at a normal level" statistics also went through the roof. 

34 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I imagine spitting, smoking and "screaming when you could just talk at a normal level" statistics also went through the roof. 

You forgot indiscriminate squatting on the sand........:sad:

Whenever I see threads about the islands etc, I am always reminded of an Eagles track from the 1976 album Hotel California called "The Last Resort".

I know the general theme of the song isn't an island per se, but the last two lines always seem relevant somehow.......

They called it paradise, I don't know why
You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye

For our younger than geriatric members who may not know the song, it is worth a listen to from the beginning, has a good message behind it ( personally )....:jap:

48 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I went last year and got talking to one of the park rangers he said 10,000 visitors a day during peak season

Keep it closed for another few years. THEN limit the number of boats in total that come enter the Bay in a day. However, TIT I am sure that the tea money in the red envelope will make sure that will never happen and within a few years this gorgeous place will be ruined once again. When will they ever learn?? My guess??? NEVER.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've known a few Farangs recently been on boat trips around there and they dont have a problem with it they seem to accept they cannot go there and the reasons why,

Next stop Similan

People who pay enough can go there, all these news are bool$hit.

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Whenever I see threads about the islands etc, I am always reminded of an Eagles track from the 1976 album Hotel California called "The Last Resort".

I know the general theme of the song isn't an island per se, but the last two lines always seem relevant somehow.......

They called it paradise, I don't know why
You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye

For our younger than geriatric members who may not know the song, it is worth a listen to from the beginning, has a good message behind it ( personally )....:jap:

Hope you don't mind me adding from Big Yellow Taxi.

They took all the trees

and put them in a tree museum

and charged all the people

a dollar and a half to see them

13 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Keep it closed for another few years. THEN limit the number of boats in total that come enter the Bay in a day. However, TIT I am sure that the tea money in the red envelope will make sure that will never happen and within a few years this gorgeous place will be ruined once again. When will they ever learn?? My guess??? NEVER.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Keep it closed for boats for ever.  I believe it is accessible by foot .......

23 hours ago, SammyT said:

Great news. Thailand tourisms biggest problem is just how overdone everything popular ends up. Zero regulation means unchecked amount of visitors destroy the area, leave rubbish and pollution behind just to line the pockets of a few people. 

Be nice to see this happen with a few of the other heavily polluted beaches too. The ones where you go swimming amongst thousands of drinking straws, car tyres, plastic bottles etc

Yes, but your looking at the wrong way.

Last week i found a perfect 185-55R-16 tyre floating in the sea in Pattaya.

works a treat as a spare., nice one, thank you pattaya. :giggle:

Archived