Would this work?

Planning a 3 month trip this summer in thailand, never been before. Original plan was to do a tourist visa + 30day extension but now I want  to do a 30 day visa exemption, with a 30 day extension at immigration, and then do a border run at cambodia for my last 30 days. Would I have trouble getting into thailand with no visa? I'm from USA. Also, where in cambodia would be best for me to do the border run, if ill be staying in Rangsit? I'm aware poipet is shit.

With no previous visits you should have no issues whatever.

Your original plan would be less hassle at this end, any particular reason for changing?

From Rangsit you have all the usual Bangkok border points within range, someone will be along with latest news soon.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

With no previous visits you should have no issues whatever.

Your original plan would be less hassle at this end, any particular reason for changing?

From Rangsit you have all the usual border Bangkok points within range, someone will be along with latest news soon.

something came up and im not exactly sure what day i wanna go, and im not entirely sure how the application even works, for example on the form it says you need a flight out within 60 days which i wouldnt have, as it would be a 90 day round trip. would they decline the visa based on that? and also, why would it be less of a hassle with the visa? would they be asking me for proof of flight out?

You don't usually have to specify your flight dates for a Tourist Visa, it's valid for entry up to 90 days from issue and you'll get the full 60 days stay even if you enter on the last day of validity.

That said, each embassy / consulate has their own rules (try applying in India for a fun time, I actually spoke to the Chennai consul on the phone, got the visa), drop the consulate an email to see what their exact requirments are.

Also, when arriving on a Visa Exemption you are supposed to have a flight out within 30 days. Immigration rarely check but your airline may not let you board without. Most airlines will be happy if you have a return flight booked even if longer than 30 days, they can use that to bring you back if denied entry. Any problems on check-in ask to see a supervisor.

Many embassies and consulates will accept a ticket out of the country within 90 days of arrival.

If you don't get a visa you may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board you flight to here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You don't usually have to specify your flight dates for a Tourist Visa, it's valid for entry up to 90 days from issue and you'll get the full 60 days stay even if you enter on the last day of validity.

That said, each embassy / consulate has their own rules (try applying in India for a fun time, I actually spoke to the Chennai consul on the phone, got the visa), drop the consulate an email to see what their exact requirments are.

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

worried about this part when it comes to tourist visa, as i want 3 months and not 2, and dunno if they'd decline me based on having a ticket out in 2 months. what kind of hassles should i expect if i go on the visa exemption and do the cambodia visa run after 2 months?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Many embassies and consulates will accept a ticket out of the country within 90 days of arrival.

If you don't get a visa you may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board you flight to here.

oh really, if i go on the visa exemption theres a high  chance they'll stop me and ask me for flight information with a 30 day out? do you know if the DC embassy i linked would accept a 90 day flight? how long should i expect to receive my passport back in the mail if i applied for the visa by mailing the application and my passport to them?

Edited by oskar55

10 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

oh really, if i go on the visa exemption theres a high  chance they'll stop me and ask me for flight information with a 30 day out? do you know if the DC embassy i linked would accept a 90 day flight? how long should i expect to receive my passport back in the mail if i applied for the visa by mailing the application and my passport to them?

Yes there is very good chance they will want to see a ticket out within 30 days if you do not have a visa.

If I recall correct the DC embassy has accepted a ticket out within 90 days.

About a week to 10 days is the normal time for a mailed in application.

The visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. No problem to do the application early.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is very good chance they will want to see a ticket out within 30 days if you do not have a visa.

If I recall correct the DC embassy has accepted a ticket out within 90 days.

About a week to 10 days is the normal time for a mailed in application.

The visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. No problem to do the application early.

does the money on your bank account matter if your trip is 3 months? i see that its a $700 requirement but im just wondering if your ticket is for 3 months that the requirement would be more? doesnt specify on the site

For a Visa exempt entry (30 days) the requirement is to carry the equivalent of 10,000 baht cash/travellers cheques.

For a Tourist Visa entry (60 days) the requirement is to carry the equivalent of 20,000 baht cash/travellers cheques.

Rarely requested, but if asked and you can't show such funds then you could be denied entry.

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

For a Visa exempt entry (30 days) the requirement is to carry the equivalent of 10,000 baht cash/travellers cheques.

For a Tourist Visa entry (60 days) the requirement is to carry the equivalent of 20,000 baht cash/travellers cheques.

Rarely requested, but if asked and you can't show such funds then you could be denied entry.

i dont like to carry cash. can i just show my bank information from my bank app on my phone?

3 hours ago, oskar55 said:

i dont like to carry cash. can i just show my bank information from my bank app on my phone?

No.  If they ask, they are looking for a way to reject your entry, so will not let you show the balance, nor fetch the money from the ATM a few meters away.    It's not really about "if you have access to the money" or not (immigration's procedures are often not "really" about, what they are "supposedly" about). 

The alternative for those (like me) who do not like to carry unnecessary cash, is to purchase travelers checks to cover most of the needed "show" money.

• Like 1

Just now, JackThompson said:

No.  If they ask, they are looking for a way to reject your entry, so will not let you show the balance, nor fetch the money from the ATM a few meters away.    It's not really about "if you have access to the money" or not (immigration's procedures are often not "really" about, what they are "supposedly" about). 

The alternative for those (like me) who do not like to carry unnecessary cash, is to purchase travelers checks to cover most of the needed "show" money.

so if im coming on a tourist visa i should bring USD to the equivalent of atleast 20k baht in cash incase a <deleted> asks me for proof i have money?

9 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

so if im coming on a tourist visa i should bring USD to the equivalent of atleast 20k baht in cash incase a <deleted> asks me for proof i have money?

I always do - though a combination of cash and travelers checks. 

This takes away one of the easiest / frequently-reported reasons those with Tourist Visas report being rejected.

5 hours ago, oskar55 said:

Planning a 3 month trip this summer in thailand, never been before.

Key is what you wrote here.  It is extremely unlikely you would be rejected-entry with a Tourist Visa on your first trip to Thailand.  That said, there was a recent report where they asked for a first-time visitor's return ticket, then made a huge fuss about it being "impossible" for him to be able to stay 60 whole days.  They did let him in. 

Their attitude depends on how many detention-rooms are not occupied (they make 800 Baht per-each detainee), what the orders from the supervisor were that morning, how the particular IO feels at the moment, and other things we cannot possibly know/account for.

Odds are, they won't ask for anything in your case, but carrying the cash is playing it safe.  Having that cash takes away the most likely excuse they could have for a rejection - and in your case, pretty much the only chance of one. 

Edited by JackThompson