Irish PM sees Brexit extension to June as 'very likely' - Sunday Independent

webfact

Irish PM sees Brexit extension to June as 'very likely' - Sunday Independent

2019-03-03T100505Z_1_LYNXNPEF220BR_RTROPTP_4_IRELAND-FINANCE.JPG

Ireland's Prime Minister Leo Varadkar speaks at a European Financial Forum event in Dublin, Ireland February 13, 2019. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne/File Photo

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar has told Cabinet colleagues that a delay of Britain's exit date from the European Union from March 29 to June is "very likely", Ireland's Sunday Independent quoted an unnamed minister as saying.

"The Taoiseach (prime minister) has privately said to us that it is very likely there will be an extension until June," the minister was quoted as saying.

An Irish government spokesman declined to comment on the veracity of the report but said the Cabinet's focus was "solely on securing a deal" and pointed to a comment by Varadkar on Friday in which he said a British exit on March 29 without either a deal or an extension was unlikely.

(Reporting by Conor Humphries; editing by Jason Neely)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-04

5 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Varadkar hopes a delay will lead to UK remaining, because Ireland can’t afford us Leaving.
Barnier says it’s “unavoidable” for technical reasons, when speaking to Spanish media. The EU just cannot afford UK to Leave.

Varadkar, Ireland, Barnier, the Spanish media — what do they have to do with you not having the balls to get your shxx together and make a decision?

• Like 1

Time gentlemen please .  Another  extension on the previous  extension . 

Extended EU,   forever ,    Gbp on the up , during the extension..

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar has told Cabinet colleagues that a delay of Britain's exit date from the European Union from March 29 to June is "very likely"

Not guaranteed.

The only problem? The remaining 27 E.U. nations are not sure they are willing to give Britain a break, according to diplomats involved in the discussions — and any reprieve requires their unanimous approval.

Britain is operating as if a Brexit delay is there for the taking. It’s not.

• Brussels would look “charitably” on a Brexit extension request from London, echoing remarks from French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel. 
  • But there were strings attached - Downing Street gives credible assurances that it will not use the time to press for concessions that have already failed on the continent. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/britain-is-operating-as-if-a-brexit-delay-is-there-for-the-taking-its-not/2019/01/19/83da06a2-1b2a-11e9-b8e6-567190c2fd08_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f5373ed92f1c

• Like 2

If you are a Brexiter , then I am sad to say then forget it its over.

The  EU politburo has completely outsmarted  May, (although I suspect May to be complicit in undermining Brexit )

This 3 month extension can and likely be extended indefinitely until there is a change of government or a 2nd Referendum where to leave under WTO rules will not even be an option.

The original Referendum was to stay or leave the EU.  It was not to leave the EU 'provided we can make a satisfactory deal with the gang that runs the EU'.

The European elites have won to the determent of the UK.

The British currency will be absorbed into the Euro and the British public can kiss goodbye any degree of self governance and sovereignty.

Finally  when the EU breaks up, and goes down like a sinking ship in the not too distant future , it will drag the UK down with it.

A sad day for what was for 600 years a proud nation

24 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

The  EU politburo has completely outsmarted  May, (although I suspect May to be complicit in undermining Brexit )

This 3 month extension can and likely be extended indefinitely until there is a change of government or a 2nd Referendum where to leave under WTO rules will not even be an option.

The original Referendum was to stay or leave the EU.  It was not to leave the EU 'provided we can make a satisfactory deal with the gang that runs the EU'.

The British currency will be absorbed into the Euro and the British public can kiss goodbye any degree of self governance and sovereignty.

Finally  when the EU breaks up, and goes down like a sinking ship in the not too distant future , it will drag the UK down with it.

600 years???

44 minutes ago, JAG said:

A good summary of the present situation. I am rather coming around to the opinion that disengagement from the EU is going to take a number of years, and possibly a couple of governments. I suppose the only bright point (from a leavers perspective) is that a marker is down that any further integration or surrender (sorry "pooling") of sovereignty is not going to happen.

Perhaps the endgame will occur when the EU overreaches itself, and makes an unacceptable demand?

Who knows!

Well not you it appears.

3 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

How it looks from Pattaya New Plaza. :burp:

Edited by SheungWan

Sad to say Brexit never had a chance. May has lead a Remain objective from the beginning. Same story in Denmark and Ireland previously. No way out I'm afraid. A fraud and a farce, spitting in the face of 17m loyal Brits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Sad to say Brexit never had a chance. May has lead a Remain objective from the beginning. Same story in Denmark and Ireland previously. No way out I'm afraid. A fraud and a farce, spitting in the face of 17m loyal Brits.

Yes it did have a chance. 'Leave' won. However when put on the spot to actually deliver, the 'Leave' heros turned tail and fled.

They dumped it on Theresa May and became professional hecklers instead. Vultures waiting to pick at the carcass. Can't you see this?

Now yes, I support 'Remain'. We knew where we were even if it was less than ideal. You and others would prefer to leave, which is fair enough too. But shouldn't we wait for 'Leave' politicians to come up with a plan? An actual plan they can agree on and be held to account for?

2 and 1/2 years into this and they are still squabbling over what 'Brexit' means. If that does not ring any alarm bells to you, it certainly should...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Moaners 'R Us.

Edited by SheungWan

17 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

This will never happen. it is speculation and fantasy.

The first bit I agree. The next again is rubbish IMHO.

You might be right on this for now. Luckily the UK has general Elections every 5 years at the latest and people can vote for a party and leader, that believes in Brexit., it is not a matter of if but when. IMHO.

• Like 1