'Tax Clearance Certificate'

factseeker

Hi All,

Has anyone information on or experience with the 'Tax Clearance Certificate'.

Information on WEB states that if registered here you must have a Certificate before 'departing' Thailand.

Does the word 'departing' signify leave for good  or is it applicable each time one leaves even if just visiting friends in Europe for maybe a couple of months and then returning? 

Best Rgds.

Factseeker.

Over 15 years of living and working here (and paying tax etc) and leaving the country several times a year on business I have never once obtained or been asked for any tax documentation at the airport.

Doubtless these things are still available but (at present) nobody seems to care.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Over 15 years of living and working here (and paying tax etc) and leaving the country several times a year on business I have never once obtained or been asked for any tax documentation at the airport.

Doubtless these things are still available but (at present) nobody seems to care.

Hi,

That's my man!

Many thnxs for 'input'.

Best Rgds

The Tax Clearance Certificate regulation/law was rescinded about 20 years ago.   It is no longer in force.

I remember well - the lady issuing the tax clearance certificates had a nickname the “Dragon-Lady”!

She was very helpful and for 500 Baht (under the table) the certificate was produced within minutes and without any problems.

Until some smart ass Farang did not want to pay the 500 Baht made a big fuss about her being “corrupt “ and caused lot’s of problems for all of us in the process after she was transferred away from her post.

A few years later the certificate was scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

the certificate was produced within minutes and without any problems.

Until some smart ass Farang did not want to pay the 500 Baht made a big fuss about her being “corrupt “ and caused lot’s of problems for all of us

Similar to what happened with CM Immigration.  Things were better until a bunch of people and a fearless leader started writing about and sticking their noses into immigration and things then got progressively worse for a few years.

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The Tax Clearance Certificate regulation/law was rescinded about 20 years ago.   It is no longer in force.

Thanks for that.

I did a quick Google and the number of websites still mentioning this "requirement" is worrying, some even with recent (last year) update dates.

• 5 years later...
On 3/5/2019 at 6:48 AM, boonrawdcnx said:

Until some smart ass Farang did not want to pay the 500 Baht made a big fuss about her being “corrupt “ and caused lot’s of problems for all of us in the process after she was transferred away from her post.

Some idiots will never understand how things work here. 

The subject of Tax Clearances Certificates (TCC's) interested me recently and no doubt others have a similar interest, here's what I have come to understand.

Despite it being said above that TCC's were rescinded years ago, they were not. A Bangkok Post article dated 2012 confirms they were still in use for at least a small group of visa holders, mostly visiting sportsmen and entertainers. To understand why they have not been enforced more widely requires an understanding of the Work Permit process. This effectively transfers the responsibility for tax payment, from the WP holder, to the employer, hence, it doesn't matter if the WP holder leaves the country because the TRD can always collect from the employer that remains. Only when the WP is renewed does the TRD ask for confirmation that past taxes have been paid.

Unfortunately, that model is not transferable to long term residents who don't have an employer guarantor.