So, Where Is Everyone Celebrating Texas Independence Day Friday?

on-on

This is gonna be the emptiest thread since, "So, which canals are ok to swim in?"

Is anyone else heading over to Great American Rib Company to celebrate our independence from Mexico (you know, when we stole the state from them and turned it into a country for 8 years). I realize it coincides with Maka Bucha, so I've renamed it "Texas Giving Up Unhealthy Attachment to Mexico Day." I'll bring the 3'x5' Texas flag, one bottle of Shiner Bock and an iPod with ZZ Top, Robert Earl Keen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Willie on it, heh.

This is gonna be the emptiest thread since, "So, which canals are ok to swim in?"

Is anyone else heading over to Great American Rib Company to celebrate our independence from Mexico (you know, when we stole the state from them and turned it into a country for 8 years). I realize it coincides with Maka Bucha, so I've renamed it "Texas Giving Up Unhealthy Attachment to Mexico Day." I'll bring the 3'x5' Texas flag, one bottle of Shiner Bock and an iPod with ZZ Top, Robert Earl Keen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Willie on it, heh.

Great idea. Eat lots of chili con carne, try to find nacho flavored Doritos. Don't forget Buddy Holly, Doug Sahms, Freddy Fender, Kris Kristofferson, but you can forget B. J. Thomas.

And hats. Don't wear a beret, derby, or fedora.

Great idea. Eat lots of chili con carne, try to find nacho flavored Doritos. Don't forget Buddy Holly, Doug Sahms, Freddy Fender, Kris Kristofferson, but you can forget B. J. Thomas.

And hats. Don't wear a beret, derby, or fedora.

Yeah, I was tempted to hit up your Great American Rib down there in HH, but with the holiday I hate trying to traverse towns away from home.

God, the music list goes on and on doesn't it? I was trying to build an iPod playlist. Janis, Jerry Jeff, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Johnny Rodriguez, Kinky Friedman, Jack Ingram, Charlie Robison, some zydeco, etc, etc. I don't have my straw hat unfortunately, but I've got my 15 year old old pair of beat up Red Wings and my shotgun cap concho belt with the big state seal buckle so I can look obnoxious Texan mahk mahk. Should be fun.

Edited by on-on

God, the music list goes on and on doesn't it? I was trying to build an iPod playlist. Janis, Jerry Jeff, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Johnny Rodriguez, Kinky Friedman, Jack Ingram, Charlie Robison, some zydeco, etc, etc.

Four words, "Wille, Waylon, and me..." How about some good 'ole David Allen Cole? I know he wasn't born in Texas but he's about as 'Texas outlaw' as you can get. Decidedly, you won't find any Dixie Chicks on my iPod playlist but in contrast, there's always Houston born Beyonce' :o

Four words, "Wille, Waylon, and me..." How about some good 'ole David Allen Cole? I know he wasn't born in Texas but he's about as 'Texas outlaw' as you can get. Decidedly, you won't find any Dixie Chicks on my iPod playlist but in contrast, there's always Houston born Beyonce' :o
Yeah, I'd probably stick some Coe on there, but you gotta be careful what you pick, heh. I'm not a Dixie Chicks fan either, I prefer folks who write their own stuff generally speaking - though I did buy a couple of singles off their latest album just for political reasons, but that's niether here nor there. Beyonce, not so much (even though I'm from nearest to Houston). Maybe some Butthole Surfers or Gourds instead, heh.