Police Check Between Lamai And Cheweng

Went to Lipa Noi today. When I came back to Cheweng the police were outside their station on the twisty mountain section past Lamai, I believe stopping bikes for no helmet. I can't be definate of this fact 'cause they saw me from a distance and looked away to hassle the thai man they had just stopped. I was going fairly fast and was wearing a hat, which may have looked like a helmet from that distance, so chose to pay them as little attention as possible and just keep on going unless I really had to do otherwise.

Now I know we should all wear a helmet etc etc but I have simply posted this to advise anyone who goes that way without wearing one to think about taking it with them, and maybe putting in on before you cross that section, not to have an argument about whether one should be worn. I think we have covered that one a few times

Went to Lipa Noi today. When I came back to Cheweng the police were outside their station on the twisty mountain section past Lamai, I believe stopping bikes for no helmet. I can't be definate of this fact 'cause they saw me from a distance and looked away to hassle the thai man they had just stopped. I was going fairly fast and was wearing a hat, which may have looked like a helmet from that distance, so chose to pay them as little attention as possible and just keep on going unless I really had to do otherwise.

Now I know we should all wear a helmet etc etc but I have simply posted this to advise anyone who goes that way without wearing one to think about taking it with them, and maybe putting in on before you cross that section, not to have an argument about whether one should be worn. I think we have covered that one a few times

Must have some bills that need paying :o

RAZZ

RAZZ

read this toooo late i think im paying for his sangsom tonight :D

RAZZ

read this toooo late i think im paying for his sangsom tonight :D

Good even if its going in their pockets it may save a few lives they should do it more often .

End of the month, they are always out at the end of the month.

However, on a more serious note, I had a crash last April, hole in the road, ended up in hospital. Had I not been wearing a helmet, I could be dead right now! Also, my insurance was particularly inquisitive as to my 'helmet wearing' status! Had they thought I was not wearing one, they wouldn't have paid up!

Yeah, i passed it to but what i heard it was not a helmet control. The stopped thai-workers to check if they are illegal immigrants or not.

It's an insane place to stop motorists - on a windy, hilly stretch of road?

Stake out the police station just before Tesco and photograph the cops driving without helmets. Make many copies. Hand them out the next time you are stopped. See what happens.

Stake out the police station just before Tesco and photograph the cops driving without helmets. Make many copies. Hand them out the next time you are stopped. See what happens.

What should happen, Mark????? :o

You go first :o

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, and I've seen them do regular checks there for a few months now, since the "Special Police Box" was built and ruined Blue Bar's business potential, they're checking, mainly Thais, for drugs and weapons, nothing to do with the helmet stops they do outside the Chaweng and Lamai Police "stations". They are different to the regular police on the island I believe a "special devision from Bangkok". They've been putting the police stops there, in front of the entrance to Lamai beach nr the police service station and also just as you drive behind the temple. They're mostly stopping Thais and it seems to be regarding drugs and weapons, nothing to do with Helmets. :o

• 1 month later...

are you a gambler, or you like sometimes a little bet.?

then you are welcome at the SPC :-)

for those who are intrested:

Daytimes: 2-3 Trafficpolice Officers (not every day)

Nighttimes: 8-10 CIB Officers (on weekends, thai hollydays etc. more...)

I drove past these "police stoppage places" a thousand times without a helmet, they always let me pass. They only stopped thai men by the looks of it, looking for ganja.

most likely drugs and weapons.

driving on a motor bike with out a helmet is fun. but the law says you need a helmet.

and if you disregard the law then at least think about your health.

I know it may sound corny to some of you but i have seen so many lives taken because they did not wear a helmet.. all of the thought it will not happen to me...

please save your lives and wear a helmet.

I drove past these "police stoppage places" a thousand times without a helmet, they always let me pass. They only stopped thai men by the looks of it, looking for ganja.

most likely drugs and weapons.

To be honest, I think the police don't care if the farangs kill thenselves, for no helmet, and also it gives good biz to the hospitals, It's all a mater of $$ and yes they are looking for ganja,etc. BUT not from farangs? Strange.

Hope ppl that don't wear helmets would think twice, it's NOT uncool to drive with one, it's actually COOL in the long run!

Edited by SamuiJens

Hope ppl that don't wear helmets would think twice, it's NOT uncool to drive with one, it's actually COOL in the long run!

And it keeps the sun off your head without blowing away in a gust of wind, unlike a sun hat.

Stay safe and Cool.

Hey, I thought I wrote this post to warn people of the police doing a helmet stop in a place I hadn't seen them do a stop before, not to discuss the merits of wearing a helmet. The Flanders brigade have discussed this one enough times. Check the local paper and see the percentage of people who crash whilst wearing a lid and then go and count the percentage of riders on the street without a lid. It's you lid wearing fanatics who keep falling off your bikes. How about finding a race track and learning to ride a bike first before preaching pointlessly. Learn where the limits of your bike are and you may be able to stay upright when you lose grip on a bend

Hey, I thought I wrote this post to warn people of the police doing a helmet stop in a place I hadn't seen them do a stop before, not to discuss the merits of wearing a helmet. The Flanders brigade have discussed this one enough times. Check the local paper and see the percentage of people who crash whilst wearing a lid and then go and count the percentage of riders on the street without a lid. It's you lid wearing fanatics who keep falling off your bikes. How about finding a race track and learning to ride a bike first before preaching pointlessly. Learn where the limits of your bike are and you may be able to stay upright when you lose grip on a bend

This is exactly the kind of idiocy I expect to read from somebody trying to support an untenable position. Please give links to academic papers and reputable statistics before you make such idiotic claims. Meanwhile, wear a helmet and save your life.

According to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycle helmets are 67% effective in preventing brain injuries, while motorcyclists without helmets are three times more likely to suffer brain injuries than those with helmets. Furthermore, helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37%. Similar statistics are reported around the world where helmets are in common use.

Bicycle statistics are even more interesting. Depending on the researching body, the statistics show that wearing a helmet can reduce your risk of death or serious brain injury from anything between 45% to 87%.

There are no authoritative statistics that show wearing a helmet makes having an accident more likely.

I repeat again: Wear a helmet and save your life.

Why go on about wearing a helmet have you seen any proper helmets, most are made of thin plastic to resemble a crash helmet. False security.

Well buy a good one - jeez that doesn't take much to work out!

Edited by The Vulcan

Why go on about wearing a helmet have you seen any proper helmets, most are made of thin plastic to resemble a crash helmet. False security.

Check out the better motorcycle shops.

You should find as fair choice.

Yes the 200 baht ones are cr*p, but from 700 baht upwards you will find good ones.

If you're tired of living or "on the each", go ahead and NOT wear a helmet and kill your self, it's your life, Goldfish, BUT don't say your weren't warned!

Please calm down. Relax and leave your caps key alone. I appreciate the concern you show for my life, but like the classic atheist I will not be swayed by the bible thumpers preaching on the street corner. I have spent many years improving my skills to feel myelf competant enough to avoid most problems, if I could only ride at a normal speed. Yes, this is where the whole theory falls apart. Anyway, I am an adult and able to make my own decisions.

Now let me repay the concern. Please learn to ride your bikes, those of you who do not have the experience. Learn how much braking you can do before the wheel locks, front and back, in a straight line of course. Feel what the tyres are doing. Can you tell the difference between warm and cold tyres? How often do you check the tyre pressures? Yes you, not the 'mechanic' who hits it with a lump of metal. And lastly, if you can't maybe learn to maintain the bike yourself cause if you can't it will never be as safe as it should be

If you're tired of living or "on the each", go ahead and NOT wear a helmet and kill your self, it's your life, Goldfish, BUT don't say your weren't warned!

Please calm down. Relax and leave your caps key alone. I appreciate the concern you show for my life, but like the classic atheist I will not be swayed by the bible thumpers preaching on the street corner. I have spent many years improving my skills to feel myelf competant enough to avoid most problems, if I could only ride at a normal speed. Yes, this is where the whole theory falls apart. Anyway, I am an adult and able to make my own decisions.

Now let me repay the concern. Please learn to ride your bikes, those of you who do not have the experience. Learn how much braking you can do before the wheel locks, front and back, in a straight line of course. Feel what the tyres are doing. Can you tell the difference between warm and cold tyres? How often do you check the tyre pressures? Yes you, not the 'mechanic' who hits it with a lump of metal. And lastly, if you can't maybe learn to maintain the bike yourself cause if you can't it will never be as safe as it should be

Right, and how many tourist can these things, so reason for the warning, got nothing to do with the Bible or Koran for that matter, goldfish!

Dearest Goldfish.

there is no doubt that you know what you are doing and that you are a qulified experinced driver. however... the guy driving opposite you may well be not.... and when he slams into you because of he does not know how to drive its the helmet that can save your life.

but it is your choice to do it.

It's all a mater of $$ and yes they are looking for ganja, etc. BUT not from farangs? Strange.

Not really. Apprehending foreigners is bad for tourist business. Having said that, they will stop you for not having a helmet if that is their day's mission. And foreigners will be stopped for random checks too from time to time. If you are not breaking the law, then you have nothing to fear (but fear itself...).

well when i drove by there this mornng, it looks like they had detained 5 Quad bikes!!

So there is two pionts here, 1, they must be stopping westerners as well and 2. looks like the police maybe cracking down on the quad bikes as they are illegal on the roads.