Chiang Mai to HCMC with a bus ticket out?

Booked a flight from Chiang Mai to HCMC with VietJet (1,500bht).

As a Brit I'll get a 14 day VISA waiver on entry.

But I have a bus ticket out to Phnom Pehn (325bht).

Will they let me fly, then will they let me through immigration?

I've bussed in and flown out but never attempted to fly in and bus out before.

Waddya think?

Edited by BritManToo

Without flight out of Thailand and no visa into Thai then no. I assume you want enter visa exempt? Sorry...just re read your post. You mean give you boarding pass in bkk to fly saigin. Umm  if AirAsia they will want flight out. Members please correct b me if wrong

Edited by DrJack54
Error

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Without flight out of Thailand and no visa into Thai then no. I assume you want enter visa exempt?

Nooooooo ..... fly from CNX to SGN get new 90 day Non-o, bus to Cambodia, stay a week or two, then bus to Chiang Mai. I always enter Thailand with Non-os, cos I have Thai children.

That's what I first wrote ..... isn't it?

Edited by BritManToo

Not sure but I did find this.

How to visit Vietnam with 15 days of free Visa  for citizens of United Kingdom

From 1 July, 2015, all United Kingdom passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for a maximum of 15 days without a visa. To get free visa, you just use your passport and visit Vietnam. You can enter Vietnam by any ports from Air by airplane to Land by bus, train… or Sea by ship, cruise…

When you arrive Vietnam, please directly come to Immigration Check-in counter to get the blue stamp into your passport. This stamp will say that you can stay in Vietnam for 15 days from your arrival date.

No cost and no other documents are required.

Source: https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-visa-requirement-for-uk

But wiki states this. "* - A gap of at least 30 days between two visa-free visits is required. Must have a printout of onward ticket."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure but I did find this.

Source: https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-visa-requirement-for-uk

But wiki states this. "* - A gap of at least 30 days between two visa-free visits is required. Must have a printout of onward ticket."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

Incorrect as you can't get VISA waiver at land borders with Vietnam, only the main airports.

But thanks for the link as it states no other documents are needed.

Which may be useful to have if I have trouble boarding.

And WiKi says only need a ticket out, so my bus ticket should be OK.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Incorrect as you can't get VISA waiver at land borders with Vietnam, only the main airports.

But thanks for the link as it states no other documents are needed.

Which may be useful to have if I have trouble boarding.

And WiKi says only need a ticket out, so my bus ticket should be OK.

Can you report back with post experience. As this important. As an aside..is your reason to go pp from Saigon based on needing to enter los via border crossing? Many need same.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you report back with post experience. As this important. As an aside..is your reason to go pp from Saigon based on needing to enter los via border crossing? Many need same.

No, I'm going to PP because one of my pals, driven out of CM by the falling pound, lives there.

Flight to HCMC was cheap (1,500bht), coming back to CM double for some reason (Songkran?).

I can get back to CM by bus from HCMC for about 1,500bht with stop offs in PP, Siam Reap and Bangkok.

I'll let you know what happened next month.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, I'm going to PP because one of my pals, driven out of CM by the falling pound, lives there.

Flight to HCMC was cheap (1,500bht), coming back to CM double for some reason (Songkran?).

I can get back to CM by bus from HCMC for about 1,500bht with stop offs in PP, Siam Reap and Bangkok.

I'll let you know what happened next month.

Yes I forgot about songkran. Even flights to hanoi and everywhere from bkk crazy. The road trip you outline is not fun. Saigon to pp OK. Anyway your call.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

No, you can enter Vietnam visa exempt at land borders as well.

If you fly in, however, I'm pretty sure that both the airline and Vietnamese immigration will want to see your ticket out. I don't know for sure what will happen if you show them a bus ticket instead of a flight ticket. My guess (!) is that it will more likely be the airline that won't accept it.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Booked a flight from Chiang Mai to HCMC with VietJet (1,500bht).

As a Brit I'll get a 14 day VISA waiver on entry.

But I have a bus ticket out to Phnom Pehn (325bht).

Will they let me fly, then will they let me through immigration?

I've bussed in and flown out but never attempted to fly in and bus out before.

I've flown into HCMC and Hanoi around three times since they brought in the 15 day visa waiver a few years ago, don't recall being asked about flights out at either Bkk or Vietnam end. Only place I needed to show this was at the embassies there. Always flew on Airasia from Bkk. 

In any event, timely arrival at the airport would allow you to book something on the spot if they were to be obstructive. 

Edited by lamyai3