Agency dismisses fear of drought, predict rains from late May

webfact

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Weather forecasts show that the rainy season will start between May 20 and 25,” ONWR secretary-general Somkiat Prajamwong said yesterday, dismissing widespread claims that Thailand will be hit with a long-drawn-out drought this year..."

I am curious...

If this official 'dismisses' the wide-spread claims that Thailand will be hit by a 'long-drawn out' drought this year and is incorrect, what will happen to him?

Will he forfeit his salary? Will he lose his livelihood? Will he suffer any consequences whatsoever?

The damage done to the farmers if he is incorrect is obvious; the repercussions for him don't seem to be...

Hmm...

Nothing will happen to him at all if he gets it wrong. Nobody ever gets held to account for making incorrect predictions, especially when they are as senior as Somkiat, who is fresh out of RID and has been around the block a bit and knows the score. In any case, in the unlikely event that a canny journalist or scientist held him to account, he would be quick to pass the blame on to an underling, sick mor doo or faulty computer programme, in the time honoured way of things. 

But what has he actually done in this case? Seems to me has merely predicted something that nobody apart from a hoary old mor doo would have any clue about at all at this stage, i.e. the likely start of the rainy season. By saying it will start between 20-25 May seems a bit later than normal, so perhaps he is inadvertently stating that in fact there will be a prolonged drought this year, as there is always a lag time between rain starting to fall and reservoirs filling up. But by that time, everyone will have forgotten his inane utterance and there will be no repercussions, as in the end everything is in the hands of heavenly tewada, phaya naak and phra pirun...........