Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Notary Public Svcs In Bangkok?

Hi i am interested in where I can go to get Notary public services in Bangkok.

I have some documents from the US which needs my signature and needs to be notarised (presumably by some official organization which would be recognised in the US). It's basically power of attorney and wills stuff.

I know the US embassy consular services do it but they charge a whopping $30 a pop. Granted they are about as official as you can get but I think its just too expensive.

I dont think a stamp from a local Thai notary is gonna cut it. Anyone know anywhere else I could go -- US chamber of Commerce? a law firm?

Any help much appreciated

thanks alot

Bill

I dont think a stamp from a local Thai notary is gonna cut it. Anyone know anywhere else I could go -- US chamber of Commerce? a law firm?

There are no notaries in Thailand. I believe there are law firms with American lawyers that provide the service of certifying your signature but I doubt it would cost you much less than the US consulate.

--

Maestro

There are no notaries in Thailand. I believe there are law firms with American lawyers that provide the service of certifying your signature but I doubt it would cost you much less than the US consulate.

--

Maestro

Notary Publics are commissioned by the individual states. As far as I know, their commissions are not valid outside the state that issued the commission. So, even if someone who was a notary somewhere came to Thailand, he/she could not legally notarize any documents here.

I think this means that the agency or who ever you need to provide with notarized documents would not accept a seal from a notary here -- any more than they would accept a certification from some Thai authority.

I think your only option is to go to the embassy.

Dawoffer,

You're right about the $30 to have a document notorized at the embassy but I think if you have more then one document notorized they give you a discount on the rest of the docs.

Notary Publics are commissioned by the individual states. As far as I know, their commissions are not valid outside the state that issued the commission. So, even if someone who was a notary somewhere came to Thailand, he/she could not legally notarize any documents here.

I think this means that the agency or who ever you need to provide with notarized documents would not accept a seal from a notary here -- any more than they would accept a certification from some Thai authority.

Lanny, some of the US law firms will provide notaries for legal documents they draw up as it relates to items which also have to be filed in the US. Their head offices must have some agreement with the state of their domicile. However, I have only seen this on corporate deals, never for individuals.

My experience is that the people at the US Embassy will, when possible, clasp as many documents together and then notarize the lot while you pay only once.

Lanny, some of the US law firms will provide notaries for legal documents they draw up as it relates to items which also have to be filed in the US. Their head offices must have some agreement with the state of their domicile. However, I have only seen this on corporate deals, never for individuals.

My experience is that the people at the US Embassy will, when possible, clasp as many documents together and then notarize the lot while you pay only once.

I've never seen that -- or even heard of it -- but it's good to know.

Also, the Embassy does not charge for notarizing certain documents needed to file with other government agencies. For instance, I needed something notarized in connection with my application for social security benefits. Since it was another government agency document, it didn't cost me anything.

--------------------

Also, the Embassy does not charge for notarizing certain documents needed to file with other government agencies. For instance, I needed something notarized in connection with my application for social security benefits. Since it was another government agency document, it didn't cost me anything.

Unfortunately, that wasn't my experience recently -- I asked if I could get an extra copy notarized for future use, and the US embassy official said it would cost another $30. Also, this was for getting an ITIN (in lieu of a Social Security Number) for tax purposes for the Thai wife, and so inter-government agency business, but the fee held. Maybe the official got up on the wrong side of the bed that day... Or maybe TIT holds even in sacrosanct US territory!

If you are looking for a Notarial Services Attorney, we’d like to introduce you to Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors.

We have six lawyers in our firm whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and to certify, by his or her hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in Thailand or a foreign jurisdiction.

In order to administer oaths and attest to the authenticity of signatures in Thailand, or to confirm copies of orginals, a Thai lawyer must be licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand and receive the certification to be a notary.

Sunbelt Asia Legal, under the supervision of Ms. Plyaphan Pongtiabrit, Office Manager and Senior Attorney (LLM. International Trade) has been certified by the Notarial Services Attorney to certify signatures and documents, and is licensed under certificate number 2762/2549. Five other licensed lawyers in our firm have also received certification to perform the same duties.

We feel being a notary should be a community service and that is why Sunbelt’s professional fees for this service are the lowest in Thailand. You'll find most firms charge a minimum 1,000 Baht or higher. Our professional fee however is 350 baht plus 7% Vat for the official certification seal and the lawyer’s attestation.

Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors is a law firm established for five years. Our offices are at Fortune Town, 26th Fl., Ratchadaphisek Road, Dindaeng District, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand.

Tel: 02-642-0213

MRT Subway: Phra Ram 9 (Rama 9) Station.

OR: Enquire at our branch next to Times Square, Sukhumvit Road (opposite Robinson Department Store).

BTS SkyTrain: Asoke Station.

MRT Subway: Sukhumvit Station.

We are open for all kinds of legal consultation as well as the attestation of authenticity of signatures and documents. Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (Sundays and public holidays closed).

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

--------------------

Unfortunately, that wasn't my experience recently -- I asked if I could get an extra copy notarized for future use, and the US embassy official said it would cost another $30. Also, this was for getting an ITIN (in lieu of a Social Security Number) for tax purposes for the Thai wife, and so inter-government agency business, but the fee held. Maybe the official got up on the wrong side of the bed that day... Or maybe TIT holds even in sacrosanct US territory!

I also helped my wife apply for ITIN and it required an embassy stamp on the photocopy of ID cards. The fee was $30, not waived for going to another government agency. I get to try again this year when it's time to apply for SSI. Anyone have any further clarifications?

• 2 months later...
If you are looking for a Notarial Services Attorney, we'd like to introduce you to Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors.

We have six lawyers in our firm whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and to certify, by his or her hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in Thailand or a foreign jurisdiction.

In order to administer oaths and attest to the authenticity of signatures in Thailand, or to confirm copies of orginals, a Thai lawyer must be licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand and receive the certification to be a notary.

Sunbelt Asia Legal, under the supervision of Ms. Plyaphan Pongtiabrit, Office Manager and Senior Attorney (LLM. International Trade) has been certified by the Notarial Services Attorney to certify signatures and documents, and is licensed under certificate number 2762/2549. Five other licensed lawyers in our firm have also received certification to perform the same duties.

We feel being a notary should be a community service and that is why Sunbelt's professional fees for this service are the lowest in Thailand. You'll find most firms charge a minimum 1,000 Baht or higher. Our professional fee however is 350 baht plus 7% Vat for the official certification seal and the lawyer's attestation.

Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors is a law firm established for five years. Our offices are at Fortune Town, 26th Fl., Ratchadaphisek Road, Dindaeng District, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand.

Tel: 02-642-0213

MRT Subway: Phra Ram 9 (Rama 9) Station.

OR: Enquire at our branch next to Times Square, Sukhumvit Road (opposite Robinson Department Store).

BTS SkyTrain: Asoke Station.

MRT Subway: Sukhumvit Station.

We are open for all kinds of legal consultation as well as the attestation of authenticity of signatures and documents. Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (Sundays and public holidays closed).

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Went to the Fortune Town office today to get a document notarized, as I have done several times in the past, only to be told Sunbelt don't offer ther service anymore. Can anyone recommend another place ?

• 1 month later...

--

Maestro

What is the substitute for a notary in Thailand, I wonder.. is it always DIY?

I do have 2 photos and a passport copy to be certified, to be submitted to an institution in Australia, but they don't mind it being attested by a (thai) local notary. If there isn't one, where should I be going?

Should anyone in your home country decide to contest or challenge the underlying document you wish to have notarized, I think you will find yourself in a very disadvantageous position if the notary is performed anywhere but at your home country's Embassy in Thailand.

Should anyone in your home country decide to contest or challenge the underlying document you wish to have notarized, I think you will find yourself in a very disadvantageous position if the notary is performed anywhere but at your home country's Embassy in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply. Your advice is duly noted.

But in my case, the docs are required by an Oz institute which is different from my home country, and I doubt their embassy in Bangkok would notarize my docs in the first place..

If I go to my (Sri Lankan) embassy, that wouldn't be any different from a Thai notary, in Australia

Lastly, I can't think of anyone wanting to contest the validity of such basic documents relating to my identity.

anyway, going to my own embassy might be my only choice (albeit probably an expensive one) if they don't have notaries in LOS!

Edited by groovyc

• 5 months later...

I needed a certified copy of my passport, and got it done for 500 baht at www.suwatlaw.com - they're at the mouth of Sukhumvit Soi 25 (Asok BTS). In and out in 5 minutes, I didn't need to book an appointment or anything. Worked out a lot better for me than the UK embassy's service which charges a bargain 1,326 baht and takes a minimum 24 hours!

• 3 weeks later...