Vientiane Visa Run

I am planning a visa run to Vientiane. How soon can I return to Thailand with a single entry tourist visa? I would like to be outside for just 3 nights. I am concerned that there might be a problem at the Nong Khai border. Do I have to stay out of the country for some (kind of) specified period of time?

I am coming to the end of an extension to a single entry tourist visa. In November, I flew into Thailand from outside of the region and received a 30 day visa exemption with my US passport. I got a 30 day extension in December. At the end of December, I did a visa run to Vientiane. I stayed one night, received a single entry tourist visa, and returned via Nong Khai. In February, I got the 30 day extension which is soon to be finished.

Prior to November, I was in Thailand for 2 weeks in August, flying from and to a country outside of the region. I was in Thailand from January until the start of May, 2018, on single entry tourist visas from Vientiane and extensions. I have never had any trouble with Immigration or visas anywhere.

On this trip, I would like to spend just 3 nights in Vientiane before returning, so I would be outside of Thailand only 2 days. Are there reports of trouble with such a short turn-around these days?

I am aware of the new requirement to register online for an appointment to submit applications. Any other recent changes in Vientiane? Have they begun to enforce a policy on onward tickets, for example?

Thanks for any help!

Entering with a valid visa at Nong Khai is problem free, regardless of the length of time you have been outside Thailand.

EDIT: However, you have had enough tourist visas from Vientiane that you are likely to get the remark about "frequent tourist visas" from them that will create problems getting more tourist visas until you get a passport replacement. Using a different consulate would really be better.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

1) I know about the online registration. I hope its back online soon!

2) Current passport is less than one year old and shows one Vientiane visa transferred into the newly issued passport, and the one from December, for a total of two. Other entries are visa exemptions.

3) Any other comments on the main question? Is it necessary to stay out for a minimum amount of time in order to A) receive a single entry tourist visa, and B) be admitted at Nong Khai?

9 minutes ago, hsoa said:
Thanks for the comments.

1) I know about the online registration. I hope its back online soon!

2) Current passport is less than one year old and shows one Vientiane visa transferred into the newly issued passport, and the one from December, for a total of two. Other entries are visa exemptions.

3) Any other comments on the main question? Is it necessary to stay out for a minimum amount of time in order to A) receive a single entry tourist visa, and B) be admitted at Nong Khai?

2) The note regarding the old Vientiane visa would not state where the visa was issued.

3) There is no requirement to stay out for a minimum amount of time to get the visa or re-enter.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a new visa, and as long as you don't have a long history of tourist entries you should sail through the Nong Khai border.

Edited by elviajero

For single entry tourist visas, does the consulate in Vientiane require onward tickets, hotel bookings or proof of sufficient funds? In the past, none of these were necessary. Has this changed? Are they asking for any of these items these days?

The Vientiane Consulate website was up again on Monday, March 11. 

Registration for an account was straight forward and immediate (and required no telephone calls). When I signed in about 8 pm, the first available appointment was on March 26, which I took. I received an email immediately.

>>>Your appointment has been set.

Your appointment is on Tue 26, March 2019 from 09:00 - 12:00 at the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

Please Print or Show this email message once you get to the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

You will be expected to arrive for your appointment at exactly 30 minutes before your schedule. 

Even if you arrive early, you will not be entertained until 30 minutes before your appointment, <<<

My queue number in the mid 200's. Does this mean that I'll be standing outside the gate in the sun for about 3 hours? Could be a fun day.  

4 hours ago, hsoa said:

The Vientiane Consulate website was up again on Monday, March 11. 

Registration for an account was straight forward and immediate (and required no telephone calls). When I signed in about 8 pm, the first available appointment was on March 26, which I took. I received an email immediately.

>>>Your appointment has been set.

Your appointment is on Tue 26, March 2019 from 09:00 - 12:00 at the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

Please Print or Show this email message once you get to the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

You will be expected to arrive for your appointment at exactly 30 minutes before your schedule. 

Even if you arrive early, you will not be entertained until 30 minutes before your appointment, <<<

My queue number in the mid 200's. Does this mean that I'll be standing outside the gate in the sun for about 3 hours? Could be a fun day.  

They follow the queue number so don't get there early. I guess around 10h is ok. If you are late for your queue number not a problem they let you right in.

I had mid 300's and waited until about 11h until I could get in.

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I always waited at the shaded restaurant across the street, periodically checking to see where they were in the numbers.  That was for pick-up, in those days, but should also now work for drop-off, since the queue-system is in place.

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I always waited at the shaded restaurant across the street, periodically checking to see where they were in the numbers.  That was for pick-up, in those days, but should also now work for drop-off, since the queue-system is in place.

Think that thats closed down now

• Like 1

For single entry tourist visas, does the consulate in Vientiane require onward tickets, hotel bookings or proof of sufficient funds? In the past, none of these were necessary. Has this changed? Are they asking for any of these items these days?

Can anyone respond?