Military officers to dominate NCPO-appointed Senate

rooster59

Military officers to dominate NCPO-appointed Senate

Prawit-Wongsuwan.png

The 194 senators to be handpicked by the Thailand’s military junta, which is officially known as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), are expected to be dominated by active and retired generals with close links to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngarm said yesterday that a shortlist of 400 senatorial candidates, representing professional groups and Thailand’s 76 provinces, had been vetted by a screening committee and their names are expected to be in the hands of the NCPO today.

The NCPO will then choose a total of 194 to become senators.  Additionally, there are six ex-officio senators, namely the supreme commander, the commanders of the army, navy and air force, the national police chief and the defence permanent secretary.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/military-officers-to-dominate-ncpo-appointed-senate/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-10

Another branch of corruption which is supposed to being stamped out, I look forward to seeing General Doggs-Body and Private Parttz along with other Yezman in due course, Democracy is what I say it is!

"The reformed House of Lords should have 300 members of whom 240 are "Elected Members" and 60 appointed "Independent Members". Up to 12 Church of England bishops may sit in the house as ex officio "Lords Spiritual". Elected Members will serve a single, non-renewable term of 15 years." - Wikipedia

Yep... “should”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, notagain said:

Did anyone really expect a different outcome ? Im not sure why they are even bothering with this election as the money spent on it could be used for much better things.

Another submarine.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Democratic countries elect their own Senators

As a Canadian I take exception to your remark. Canadian senators are appointed and I consider Canada a democratic country.

• Like 2

I would be surprised if "Career-Military-Men" had acquired sufficient breadth/depth of knowledge/expertise regarding legal/financial/economic/business/agricultural/social/health/education-matters to oversee in depth the details of the work done by the Lower House. 

Edited by andersonat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, andersonat said:

I would be surprised if "Career-Military-Men" had sufficient breadth/depth of knowledge regarding legal/financial/economic/business/agricultural/social/health/education-matters to oversee the details of the work done by the Lower House. 

Such drawbacks don't seem to have constrained the current government

• Like 1

All seems a touch shonky to me...

Still, TiT, not sure what I should have expected, not known for their honesty and integrity, just people I guess, but without the inconvenience of having any principles.

I see the EC has failed the international test, I'm sure that'll make a difference.

Edited by MisterPenguin

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Such drawbacks don't seem to have constrained the current government

Seems right. Which is why the economy seems like it's in the toilet - unless of course you believe the self-congratulatory men at tht top table.

Not that they'd lie of course, perish the thought.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Democratic countries elect their own Senators

So the Republic of Ireland and Canada (Members of the Canadian second chamber are effectively appointed by the Prime Minister, nominally to represent the provinces of the country: Source Wiki) aren't democratic countries then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterPenguin said:

Seems right. Which is why the economy seems like it's in the toilet - unless of course you believe the self-congratulatory men at tht top table.

Not that they'd lie of course, perish the thought.

Bloomberg, and most other financial media outlets don't agree with your insightful analysis of the Thai economy at the moment.

Perhaps you'd care to share with us why you believe your're right and all those highly paid experts are wrong?

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

"The reformed House of Lords should have 300 members of whom 240 are "Elected Members" and 60 appointed "Independent Members". Up to 12 Church of England bishops may sit in the house as ex officio "Lords Spiritual". Elected Members will serve a single, non-renewable term of 15 years." - Wikipedia

And when is that going to be implemented?

1 hour ago, MisterPenguin said:

All seems a touch shonky to me...

Still, TiT, not sure what I should have expected, not known for their honesty and integrity, just people I guess, but without the inconvenience of having any principles.

I see the EC has failed the international test, I'm sure that'll make a difference.

Could you provide a link for your last comment please?