Higher fines for rogue taxi drivers in the offing

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture; Daily News

A deputy at the Department of Land Transport told the Thai media that the DLT are preparing to present proposals for higher fines for rogue taxi drivers - especially repeat and habitual offenders. 

Daily News reported that those drivers who the DLT want to come down harder on are ones that refuse passengers and rip people off with random fares not using the meter. 

Kamon Buranapong said that discussions were underway to propose changes to two laws promulgated in 1979 that are now out of date. 

The 2,000 baht fine on the books is considered just not enough of a deterrent. 

Plans are underway to present proposals when the new government is formed after the election. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-12

All just talk until it happens,the fine must be large enough to act as

a deterrent,maybe points system ,reach 10 points you can no longer

drive a taxi,the taxi drivers in Singapore,Malaysia,and Vietnam follow

the rules,why cannot Thai taxi drivers do the same........I know asking a bit too much.

regards Worgeordie

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Plans are underway to present proposals when the new government is formed after the election. 

I think it is obvious that after the new government is fully formed, and everyone is firmly ensconced in their respective sinecures then the following should be adopted.......

A fact finding mission to explore how other Government agencies around the world have dealt with this problem. Starting with Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia. Then move on to compare these with Bali, New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji. After correlation of those facts, a move to compare the East with the West, starting with Canada, moving through the Western USA, across Latin America, and up the Eastern Seaboard of USA. finally over to Europe, where a fact finding cavalcade will move in a slow anti clockwise spiral culminating somewhere in the centre of Switzerland. Several Committees can then be formed upon return to Thailand, with a series of buffet lunches in expensive well appointed meeting halls to come to an a- greed conclusion on the way forward.......

Higher fines for Taxi drivers = low hanging fruit! How about higher fines for corrupt Police or higher fines for corrupt Politicians - "watch" this space, nothing will happen :goof:

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

Taxi driver 1: I overcharged a tourist

DLT: OK, that's fine.

Taxi driver 2: I found two million Baht in the back of my taxi and kept it

DLT: Yup that's fine too.

Reminded myself why I NEVER ride with these scumbags unless I have no other choice. Had to go to Bumrungrad hospital so tried to get a cab soi 11.  Im not joking but everysingle one of the 7 cabs that stopped all rolled down the front window and all wanted a 100 baht. It was bizzare they all wanted exactly the same amount for what is a 37 baht trip

Then last week at immigration 4.30 pm several wanted 300 baht to Mo chit BTS . 

They will never change, in fact they are getting worse

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Reminded myself why I NEVER ride with these scumbags unless I have no other choice. Had to go to Bumrungrad hospital so tried to get a cab soi 11.  Im not joking but everysingle one of the 7 cabs that stopped all rolled down the front window and all wanted a 100 baht. It was bizzare they all wanted exactly the same amount for what is a 37 baht trip

Reminded myself why I NEVER ride with these scumbags unless I have no other choice. Had to go to Bumrungrad hospital so tried to get a cab soi 11.  Im not joking but everysingle one of the 7 cabs that stopped all rolled down the front window and all wanted a 100 baht. It was bizzare they all wanted exactly the same amount for what is a 37 baht trip......You COULD Have " WALKED " That very SHORT Distance,EASILY !! Unless You've got 2 Broken Legs that is ?? If You couldn't why not pay the 100 Baht ?? Jeezus it's 2.50 gbp OR 3 US$ !!!!!

12 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Reminded myself why I NEVER ride with these scumbags unless I have no other choice. Had to go to Bumrungrad hospital so tried to get a cab soi 11.  Im not joking but everysingle one of the 7 cabs that stopped all rolled down the front window and all wanted a 100 baht. It was bizzare they all wanted exactly the same amount for what is a 37 baht trip......You COULD Have " WALKED " That very SHORT Distance,EASILY !! Unless You've got 2 Broken Legs that is ?? If You couldn't why not pay the 100 Baht ?? Jeezus it's 2.50 gbp OR 3 US$ !!!!!

Soi 11 to Bomrumgrad just a walk in the park

23 minutes ago, madmen said:

yeah i remember a thai guy telling me the story about his son was a school teacher but making more money driving now.... it's not about the 100 baht it's about being ripped off and like the scumbag mbike riders in pattaya who rip off the poor thais as well by demanding 100 baht for 20 baht trips

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I think it is obvious that after the new government is fully formed, and everyone is firmly ensconced in their respective sinecures then the following should be adopted.......

A fact finding mission to explore how other Government agencies around the world have dealt with this problem. Starting with Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia. Then move on to compare these with Bali, New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji. After correlation of those facts, a move to compare the East with the West, starting with Canada, moving through the Western USA, across Latin America, and up the Eastern Seaboard of USA. finally over to Europe, where a fact finding cavalcade will move in a slow anti clockwise spiral culminating somewhere in the centre of Switzerland. Several Committees can then be formed upon return to Thailand, with a series of buffet lunches in expensive well appointed meeting halls to come to an a- greed conclusion on the way forward.......

The way forward being no change !

More media-lip-service... 

No one really cares enough about these issue.  

Someone higher up makes an announcement and with complete arrogance believes his ‘gospel’ word will be followed. Instead, once the media has printed the statements of whichever arrogant but ultimately careless policitcal climber, things go quiet and nothing changes whatsoever.....  If we’re lucky there will be one day of Thailands famous ‘crack-downs’... 30 drivers will be given warning, some even a nominal charge before we read a flurry of ‘bag left in taxi - bag returned’ news articles and things go back to the norm, which is Taxi’s doing whatever they want with impunity... 

Meanwhile ensuing discussions on Thaivisa are include.... “I’ve never had an issue with a taxi”... “it must be a language issue”....  etc too.. “its ok in Bangkok, in others Cities its much worse”. This last point is fairly valid - These attempts to deal with these issues are always in Bangkok, rarely are the issues in other cities and towns such as Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc addressed.

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

the rules,why cannot Thai taxi drivers do the same........I know asking a bit too much.

regards Worgeordie

You are making way too much sense!

10 hours ago, madmen said:

In general, they are blow-flies feeding off of the rotting corpse of an ineffective and impotent system.

10 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I needed hip x rays ....maybe that gives a clue why I needed a cab. You always make a fool of yourself like this?

Engage brain first..think...engage key board last. Good boy 

Im a man of principle and money has nothing to do with it. I got a meter cab on number 8. Its total idiots that jump into a cab at any old price. Those idiots are part of the problem!!!

Can we pay them based on how well they drive? Meaning following road rules, and possibly not putting our lives in danger by making sure they use blinkers, maybe not using the breakdown lane as a high-speed passing lane, not crossing solid lines or hash mark areas, and not dangerously cutting off other vehicles in heavy traffic? Expecting any type of professionalism, or to follow any type of rules/regulations first requires enforcement by police, which is almost never going to happen here, so lets put this lip-service to rest, like the many others parroted every so often, but ignored next week.....file this story in the circular file.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

I needed hip x rays ....maybe that gives a clue why I needed a cab. You always make a fool of yourself like this?

Engage brain first..think...engage key board last. Good boy 

Im a man of principle and money has nothing to do with it. I got a meter cab on number 8. Its total idiots that jump into a cab at any old price. Those idiots are part of the problem!!!

The people who say it's OK it's only a 100 baht are the ones who help the problem continue.  Accept the fare, the passenger pays what the meter says - how simple is that?

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

I haven't been to KL for a few years but the taxi drivers were a disgrace. In Hanoi last December I was in a taxi with a rigged metre and he tried but failed to charge me 20 times the price. Singapore are fine.

Archived