Border bounce Chong Chom (Surin) to O Smach (Cambodia)

Hi guys, does anyone have any recent experience of doing a border bounce via the Chong Chom/O Smach checkpoint ? Can it be done same day without any issues ? 

Im also reading on the Cambodia e-visa website that this crossing allows exit but does not allow entry, can anyone clarify this ? 

I have a 12 month multiple entry Non immigrant O visa, so im not a visa dodger !

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, ewwwanuel said:

Hi. I'm planning to cross the Chong Chom border this month to obtain my  second visa exemption. Has anyone done it recently or can confirm it's possible. Kind regards.

No problem to do it if you it is only your 2nd one this year at a land border crossing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ubonjoe,

i need to doing a border bounce at Chong Chom, to extend my Thai visa (1 year multiple entry Non immigrant O visa), i will go this Sunday  but i never been there.
Can it be done this day without any issues 

My visa has already been land extended 3 times at Wang Kelian (malaysian border)
No problem for same day entry/return ?

As usual, just need to cross Thai border, make a simple Cambodian visa and come back to Thai border for visa stamp?

It looks like Thai immigration checkpoint is open everyday

https://www.thailandtourismdirectory.go.th/en/info/attraction/detail/itemid/1169

Can u confirm me that opening is the same for Cambodian immigration at this border?
Thank s a lot if you can reply me quickly ! I m pretty rushed with the time

Edited by sebastien Froncek

8 minutes ago, tomster said:

How about coming through this border for a 30 day visa exempt (I have no other visa exempt entries in the last few years)? Is it any harder then other borders, any gotchya's unique to this one?
And are they likely to ask to see 20k in cash, obviously no problem to have it in dollars but would rather avoid the two sets of bank charges if it won't be required.

No problem at the Chong Chom crossing.

In don't recall any reports of them asking to see  the 10k baht for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem at the Chong Chom crossing.

In don't recall any reports of them asking to see  the 10k baht for a visa exempt entry.

+1 .... but Chong sa Ngam, a little further away in Sisaket is friendlier - and quieter.  I believe that they charge 300 Baht less - not sure if that is the visa fee 1,200 Baht vs 1,500 Baht or the 300 Baht 'fine' for not staying in Cambodia for one night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

+1 .... but Chong sa Ngam, a little further away in Sisaket is friendlier - and quieter.  I believe that they charge 300 Baht less - not sure if that is the visa fee 1,200 Baht vs 1,500 Baht or the 300 Baht 'fine' for not staying in Cambodia for one night.

Reports I'm getting is they are now like CC 1800 baht total for a u turn plus the Thai IO is trying to hog in on an extra brown envelope for them. Your mileage may very.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Cambodian visa is $30>> no reason to pay 1,200 baht>Just go to any bank and buy ur $$
not stay a night   300 baht

Could you please clarify.   (no reason to pay 1,200 baht)   (go to any bank and buy ur $$)

9 hours ago, albertik said:

Could you please clarify.   (no reason to pay 1,200 baht)   (go to any bank and buy ur $$)

Exchange your Baht for Dollars before going, and pay in Dollars.  The big rip-off is the "conversion rate" used by Cambodian (and Laos) immigration for their VOA fee.

I have always had to throw in an extra 100 Baht to get Cambodian IOs to process the VOA, though.  Some report far higher if crossing at Koh Kong, with severe intimidation for failure to cough up the extra money.  Others report if you wait long enough, they will eventually do it w/o the extra - YMMV.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 1:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem to do it the same day.

The crossing is open everyday and the hours on that site appear to be correct.

Hi ubonjoe

I stay at Chaiyaphum.
2½  months ago, I've been by myself to Chong Chom to make my border bounce.
I expect to go again in 2 weeks but the last time, the Thai officer told me that for the next bounder bounce there i can't get 3 months extension.

I have a Non imm O visa (multiple). 
My Visa is available until the 11 Nov 2019 (1 year already) but normaly i should  3 months extension (so a total of 15 months with the same visa) and  I should get my border form valid until around the 1rst February 2020.

But the last time, the thai officer in Chong chom looks not aware that i can get this 3 months extension.

i think i will get no choice that going with a Visa tour agency from bangkok (to Myanmar or Poipet), to be sure to get my extension.

Do you have any recommendations ?

Thanks 

Edited by sebastien Froncek

10 hours ago, sebastien Froncek said:

My Visa is available until the 11 Nov 2019 (1 year already) but normaly i should  3 months extension (so a total of 15 months with the same visa) and  I should get my border form valid until around the 1rst February 2020.

But the last time, the thai officer in Chong chom looks not aware that i can get this 3 months extension.

You get a new 90 day permit to stay from your non-o visa not an extension when do a new entry. Extensions are only applied for at a immigration office.

The officer was incorrect or it was just a misunderstanding. You will get a new 90 day permit to stay at Chong Chom if you do it before the the day your visa expires.

There are other crossing you can go to much closer than going to Bangkok for a border run. There is a crossing at Sangam in Sisaket. Map here. https://goo.gl/maps/BfsNaZhBWQ5MRKfj7

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

You get a new 90 day permit to stay from your non-o visa not an extension when do a new entry. Extensions are only applied for at a immigration office.

The officer was incorrect or it was just a misunderstanding. You will get a new 90 day permit to stay at Chong Chom if you do it before the the day your visa expires.

There are other crossing you can go to much closer than going to Bangkok for a border run. There is a crossing at Sangam in Sisaket. Map here. https://goo.gl/maps/BfsNaZhBWQ5MRKfj7

Ok Thanks a lot Ubonjoe ! 

• 2 months later...

Hi, just wondering if the info here is still correct. Will have to do mid-visa border run on METV at the end of the month. Did the last one at Poipet in June 2018, when the 24 hour rule was not enforced yet. Had to pay 200 Baht tea money in Chong Chom last time I was there in 2017 so just want to check if that will still work.

21 minutes ago, RaduAlex said:

Hi, just wondering if the info here is still correct. Will have to do mid-visa border run on METV at the end of the month. Did the last one at Poipet in June 2018, when the 24 hour rule was not enforced yet. Had to pay 200 Baht tea money in Chong Chom last time I was there in 2017 so just want to check if that will still work.

No changes at Chong Chom. But I think it 300 baht for not staying overnight now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

One, er, two more question(s) about Chong Chom: I've read they're really picky now about paying in $ because it deprives them of the opportunity to rip you off. Is handing over $30 and wait sufficient or are they gonna make a real stink? And is it OK to go in the evening as it does not look very busy?

1 minute ago, RaduAlex said:

One, er, two more question(s) about Chong Chom: I've read they're really picky now about paying in $ because it deprives them of the opportunity to rip you off. Is handing over $30 and wait sufficient or are they gonna make a real stink? And is it OK to go in the evening as it does not look very busy?

You can try but be prepared to pay in baht. The crossing closes at 7pm I want to say. It is not that busy during the day.

• Thanks 1