How To Write "first, I Must Apologize"

nakriian

I would like some input on how to write "First, I must apologize" in thai language. I have built a sentence that I am happy with, however, I didn't want to write it in my initial thread. I figured I would let you guys start from scratch, then I can post my thai sentence for comparison.

The difficulty I ran into is the multiple ways you can say "first". Also, the muliple word choices to indicate "must" also made it difficult to make a final selection on the proper wording.

I invite you to post your thai sentence of choice to best represent "First, I must apologize".

I would like some input on how to write "First, I must apologize" in thai language. I have built a sentence that I am happy with, however, I didn't want to write it in my initial thread. I figured I would let you guys start from scratch, then I can post my thai sentence for comparison.

The difficulty I ran into is the multiple ways you can say "first". Also, the muliple word choices to indicate "must" also made it difficult to make a final selection on the proper wording.

I invite you to post your thai sentence of choice to best represent "First, I must apologize".

I would say; ผมต้องฃอโทษก่อน

but I am no expert

To say, "First, I must apologize", I have been saying ก่อนอื่น ผมต้องขออภัยครับ

ก่อน อื่น ผม ต้อง ขออภัย ครับ

Gaan eeun pom dtang korapai krap

Please tell me if this sounds fine or if I need to work on this sentence. I want my sentence to be common and flowing so I am understood. I do not want to use sentence that is not recognizable to thai people.

Thanks for the earlier replies.

When I think of ขอโทษ (kortot) I think "excuse me" more than I think "I'm sorry". Wouldn't ขออภัย (kor apai) be more appropriate for "I'm sorry". I could be wrong, maybe ขอโทษ means "I'm Sorry" also.

And when making an apology don't forget to use an appropriate pronoun for yourself such as khaphracao whilst addressing the other person as thaan. When apologizing, Thai allows one to explore multiple levels of obseqiousness, levels not as easily offered by using English. :o

And when making an apology don't forget to use an appropriate pronoun for yourself such as khaphracao whilst addressing the other person as thaan. When apologizing, Thai allows one to explore multiple levels of obseqiousness, levels not as easily offered by using English. :o

Can you or anyone else please type khaphracao or thaan in thai script please?

Please tell me if this sounds fine or if I need to work on this sentence. I want my sentence to be common and flowing so I am understood. I do not want to use sentence that is not recognizable to thai people.

emm ...your sentence sounds fine but it's too formal ,not natural.

I think , it should be "ก่อนอื่น ผมต้องขอโทษ(ด้วย)"

(Gorn eun phom dtong kho thot(dauy) )

When I think of ขอโทษ (kortot) I think "excuse me" more than I think "I'm sorry".

lol .. you know? We Thais are confusing sometimes by the sentences "excuse me" and "I'm sorry"

Because both of them ,we just say "Khor thot" ขอโทษ

It might be easier for people to make suggestions if they knew what you are apologising for; did you break wind in the lift or murder the M.D.'s grandmother with an axe for example - each would require a different degree of apology.

Patrick

emm ...your sentence sounds fine but it's too formal ,not natural.

I think , it should be "ก่อนอื่น ผมต้องขอโทษ(ด้วย)"

(Gorn eun phom dtong kho thot(dauy) )

When I think of ขอโทษ (kortot) I think "excuse me" more than I think "I'm sorry".
lol .. you know? We Thais are confusing sometimes by the sentences "excuse me" and "I'm sorry"

Because both of them ,we just say "Khor thot" ขอโทษ

As in Thai any apology means what the context indicates.

'gorn' means 'before' right? so does this mean 'before anything else' if so, do we need to know what the 'else' refers to or is it idiomatic sufficient to mean nothing? What about a 'krap' before pom?

so does this mean 'before anything else'
Yes, that's the makeup of the construction although 'First' is a more natural translation. Since we are talking about the beginning of a letter, 'else' refers to whatever else follows - i.e. the rest of the letter.
What about a 'krap' before pom?

No, that would sound strange - unless you mean using the pronoun กระผม instead of ผม. But then again, that would create a stylistic clash with ขอโทษ - if you use กระผม you would be more likely to continue with a more deferential 'bprathaan thood' or something similar.

No, that would sound strange - unless you mean using the pronoun กระผม instead of ผม. But then again, that would create a stylistic clash with ขอโทษ - if you use กระผม you would be more likely to continue with a more deferential 'bprathaan thood' or something similar.

I have only used กระผม as a very polite affirmative/confirmative particle when needing to kiss someone's tush such as a Thai bureacrat at the local Amphoe office although I have never needed to stoop low enough for a prathaan thood although I do vaguely remember the phrase from my university days of studying Thai.