Chiang Mai

pentri

Hi to all! I am new on the site, so forgive me if my questioning sounds routine. I plan to retire in June and am considering a move to Chiang Mai. Would a retirement income of 50,000 US be sufficient to live very well there? Someone told me that it is expensive to live there. My girl wants to return to Thailand to live, but wants to live in Chiang Mai. She is from Kon Kaen.

Hi to all! I am new on the site, so forgive me if my questioning sounds routine. I plan to retire in June and am considering a move to Chiang Mai. Would a retirement income of 50,000 US be sufficient to live very well there? Someone told me that it is expensive to live there. My girl wants to return to Thailand to live, but wants to live in Chiang Mai. She is from Kon Kaen.

Is that 50K USD for a year ??? :o mate you could almost buy the town for that, if thats the case..

If you need a lifestyle designer :o you can PM me and i can help you spend your money and make you live in comfort whahhahahahahahah ( seriously i am good at spending money )

Yes, but is the OP interested in spending money on bondage gear?

I may have one of these he could have....now where did i put it.............

post-31110-1172737166_thumb.jpg

~

My skepticism flags are going up all over the place here..

The OP has a girlfriend from Thailand who cannot advise him whether he can live comfortably on $50k/yr here in CM?

Sounds phishy. Or if for real, depends on just how high on the hog you wish to live. Anywhere in Thailand is certainly cheaper than even Dirtville, GA and I should think that anyone who has either been here or has a Thai girl would know that.

Over 4,000 US $ per month - yes, very well.

chiangmai is one of the cheaper citys to live 50000 grand you can live anywhere unless your girl like toys then be careful :o

4k is enough for you to stay a Year .

let me help you do a simple Math .

4k usd = 140k

Cheap lifetyle

Cheap condo 2.5k a month = ( 30k a year )

Food for 2 = 140 baht a day = ( 51.1k a year )

Misc 1500 a month = ( 18k a year )

Total = 99.1k baht

Average lifestyle

Average condo = 4k a month = 48k ( per year )

Food for 2 = 200 baht a day = 73k ( per year )

misc 2000 per month = 24k ( per year )

Total = 145k

Mid high

Average House = 7k a month = ( 84k a year )

Food for 2 = 400 baht a day = ( 146k per year )

Misc 3500k per month = ( 42k per year )

Total = 272k baht

High life Average

House = 15k per month = ( 180k per year )

Food for 2 =800 per day = (292k per year )

Misc 8k per month = ( 96k per year )

Total = 568k per year

Custom lifestyle

Please pm me

whahahahhaha

If your girl make you worry that 50k Usd is not enough . as a lifestyle designer i would suggest a new girl friend .

here another smiple math ..

New girl every night

365 days = 365k baht

still work out to be below 10k usd a year -

SO if you going to throw 50k usd i think you need me as a lifestyle designer to help you spend it here .

Edited by Ta22

:o my bad . i am sorry if it sound bad .

i by no mean imply to your GF as one .

BUt if anyone tell you 50k usd is not enough to stay in chiangmai .

my suggestion is you keep a disatnce from that person .

cos he or she is trying either to RIP YOU OFF > or is just saying without knowing .

:D my bad . i am sorry if it sound bad .

i by no mean imply to your GF as one .

BUt if anyone tell you 50k usd is not enough to stay in chiangmai .

my suggestion is you keep a disatnce from that person .

cos he or she is trying either to RIP YOU OFF > or is just saying without knowing .

perhaps she has a high maintanance lifesytle to which shes accustomed to in the western world, som-tum can be awfully expensive from where they are living at the moment :o

May I just mention that the original poster is very LUCKY that his lady prefers Chiang Mai to live? It could just as easily have been Khon Kaen... :o

(Not that there's anything wrong with Khon Kaen of course, but CHiang mai can be more international if you want it to be)

Of course on that budget you could live absolutely anywhere, or even live in multiple locations including some very nice beach-side ones.

$50K is certainly enough to live well in Chiang Mai, but it is also true for most people that the more you have, the more you spend. I've seen a number of foreigners move here with plenty of money and burn through it faster than they expected. Especially because there is a growing pseudo-economy in Chiang Mai of businesses set up to deal with farang only, at a premium. I'm sure others on the board also know that these days lots of people make a business "renting houses to farang," because they can get about twice what any sane Thai person would pay. Real estate, cars, appliances, furniture--everyone wants to make a buck of the newbie.

So here are some guidelines you may wish to consider.

Don't buy a house or condo or anything in your first year. Wait til you get to know the city and the market. If you buy too fast, then then decide you don't like the city or something, you'll probably take a big loss when you sell.

If you rent, don't pay more than 10-15K baht per month.

If you buy a house, don't spend more than 4 million baht, and since it sounds like there are just 2 of you, you can probably spend much less, especially if you want a condo

If you buy a car, buy a good second hand one for no more than 300K max

Don't automatically start shopping at the farang-oriented supermarkets. Make Thai food your staple and eat farang only sometimes. Otherwise you'll be amazed at how often you are pulling out the 1000 baht notes at Rimping et al. If you aren't ready to eat Thai daily, and want to stick to farang food, you may become dissatisfied with your choices after a short while (read the food threads here if you want to see all the pizza and burger induced depression).

But aside from these few cautions, which apply anywhere, Chiang Mai is a great place to live, and you can live comfortably on $50K. Welcome to town.

High life Average

Total = 568k per year

You seem to have completely missed these other insignificant items :o

Maid= 3000 p/m

Electricity= 3000 p/m

Mobile= 1500 p/m

House phones= 500 p/m

Internet= 1000 p/m

Car insurance/tax= 1500 p/m

Petrol= 5/6000 p/m

Water= 500 p/m

House insurance= 700 p/m

Gardener= 600 p/m

Rubbish collection= 30 p/m :D

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m

Horizontal sundries= 12,000 p/m

Gas bottles= 500 p/m

UBC= 1500/2000 p/m

There's another 50.000 baht for you! Either you live a hermits existance, or need to buy a new calculator!

For those that don't indulge in any of the above, why not look for some real estate in the local cemetery :D

. . . . .

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m

. . . . .

For those that don't indulge in any of the above, why not look for some real estate in the local cemetery :D

Obtaining real estate in the local cemetary might be even more important for some of those who do indulge! :D

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m - beer is 37 baht a bottle - work out to be about 405 bottle a month 13 plus bottle a day

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m <---- That is about 66pcs a month - 2.2 pack a day if it 45 baht a pack .

Horizontal sundries= 12,000 p/m What that ?

there is no limit to how much you can spend . and over pay .

-so far the price i give is base on Basic of

Food and housing ,

i suggest statlite TV . is a one time fee of 20k-30k

no monthly payment

- so far i had listed Average liftstyle . whahahahah

if you want custom lifestyle you got to PM me and i will see and cater to your needs . whahahahah

Rasseru here a free lifestyle advice for you . cut down on your Achohol .. and cigarette .

cos spending on those . does not improve your lifestyle in long run :o

but of cos is your choice , i used to be a smoker and i only smoke davidoff .

> Horizontal sundries= 12,000 p/m What that ?

Internet Definitions for Sundries:

"Snacks at the bar, such as popcorn or nuts."

Then horizontal is when you get takeaway bar snacks that go starfish.

To be honest I didn't know what he meant initially also, especially as the amount is so low. :o Then again he could be in the Sripingmuang Posse.

Rasseru here a free lifestyle advice for you . cut down on your Achohol .. and cigarette .

cos spending on those . does not improve your lifestyle in long run :o

but of cos is your choice . . . .

Ta22, you know I am big fan of yours, albeit an involuntary one, manipulated into fandom by a highly trained military expert, as has been exposed elsewhere on this forum, so I could never say that you are way out to lunch on this (or anything else), but having your best interests at heart I will warn you that others might say some such thing: I mean, you offer me free lifestyle advice based on a post I didn't even make! :D

High life Average

Total = 568k per year

Maid= 3000 p/m

Electricity= 3000 p/m

Mobile= 1500 p/m

House phones= 500 p/m

Internet= 1000 p/m

Petrol= 5/6000 p/m

Water= 500 p/m

House insurance= 700 p/m

Gardener= 600 p/m

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m

Gas bottles= 500 p/m

UBC= 1500/2000 p/m

There's another 50.000 baht for you! Either you live a hermits existance, or need to buy a new calculator!

For those that don't indulge in any of the above, why not look for some real estate in the local cemetery :bah:

:D :D :D Roger that...that's the truth Ruth. And add on top of that school fees (if you have rug-rats)...3x kids x international school= 400,000-1,000,000 per year... :bah:

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m - beer is 37 baht a bottle - work out to be about 405 bottle a month 13 plus bottle a day

I don't drink beer unless the distilleries have stopped scotch production, and Monsieur Lapostolle has run out of oranges :o

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m <---- That is about 66pcs a month - 2.2 pack a day if it 45 baht a pack .

I was being conservative here, as I actually spend 1400 baht a week on cigarettes, which is over 6000 p/m, and you can't buy half decent fags for 45 baht

Horizontal sundries= 12,000 p/m What that ?

Also a conservative estimate. I probably invest closer to 20,000

Food and housing ,

i suggest statlite TV . is a one time fee of 20k-30k

no monthly payment

Unless you have been away, UBC still charges 1500 for gold package and 2000 for the platinum.

cos spending on those . does not improve your lifestyle in long run :D

but of cos is your choice , i used to be a smoker and i only smoke davidoff .

when i say statlite TV i mean a Large stalite dish that is mounted on your roof . i neevr use UBC before .

i get about 300 channel - and more but i only stick to a few .

- i seldom visit BARs

i prefer beer to sangsom and sangsom to mekong

:o enjoy your bar trip

Maid= 3000 p/m

Electricity= 3000 p/m

Mobile= 1500 p/m

House phones= 500 p/m

Internet= 1000 p/m

Petrol= 5/6000 p/m

Water= 500 p/m

House insurance= 700 p/m

Gardener= 600 p/m

Alcohol= 15,000 p/m

Cigarettes= 3000 p/m

Gas bottles= 500 p/m

UBC= 1500/2000 p/m

Great post!

My retirement is in line with the OP's and your list is pretty much right on, Puwa. I don't do the cigs nor drive a Humvee like you must do but make up for it by having not only a decent home but my own private get-away.

Even at that, at roughly 150k Baht/mo, one can do quite well pretty much anywhere in Thailand and have enuf left over to save up for travels around the world or the occasional Burger King Cheese Whopper, eh?

You have a maid AND a gardener, Puwa?!?

And are "horizontal sundries" ladies of de-light?

I also assume that "gas bottles" refers to nitrous oxide and, as a dentist and someone interested in increasing the power of my internal combustion engine, I would appreciate knowing your source. :D:D

Back to this OP, having the education and experience to earn a retirement income of 150k Baht/mo (if this person even exists) he can surely discover for himself the relative differences in costs of living in countries throughout the world, eh?

Okay, I am being da skeptic again and my apologies to the OP if you are indeed sincere., Drag your butt over here and try it out for a while. If it does not meet your needs or expectations you can, certainly with your income, explore this planet of our's until you find a place that you simply cannot leave...

There are lots of us "good guys" here and lots who will milk you dry, as in anywhere else in the world. If you decide, like me, that Chiang Mai is home for the rest of your life, let us know and we will welcome a new friend and fellow expat...

Namaste

Hi All,

I copied this cost of living from http://www.udonmap.com/costs_of_living.html

i expect that Chaing Mai would be more expensive than Udon but it is a fairly complete list.

regards

Foggy Dew

Costs of Living as of March 2005

Item Cost in baht Cost in UK Pounds Cost in USD

Accommodation 1 GBP = 71.66 baht 1 USD = 41 baht

The average cost of a 3 bedroom house in the city 1,600,000 £ 22,315 $ 38,891

The average cost of a 3 bedroom house on the city outskirts 1,300,000 £ 18,131 $ 31,593

The average rent of a 3 bedroom house in the city (un-furnished) Per month 4,500 £ 63.00 $ 109

City appartment rental (per month) 3,500 £ 49.00 $ 85.26

Average Hotel Room (Per day, 2 people) 700 £ 9.80 $ 17

Average electricity per month (No air-con) 400-600 £ 5.50 - £ 8.40 $ 9.70 - $ 14.63

Average electricity per month (with air-con) 1,500-2,000 £ 21.00 - £ 28.00 $ 36.58 - $ 48.78

Average water cost per month (Small house) 200-400 £ 2.79 - £ 5.58 $ 4.80 - $ 9.75

Average water cost per month (Large House) 600-800 £ 8.37 - £ 11.16 $ 14.63 - $ 19.51

Cable TV (Home cable) or UTV (per month) 300 £ 4.18 $ 7.30

UBC Satellite TV (per month) 1,600 £ 22.32 $ 22.50

Average shopping bill per week (Single Western person) 1,200 £ 16.70 $ 29.00

Average shopping bill per week (Large Western family) 3,000 - 4,000 £ 41.90 - £ 55.80 $ 73.17 - $ 97.56

Monthly washing and ironing service 400 - 500 £ 5.58 - £ 6.90 $ 9.75 - $ 12.19

Monthly house maid service 2,000 - 3,000 £ 27.90 - £ 41.86 $ 48.70 - $ 73.17

Getting Around

Second hand 2-3 year old Toyota Solona car 350,000 £ 4,884 $ 8,536

New Toyota Solona car (Standard Model) 580,000 £ 8,093 $ 14,146

New Honda 100cc motorbike 30,000 £ 418.64 $ 418.64

Secondhand Honda 100cc motorbike 15,000-20,000 £ 209 - £ 279 $ 209.32 - $ 279.09

Car rental (per day) 1,200 £ 16.74 $ 29.26

Car rental (per month) 27,000 £ 376.77 $ 658.53

Truck rental (per day) 1,100

Motorbike rental (per day) 200

Motorbike puncture repair (including labour) 20

Replace motorbike inner tube (including labour) 80

Car Insurance fully comphrensive (First Year) 23,000

Motorcycle taxi around town 40-70

Pedal taxi (rickshaw) around town 20

Santaew (Van taxi) anywhere around town 6

Bus (non-air) to Nong Kha 27

Train to Nong Khai 70

Flight to Bangkok (Nok Air) 1,300

Eating & drinking

Korean BBQ meal per person (all you can eat) 69

Large bottle of Leo beer (from supermarket) 35

Large bottle of Leo beer (from restaurant) 60

Large bottle of Thai beer (from supermarket) 28

Small bottle of Heiniken beer (from supermarket) 33

Small bottle of Heiniken beer (at a disco or club) 80

Packet of Thai cigarettes 35

Vietnamese cigarettes from duty free in Nong Khai (200) 70

Large bottle of Thai Rice Whiskey 60

Large bottle of Thai Rum 140

Standard large Thai Whiskey 120

Scottish whiskey 200

Rice porridge 20

Western food - Pie 'n' chips 100

Sunday roast 150

American style pizza - Medium (free delivery over 150 baht) 199

ILarge Italian style pizza 200

1.5lt bottle of mineral water 13

Can of soft drink 12

4lt box of Australian Lydmans dry red wine (Nong Khai duty free) 470

Johnnie Walker Gold Label whiskey (Nong Khai duty free) 1,040

Sports & Leisure

Swimming pool use at a Hotel 50

Golf (18 holes) 200

Golf caddies 160

Golf cart rental per day 600

Pool/snooker (per game) 20

10pin bowling (per game) 60

Thai massage 1hr 120

Thai massage herbal 3 hours 700

Monthly unlimited internet use at home (dial-up) 350

GPRS internet access 200 hours 500

ADSL internet access 512kbps 600

Local telephone calls (no time limit) 3

Standard computer with 17inch monitor, 20gig hard-drive, 2 gig processor etc 14,000

Budget laptop 27,000