converting an international license in thailand?

Doronazl

Did the UK issue lifetime drivers licences?
Yes the old style paper licence was/is valid until 70 years old...after that it has to be renewed annually if I remember correctly.
The plastic licence is also valid until 70...but has to be "renewed" every 10 years.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes the old style paper licence was/is valid until 70 years old...after that it has to be renewed annually if I remember correctly.
The plastic licence is also valid until 70...but has to be "renewed" every 10 years.

What years were UK lifetime licences issued? I can't find anything online that mentions lifetime licences.

Ha! another complication, the UK address I use now is not the one on UK DL so presumably I should have notified them of that at the time.
Yes you should gave told them of address change...I think (read it a year ago) the fine is 1,000 UKP for not informing them !!

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Hopefully not hijacking the topic, but how would you proceed to reactivate a 2yr DL obtained 20 years ago and allowed to lapse since?

ADD Passport number changed, address changed, IDL out of date if not lost.

If you just took the action 18 years ago, then you had obtained a driving license for life (red license) and no hassle after then. They are not giving those anymore, everyone who get a (re)new(al) gets a 5 years one.

But to your question, you have to make the process all over again. First a two years temporary license then after two years renew every 5 years.

Need: your own national license, the IDP book (so not the 'phony' IDL cards) which translate your license in all languages but Thai, medical certificate, certificate of residence (from embassy or immigration or copy your tambien baan) and a photo. Go Department of Land and Transport, and after 2 or 5 hours walk out with Thai driving license(s).

Rgds,

1 hour ago, CGW said:

The video is only an hour! take your phone and look at it while the video is playing - same as everybody else! 

oh, i read somewhere its 3-4 hours, thats false i guess

thank you ,in that case il do it myself ????

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Where is "home"?

For the IDP (or however called in your country) there are different versions depending on international conventions.

Many (or all?) Thai transport offices (DLT) insist on an IDP based on 1949 convention.

With such an IDP and national license it should be possible to obtain Thai DL without theory and practical test (only physical test and maybe watching video).

Home is Israel, and yes my license is based on 1949 and 1968

3 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

Home is Israel, and yes my license is based on 1949 and 1968

Interesting case. They indeed show both on the front page.

But inside all in Hebrew? Even the categories (usually "A", "B"....)?

Or is in English too?

What years were UK lifetime licences issued? I can't find anything online that mentions lifetime licences.

I don't think they ever called them lifetime

They are valid untill 70 years old then after 70 you have to satisfy a doctor that you are still fit to drive + you have to be at least 16 years old to get a license...so it couldn't ever be for life [emoji39]

37 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how will that save time? anyway good luck. and Op, when you ask questions, you should respond with answers to the people who are trying to help. not just going with the things you want to hear.

no idea how you got that from my responses but ok...

it would save time since there are agents who offer everything being done for you without even attending, i dont know about the legitimacy of it and thats why im asking here.

Thanks anyway

Just now, johng said:

I don't think they ever called them lifetime
Thay are valid untill 70 years old then after 70 you have to satisfy a doctor that you are still fit to drive + you have to be at least 16 years old to get a license...so it couldn't ever be for life emoji39.png

But they didn't have to be renewed until 70? I'm an Aussie but I held a British drivers licence back in the 60's, pretty sure it wasn't valid until 70 though.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It was called a "full" license, as opposed to Provisional license which was what you had until you passed a driving test.

it would save time since there are agents who offer everything being done for you without even attending, i dont know about the legitimacy of it and thats why im asking here.
Thanks anyway

You have to attend the DLT to have a digital photo taken...I would steer well clear of anyone saying they could do it without you attending.

8 minutes ago, johng said:
15 minutes ago, mokwit said:
Ha! another complication, the UK address I use now is not the one on UK DL so presumably I should have notified them of that at the time.

Yes you should gave told them of address change...I think (read it a year ago) the fine is 1,000 UKP for not informing them !!

Obviously a Govt money grab under the guise of ensuring compliance with law (Brown/Blair govt I assume) - hopefully they will accept that I left before that law came in and as was never resident in UK in the interim did not see why I had to do anything.

2 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

Thanks anyway

It wouldn't be legit if you don't actually do at least the colour blindness, reaction and perception tests. I renewed my 5 year licence earlier this year, all up i was at the Transport dept for 3 hours, then walked out with a renewed licence, good until I turn 80.

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

It was called a "full" license, as opposed to Provisional license which was what you had until you passed a driving test.

You are missing my point. I asked when was this type of licence issued, ie one that didn't have to be renewed until you turned 70.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Have UK DL - would I need the IDL as well?

No, you need a IDP.

Your UK Driving license is a IDL valid for example Ireland, Scotland, England, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal or other EU countries, while you will also need an IDP when traveling to the USA (not all states) and also Thailand.

By law the IDP is required, but you can use your local license to show when you are stopped. 99% they won't ask for the IDP, but by law you need to have it so keep it with you with your passport.

What the DLT want is the IDP, and that is a book with translations of your own national driving license.

Rgds,

But they didn't have to be renewed until 70? I'm an Aussie but I held a British drivers licence back in the 60's, pretty sure it wasn't valid until 70 though.
The old style paper licence didn't have to be "renewed" it was valid until you turned 70 then a doctor was to declare you still fit to drive....the new style plastic licence is still valid to 70...but has to be "renewed" every 10 years...this doesn't involve any testing only an updated photo and MONEY...all done online or at the post office.

You can use your Thai (5 year) licences to drive in the UK...as long as you dont have a valid UK one...which would take precedence.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

The old style paper licence didn't have to be "renewed" it was valid until you turned 70 then a doctor was to declare you still fit to drive....the new style plastic licence is still valid to 70...but has to be "renewed" every 10 years...this doesn't involve any testing only an updated photo and MONEY...all done online or at the post office.

You can use your Thai (5 year) licences to drive in the UK...as long as you dont have a valid UK one...which would take precedence.

Still no one has answered my question, what years was this type of licence issued? Really, don't worry about it, it's off topic anyway.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

how will that save time? anyway good luck. and Op, when you ask questions, you should respond with answers to the people who are trying to help. not just going with the things you want to hear.

Agreed, and same goes up for the poster, Nop, who allegedly hijacked this thread.

Just now, johng said:

They have never wanted to see an IDP from me at Chonburi DLT

???? DLT here have never wanted to see my original driving license, just the IDP and my passport and out was I with two new Thai licenses

Archived