Re-entry stamp or not?

This question is aimed at those that have lived in Thailand for a number of years and have recently returned home.

Having a retirement visa I intend to leave Thailand very soon (next week) and not return.

My questions is this: Do I need a re-entry stamp before I exit?

The reason for asking is a friend was recently refused exit, yes, exit from Thailand because he did not have a re-entry stamp. Why I have no idea.

Would appreciate sensible answers only from people that have this experience.

Thanks in advance. 

No you do not need a re-entry stamp if you are not returning to Thailand. Your 1 year visa will just get cancelled. I am returning back to my home country in May, why would I need a re-entry if I am not coming back? 

Edited by balo

If you don't intend to return you don't need a re-entry permit. What for?

Refused to exit due to missing re-entry stamp?

Best guess: lost in translation (they wanted him to prevent from loosing his status) or else?

Refused to exit: arrest warrant, extreme overstay due for court appearance or whatever but not due to missing re-entry permit. Sorry, nonsense.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I agree with you all, it just doesn't make sense why he was refused. He was told to go back and get a re-entry stamp even though his intention was to get a new visa. My worry is getting to the airport and then told to get a re-entry stamp which would not be possible as I would miss my flight.

Suppose for the sake of 1,000baht it would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks all.

4 minutes ago, remobb said:

I agree with you all, it just doesn't make sense why he was refused. He was told to go back and get a re-entry stamp even though his intention was to get a new visa. My worry is getting to the airport and then told to get a re-entry stamp which would not be possible as I would miss my flight.

Suppose for the sake of 1,000baht it would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks all.

I very much doubt your friend was refused exit unless he was arrested on a previously issued warrant. 

The only interpretation I can put on your friend's story is that :-

i) he thought he was being ORDERED to go back and get a re-entry permit.

ii) the IO thought your friend was clueless and needed to be TOLD what to do for his own benefit.

Other than that, it makes no sense. Rhetorical question - Is your friend good at making himself explicitly clear to Thais either in their own language or English?

One scenario I can think of would be if he was attempting to leave the country with a valid extension of stay based upon working at a land border crossing without a termination letter or a re-entry permit. That has happened at Nong Khai and Mukdahan.