Under pressure, Britain's May scrambles to win support for Brexit deal

webfact

Me..I just love the thought of the brussels jobsworths not getting their sticky little paws on the alleged 39 big ones[emoji6]

So if you get your wish, and we hit the 29th with no deal agreed, no extension requested and agreed to, and therefore, in accordance with EU law appertaining to Article 50, we leave with no deal.

Who do you think is going to sort the gigantic mess that will be created?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vogie said:

Bye bye everyone, bye bye.

The claim that MP's would be disrespecting their constituents was made based on the fact that 52% of voters wanted Brexit, a claim requiring us to ignore the 28% of the population who didn't vote which disregards the fact that this 28% of the populace did not demonstrate support for Brexit and so have nothing to that regard to disrespect.  As it was about 1/3 who supported Brexit it is about 1/3 who stand to be disrespected when they delay/scrap Brexit.

6 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Me..I just love the thought of the brussels jobsworths not getting their sticky little paws on the alleged 39 big onesemoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Except that May has conceded that if we leave with no deal then we still pay our debt to the EU.  Minimum of 20 billion has been stated although 26 is more likely.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Have you woke up from the wrong side of the bed. Yes I would like her to go as I know many others would.  It would seem the HOC don't agree with her and it is now for a 3rd time she is trying to peddle her deal. 

Kicking the can down the road is definitely what she is doing.

You are just worried that a brexiteer would be PM.

Consensus, is that a term remainers use to try and stop a referendum result, because it looks like that to me.

It’s about compromise, not cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

You are looking at a two year extension ... more dead Brexiteers, more new pro EU voters, and a vote that you will absolutely lose.

I’m sure little kids in the future will engage in some celebration every 29 March, like Guy Fawkes night, except it will be the day when a motley crew of half wits scuppered a result they’ve been campaigning for all their political lives for. 

“Euro for the Mogg” ... will be the cry.

59 minutes ago, vogie said:

Most people want MPs who will honour the parties manifesto, whether Labour or Tory. They have deceived their electorate by telling them they will work to leave the EU, and after they took their seats in Parliament they also voted to trigger art 50, deal or no deal. Most MPs have since reneged on that pledge. I can only hope that their constituents will trigger their MPs P45.

Honouring manifestos? That's a good one. Nobody believes manifestos. It's a sales document. Many MPs don't even read their own parties' manifestos 

2 hours ago, tebee said:

In,out or half in,the damage done to business is huge,britain is not a place to do business.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Honouring manifestos? That's a good one. Nobody believes manifestos. It's a sales document. Many MPs don't even read their own parties' manifestos 

Looks like they won't honour article 50 either, there is only one way to describe them.......they are worse than useless. I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot, you would be the first to be calling them.

Dw8FWutXcAENJWI.jpg

Just now, vogie said:

Looks like they won't honour article 50 either, there is only one way to describe them.......they are worse than useless. I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot, you would be the first to be calling them.

Dw8FWutXcAENJWI.jpg

This is the worst crop of MPs that I can recall, regardless of party except the "Green Party of one!". 

3 hours ago, tebee said:

It has not completely destroyed Britain’s reputation, or that of the British  people. However the mother of all Parliaments.

D4F94E86-152D-420D-9EBD-22205687549F.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The claim that MP's would be disrespecting their constituents was made based on the fact that 52% of voters wanted Brexit, a claim requiring us to ignore the 28% of the population who didn't vote which disregards the fact that this 28% of the populace did not demonstrate support for Brexit and so have nothing to that regard to disrespect.  As it was about 1/3 who supported Brexit it is about 1/3 who stand to be disrespected when they delay/scrap Brexit.

I have it on equally good information, that the 28% did in fact support Brexit.

5 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

I have it on equally good information, that the 28% did in fact support Brexit.

I think you will find that the 28% couldn't be arsed to get out and vote because they thought it was a forgone conclusion that remain would win.  Their laziness has proved devastating!  But it's too late now to cry over it.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Most people want MPs who will honour the parties manifesto, whether Labour or Tory. They have deceived their electorate by telling them they will work to leave the EU, and after they took their seats in Parliament they also voted to trigger art 50, deal or no deal. Most MPs have since reneged on that pledge. I can only hope that their constituents will trigger their MPs P45.

And here's the Yorkshire teacher on MP bastards.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think you will find that the 28% couldn't be arsed to get out and vote because they thought it was a forgone conclusion that remain would win.  Their laziness has proved devastating!  But it's too late now to cry over it.

I'm not too sure if that is the case, a lot of voters would not turn out to vote if they thought they were going to lose. It was odds on that remain were going to win so surely that in itself would probably deter leave voters from turning out. Remember remain was 1/4 and leave was 3/1.

19 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

They'll make up for it in the second vote.

Just now, tebee said:

I'm one of the 900,000 postal ballots that never arrived 

No would have been adequate answer....

So you don't even have a ticket for the dance.

I did vote  (successfully)....... I made sure my vote counted.

Would have voted if I had a chance - they kept telling me it had been posted.

Now afterwards we find out there were almost one million  postal ballots that "disappeared" 

So May is reduced to counting votes including those that will hold their noses to vote for the deal.

What kind of government is this. How much more embarrassment can the country take.

Stop This Now!

Take a year to have an election and give time for a consensus to be found.

Referendums are a cop out. Parliament needs to decide. I can accept s ratification vote but it is for parliament to agree the way forward

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No would have been adequate answer....

So you don't even have a ticket for the dance.

I did vote  (successfully)....... I made sure my vote counted.

I flew back from Thailand SPECIFICALLY to vote. Don Valley is a poor area in decline. The poor sops backed the wrong horse. I hope their continued pain is relieved soon. The CONs won't help 

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

So May is reduced to counting votes including those that will hold their noses to vote for the deal.

What kind of government is this. How much more embarrassment can the country take.

Stop This Now!

Referendums are a cop out. Parliament needs to decide. I can accept s ratification vote but it is for parliament to agree the way forward

The main good point I see about May's deal is that both Remain and Leave are equally upset by it.

It's a terrible deal bring together the worst points of membership and non-membership.

But at least we can all have the satisfaction of knowing the other side is equally unhappy. 

No one wins.

The ultimate Brexit solution.

47 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'm not too sure if that is the case, a lot of voters would not turn out to vote if they thought they were going to lose. It was odds on that remain were going to win so surely that in itself would probably deter leave voters from turning out. Remember remain was 1/4 and leave was 3/1.

I have no more idea why the 28% didn't vote than you do Vogie.  We are all p*ssing in the wind and guessing.  I was just being facetious. 

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

The main good point I see about May's deal is that both Remain and Leave are equally upset by it.

It's a terrible deal bring together the worst points of membership and non-membership.

But at least we can all have the satisfaction of knowing the other side is equally unhappy. 

No one wins.

The ultimate Brexit solution.

Of course there are no winners but you will still get some Brexiteers claiming it as a win for them.  Actually there will be many on both sides who will remain in denial for evermore.

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Of course there are no winners but you will still get some Brexiteers claiming it as a win for them.  Actually there will be many on both sides who will remain in denial for evermore.

Yes, but a pyrrhic victory.

It's such a bad course that I can see us applying to join the EU again fairly soon  after.

Brexiters in parliament are getting so desperate they may support it, just so the can say they got brexit. And it does consummate the referendum mandate. 

Then maybe we can all get back on with looking to our new future in the EU as a newly enrolled member without all the privileges we once had.  

49 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Stop This Now!

I almost gave you a 'like' but fell short at the 12 month extn. The answer IMO is to leave as planned on 29th which is what I hope to see.

33 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Apparently May is contemplating dumping Olly Robbins in a desperate bid to get her deal through.  She is under pressure to confirm that she will quit in June but is considering sacrificing Robbins instead.

Is that before or after she fires all that defied the whip?

27 minutes ago, tebee said:

Yes, but a pyrrhic victory.

It's such a bad course that I can see us applying to join the EU again fairly soon  after.

Brexiters in parliament are getting so desperate they may support it, just so the can say they got brexit. And it does consummate the referendum mandate. 

Then maybe we can all get back on with looking to our new future in the EU as a newly enrolled member without all the privileges we once had.  

I saw some counter-claims to this yesterday but technically the above is correct.

Archived