Restaurant / Bar In Thailand

There's one figure i'm not sure of:

Howmany bath a day is nessecery for providing a 40 to 60 seat restaurant/bar?

Staff costs will vary depending on the quality that you want their language ability and the amount of hours.

[All figures in THB'K]

You need at least two good english fronters at 8+/ month.

The rest can have less english ability for say 4-6/month.

The cook/chef will depend on your restaurant and the offerings (std cafe fare/bistro/trendy fussion/internationa 5*) and this will be 4-120/month depending on the offering.

You may also need a few other people in the kitchen food preparers etc.

Then there is the fixed costs the electricity water say 10/month.

Accounting & Tax 3/month

I leave out the cost of provisions etc.

That should get you started.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a rule all staff in a small farang run restaurant will simply get the minimum wage which presently is 159 Baht a day in the province where I am . Sure a trained cook could command a higher salary, depending on his abilities. Health insurance for the staff is obligatory nowadays, 5 % of the salary, half is paid by the employee and half by the employer. To give an indication for electricity costs, the bill for my 15 room hotel/restaurant + private house doesnt exceed 10.000 Baht a month. For outsourced bookkeeping 3000 Baht per month is realistic, plus once a year 15.000 Baht for the accountant's signature.

Yess this helps me a lot, now i can do some more calculatings........

What you think of this:

Is 7.500.000 bath a good price for a Restaurant/bar and 15 bungalows (a few are on the beach) and one (old) house ????

The land is on a lease-contract....

How long is a piece of string?

There are so many different considerations (for example location, length of lease, land area, water facilities, etc.) that nobody would want to comment on the price.

But is this the intial offer or the net price?

Does your cashflow produce a positive return at this price?

Are you happy with it.

In case of a business on leased land, everything depends on how long the lease is that the owner is willing to give you. You will need a lease on the name of your own company. When the lease expires, you will loose everything when the owner does not want to give a new lease, and pretty sure if he gives a new lease he will put the rent up. A lease can only be for 3 years or a multiple of 3 years, such as 9 or 30 years. A lease of more than 3 years has to be registered with the municipal land office, and also has to be written on the land paper. A 30 year lease is the limit as far as I know. Do not trust options to renew a lease. Beware there are different types of landpapers in Thailand, you have to verify what type of landpaper the owner has. Not every landpaper gives the same rights as far as for instance construction of buildings and selling the land are concerned. You also have to reseach the history of the landpaper, there have been instances of landpapers being given out illegally, which might spell trouble for buyers down the road. Not so nice if you shell out a lot of cash to buy this place, in order to discover later on that it has been constructed illegally on land that is officially inside a national park.

How do you make a small fortune in Thailand?

Start with a large fortune and buy a bar.

In some cases this has happen. In some other cases, people started with some money and have made a fortune. You simply can't say all people that invest in a bar have made money just like you can't say all people that invest in a bar, have lost money.

Some owners are active in the business, others are not active. Case studies have proven, both types have done well as long as they had good management.

The simple fact is you cannot buy a bar and work in it like ordinary staff. You will not be able to get a work permit. Only Thais are allowed to work in bars.
Sorry but this is not correct. We have gotten quite a number of foreigners work permits that own or work in bars.
Who will you choose for your Thai partners, because with the new FBA you must have majority Thai partners in your company from now on.

Exception to this would be if you own the bar under the Amity Treaty as an American or you were granted an Alien Business License.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, how long is it taking to register treaty companies these days? I know there were big delays not so long ago (pre-coup) when the Miinistry of Commerce put the registrations on hold pending the outcome of the US FTA negotiations which might have superceded or annulled the treaty. Now the FTA negotiations are dead what is the situation?

Sunbelt, how long is it taking to register treaty companies these days? I know there were big delays not so long ago (pre-coup) when the Miinistry of Commerce put the registrations on hold pending the outcome of the US FTA negotiations which might have superceded or annulled the treaty. Now the FTA negotiations are dead what is the situation?

Not SunBelt but my understanding is that the Amity issue is also highlighted under WTO rules as well, so it's under pressure from two directions. Last I head the process was taking about 3 months and was {a couple of months ago} still up and running.

Regards

Question to SunBelt:

I want to make a phonecall regarding my situation to your company.

Where i phone to and who i ask on the phone ?

Greetings Edwin.

I'm not sunbelt, but if you are in bangkok, you could call the number listed on their website. I think it's listed as (66)2642-0213. The receptionist can probably direct your call to the appropriate person or department, depending on your questions. Mr. Eikenberg

has been helpful in my dealings with them and their accounting office.

They have other offices in other parts of Thailand if you are not in bangkok. Also, they have responded well by email.

• 2 weeks later...
I,m trying to get in contact with Sunbelt but i think they are closed for songkran ??

Yes we have been closed for the Holiday. Will reopen in the morning. You can reach us at 02-642-0213. Looking forward to helping you.

Taking around 3-5 weeks to get registered for Amity.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

THe Plan:

A restaurant/bar 40/60 seats.

Restaurant from 09.00 until 22.00.

Bar open until legal openings hours.

Company 100% owned by us (alian).

BOI-promoted???

Thai Staff: 3x kichenstaff

3x servants

1x manager

1x lawyer

1x accuontant

We want to work aswell in this company

(and we want to be able to do anything in this company).

The land we can possibly lease?

Maybe sunbeltasiagroup can tell me if this is possible,

if so can we contact your company direct?

Gr. Edwin en Annemarie.

I recommend other threads on TV regarding the Foreign Business Act which is in process of being turned into a nightmare by the military installed government. Your chances of a 100% owned entity are virtually zero. Restaurants and bars are not eligible for BOI and applying for an alien business licence is not realistic unless it is a it is a business with quite a lot of capital and the potential to employ and train a lot of Thai staff. You would have to provide very detailed 5 year projections and prove that the investment will be beneficial to Thailand. I doubt they have ever given one to a bar or restaurant. The Thai authorities don't want foreign investment in small services businesses they feel Thais can do themselves. You are also prohibited from working in a low level capacity by the Alien Employment Act of 1979. Unless it is a big hotel, you will not get a work permit that allows to be a cook. You can only be a manager and the police love dragging off farangs they find working behind their own bars for a night in the cooler and a shake down.

Gr. Edwin en Annemarie.

I recommend other threads on TV regarding the Foreign Business Act which is in process of being turned into a nightmare by the military installed government. Your chances of a 100% owned entity are virtually zero. Restaurants and bars are not eligible for BOI and applying for an alien business licence is not realistic unless it is a it is a business with quite a lot of capital and the potential to employ and train a lot of Thai staff. You would have to provide very detailed 5 year projections and prove that the investment will be beneficial to Thailand. I doubt they have ever given one to a bar or restaurant. The Thai authorities don't want foreign investment in small services businesses they feel Thais can do themselves. You are also prohibited from working in a low level capacity by the Alien Employment Act of 1979. Unless it is a big hotel, you will not get a work permit that allows to be a cook. You can only be a manager and the police love dragging off farangs they find working behind their own bars for a night in the cooler and a shake down.

In fact they have issued Alien Business Licenses for restaurants but as far as I know the government has not issued any for restaurants serving Thai food but Italian, French, etc... The capital required from overseas was 3 million baht. If they were teaching the public to cook, they would need an additional 3 million baht from overseas.

We have found it was not difficult to get a cook a work permit unless of course they wanted to cook Thai food.

As for owning a bar by itself as a foreigner and an Alien Business License, forget about it. The only way would be under the Amity Treaty.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 1 month later...

Okay, were almost there....

We have talked with a lot of people here in Holland aswell as in Thailand and were finaly getting there.

Thank you all for your comments, we learn a lot this way.....

Greetings EdWinDows

• 1 month later...

Yess we are back from Koh Chang and in HHolland again.

We had a pleasant meeting with Sunbelt in Bankok and we looked at some buisiness-oppurtunities on Koh Chang.

Now we have to decide what oppurtunity is the best for us......

4 januari we go back and hopefully we have made up our mind witch choise we make.....

We have a lott of calculating to do now.... :o

Not every landpaper gives the same rights as far as for instance construction of buildings and selling the land are concerned. You also have to reseach the history of the landpaper, there have been instances of landpapers being given out illegally, which might spell trouble for buyers down the road. Not so nice if you shell out a lot of cash to buy this place, in order to discover later on that it has been constructed illegally on land that is officially inside a national park.

Be very careful about land on Kho Chang. Until recently there were NO chanot papers on the Island it is also inside a national park. Check and re check the land you are leasing IS legal or you could have a nasty shock. Also check the type of paper if listed, there are a few that forbid buildings, businesses or even leasing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey kees we could not make it to come to your place last time because we were very buissy on Koh Chang and BKK to make everything in order but now were okay.

When you look at MSN LIVE SEARCH and type in the words Sanook Sanang Resort you will find us but i will look at what you said and try to do so

Thanks all for your replies....

Edwin & Annemarie