Schengen Visa

I realise this is a bit premature, we have only just been granted a 6 month marriage visa but I have 2 questions:

The visa is valid from May 18th until 18th November, will we be able to get another visa straight after that, we will be married by then and I would really love it if the Mrs was in the UK for Christmas, it will still only be a visit visa, Mon would have only spent 2 months of the 6 months in the UK?

I have been reading about a Schengen visa, my parents own a place in Tenerife, can Mon apply for this visa now or at all in the coming year etc ?

Thanks

Jimmy

Jimmy

I thought you were visa'd out !

As you and your wife are based in Thailand and hopefully can prove that pretty conclusively. You will have married in the UK and returned by then also. Your wife will be able to apply for a visitors visa any time. I would suggest she applies after the marriage visa has expired.

If I remember correctly you work a 2 month on/off schedule and may return to UK in the time off. If you want your wife to meet you in UK she could do that on the 6 month visitors visa as it's multiple entry (provided those visits were within the 6 months) as long as she tells the embassy that is her intention. If you demonstrate your work schedule to the embassy as her sponsor and give evidence that she will return to Thailand you should have no problem.

You could even ask for a 1 year visitors visa if that would be easier for you or more economical in view of your travel and work plans. I have a feeling that you should be lucky with that as your intentions are genuine and can be proved.

As for the Schengen visa, she should apply for that visa at the Spanish embassy in Bangkok (for Tenerife). I wouldn't risk trying to get it in UK as the rules say she should apply in her country of residence and the Spanish embassy in UK works on an appointment system now. Schengen visas can be single or multi entry depending on evidence, You should produce the proof of having a place to stay in Tenerife. I don't know how far in advance you can apply but the good thing is that as she is the spouse of a UK national it will be free.

I realise I said I was visaed out but I thought as its all still fresh etc, no harm in trying to find out.

I have an e-mail address [email protected] taken from a website but not the Spanish Embassy website for Bankok, I have mailed these peeps but it comes back as un-delivered and so far I have been unable to obtain the Spanish website for Banokok, I have just mailed the Spanish Embassy in London for advice. I would like to apply here in Thailand for the visa.

If anyone knows anything then please let me know!!

Thanks

Jimmy

...I would really love it if the Mrs was in the UK for Christmas...been reading about a Schengen visa, my parents own a place in Tenerife...

Does a Schengen visa allow entry into the UK? I ask because my wife will have Thai relatives visit Holland with a Schengen visa and then bring them to London, and I thought they would need a separate visa for the UK.

--------------

Maestro

Does a Schengen visa allow entry into the UK? I ask because my wife will have Thai relatives visit Holland with a Schengen visa and then bring them to London, and I thought they would need a separate visa for the UK.

--------------

Maestro

A Schengen visa allows the holder to visit any of the countries that have signed up to the Schengen agreement and for the holder to travel freely between these countries. Unfortunately UK is not a signatory to the agreement so your friend will need to get a Uk Visa as well as a Schengen Visa to visit Holland. Edited by Mahout Angrit

UK not under the Schengen scheme. need separate one.

Swiss is also not under Schengen...but if its not your first port of call, your Schengen one will be accepted for entry into Swiss ( ie. you need to have visited a country in the Schengen list first. weird logic....but i guess that makes swiss half under schengen :o )

Thanks, Mahout Angrit, U22 and MiG16. I already knew about Switzerland, and now I and the OP also know that a Schengen visa is not an alternative to a visa for the UK. Didn’t think it was but was hoping things had perhaps changed, that the UK made arrangements with the Schengen area like Switzerland did.

--------------

Maestro

It's not just the UK, it's Ireland too. From Wikipedia

The United Kingdom and Ireland are the only two EU members not to fully implement the Schengen Agreement; Ireland and the UK share a Common Travel Area with no border controls between the two*. Ireland is thus unable to join the Schengen Agreement without dissolving this agreement with the UK. However the UK remains reluctant to surrender its own border controls and work permit system. Therefore United Kingdom and Ireland are signatories of the Council Decision (covering police co-operation) but not the Council Regulations (covering asylum, visas and border controls).
* Unfortunatley this does not mean Thais, for example, who hold a UK visa don't need an Irish one to enter Ireland, and vice versa. They do.

Switzerland has signed the full agreement, but is yet to fully implement it. See Switzerland joins Schengen ( BBC News article)

Edited by GU22

It's not just the UK, it's Ireland too. From Wikipedia
The United Kingdom and Ireland are the only two EU members not to fully implement the Schengen Agreement; Ireland and the UK share a Common Travel Area with no border controls between the two*. Ireland is thus unable to join the Schengen Agreement without dissolving this agreement with the UK. However the UK remains reluctant to surrender its own border controls and work permit system. Therefore United Kingdom and Ireland are signatories of the Council Decision (covering police co-operation) but not the Council Regulations (covering asylum, visas and border controls).
* Unfortunatley this does not mean Thais, for example, who hold a UK visa don't need an Irish one to enter Ireland, and vice versa. They do.

Switzerland has signed the full agreement, but is yet to fully implement it. See Switzerland joins Schengen ( BBC News article)

This is correct, GU22, my wife had to have a visa, even though she had ILR for Britain and I have Irish Nationality.

Good Luck

Moss

Ideally, it would be easier to apply for a Schengen visa after marriage. However, it may be difficult doing that while in the UK, as she will just be visiting the UK.

If you plan to visit Spain before returning to Thailand after marriage, then it may be better to apply for a Schengen visa before leaving Thailand. Moreover, you should ask them to make the visa valid for the period that you intend to visit. This may be also difficult for them to grant.

Edited by vinny

...I would really love it if the Mrs was in the UK for Christmas...been reading about a Schengen visa, my parents own a place in Tenerife...

--------------

Maestro

Parties to the Schengen Agreement:

a) The following countries fully implement the provisions of the Schengen acquis (so-called implementing countries):

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

:o The newly acceded EU member states (Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia) do not yet fully implement the Schengen acquis. These countries do not therefore, as yet, issue uniform Schengen visas. Nor do the Schengen visas issued by the implementing countries entitle holders to stay in/pass in transit through the new EU member states without a visa.

The newly acceded EU countries are not expected to fully implement the Schengen acquis until the end of 2007.

see http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/en/Wi...chengen.html#t4

BTW: Travel to Switzerland is permitted with a multiple entry Schengen Visa (to improve you are allowed to re-enter the EU)

Edited by Sturbuc

The plan was/is to apply for the visa asap, I still have all the UK visa application and its all still valid BUT I can't get hold of the Spanish Embassy in Bankok. My parents have a place in Tenerife and we can prove that so I thought that it shouldn't be a problem - if I can get to speak to someone!!

- if I can get to speak to someone!!

You can speak to them here:-

SPANISH EMBASSY IN BANGKOK

Seventh floor (701-702)

Diethelm Towers A,

93/1 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330.

P.O.B.: 449 Bangkok 10501

Tels: 252 6112, 252 8368 and 253 5132-34

Fax: 255 2388

As you have found out they dont seem to have a web site but if you want to check the requirements for a Schengen visa you can check one of the other Schengen states embassies in Bangkok as a guide as requirements are all much the same, after all it's the same visa. You should however finally apply at the Spanish embassy.

Hi there

I too am planning to take my Thai g/f to spain this year to visit my parents. Therefore she needs a tourist Visa. I have looked on the internet and found a few sites that say that she needs a credit card and a job (plus various other stuff incl flight schedule and insurance etc) to get a tourist Visa. they also say that she needs a notarized invitation letter from my parents.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), she doesn't have a cc or a job, but my parents and I will take care of everything and pay for everything.

Can anyone help as I cannot get hold of anyone at the Spanish embassy by phone and we live in the far North of Thailand so it's not easy to pop in and visit.

Any help or guidelines regarding getting a tourist visa for Spain will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance

Hi, I contacted the Spanish Embassy on 026618284, that number was given as The Schengen department of the embassy, there is a really nice English speaking lady there, I explained that we had just obtained a UK vv and wish to pop to Tenerife for a week, my parents have a condo there, we have had to obtain travel insurance for the Mrs for the time that we will be in Spain with a value of 30,000 Euros, 2 provisionally booked tickets that have to be brought should the visa be granted, a letter of invite from my parents for us both, copies of the deeds, have to show 6 months of her Thai bank, the lady didn't mention money limits etc or a credit card, I explained that we still have all of the UK application with employers letters etc and she said to put the lot in, she seemed very positive for our chances but who knows, im off back to work next week so Mon will be going alone, she has to go to the embassy to pick the forms up and submit the application, they wouldn't fax them to me and you can't get them on the net.

Will obviously let you know how we do.

Jimmy

Edited by BIGJIMMY

Hi there

I too am planning to take my Thai g/f to spain this year to visit my parents. Therefore she needs a tourist Visa. I have looked on the internet and found a few sites that say that she needs a credit card and a job (plus various other stuff incl flight schedule and insurance etc) to get a tourist Visa. they also say that she needs a notarized invitation letter from my parents.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), she doesn't have a cc or a job, but my parents and I will take care of everything and pay for everything.

Can anyone help as I cannot get hold of anyone at the Spanish embassy by phone and we live in the far North of Thailand so it's not easy to pop in and visit.

Any help or guidelines regarding getting a tourist visa for Spain will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance

http://www.delaus.ec.europa.eu/eu_guide/faqschengenvisas.htm

Gives you a guideline, regarding enough financial means, this is only necessary without a guarantor (or sponsor). I think the daily rate is about €100. Of course if you (or your parents) act as guarantor, there is no need for your G/F to show any proof of financial means.

Thanks for all your help. It seems like it may be possible to take her after all.

The only question I have is the invitation/sponsor letter. My Mum is an old lady now and It might be difficult explaining to her about such a letter. Also, what would be a standard format for such a letter..

Dear Son

I would like to invite/sponsor you and your girlfriend to stay with us for 4 weeks in May.

Lots of love

Mum

Can anyone point me in the right direction for wording such a document.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. It seems like it may be possible to take her after all.

The only question I have is the invitation/sponsor letter. My Mum is an old lady now and It might be difficult explaining to her about such a letter. Also, what would be a standard format for such a letter..

Dear Son

I would like to invite/sponsor you and your girlfriend to stay with us for 4 weeks in May.

Lots of love

Mum

Can anyone point me in the right direction for wording such a document.

Thanks

There are actually two letters (at least in the Netherlands) one is a letter where you explain your relationship with the one applying for the visa. The other one is the actual sponsor letter, this one needs to be legalized. In the Netherlands you can obtain this letter by going to the city administration. It's a standardized letter, which you have to sign, then it gets a stamp and a signature from someone at the city administration.

Yes - they do indeed need two letters.

One stating that they are inviting you over, that they will take care of you, pay for everything and their relationship to the sponsor.

The other is an official letter which in Spain is called an 'actar notarial'.

Thanks for you help

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely true...we(Thai citizens) can enter Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia and Latvia with a Schengen visa providing you only stay for 5 days for the purpose of transit and get in and out at different borders. This rule was implemented a while ago(the first few countries like Czech Republic started since Oct.).

a) The following countries fully implement the provisions of the Schengen acquis (so-called implementing countries):

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

:o The newly acceded EU member states (Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia) do not yet fully implement the Schengen acquis. These countries do not therefore, as yet, issue uniform Schengen visas. Nor do the Schengen visas issued by the implementing countries entitle holders to stay in/pass in transit through the new EU member states without a visa.

The newly acceded EU countries are not expected to fully implement the Schengen acquis until the end of 2007.

BTW: Travel to Switzerland is permitted with a multiple entry Schengen Visa (to improve you are allowed to re-enter the EU)

Not sure which post your post below is refering to but it contradicts itself where it is highlighted in bold. Have you actually done it?

Not entirely true...we(Thai citizens) can enter Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia and Latvia with a Schengen visa providing you only stay for 5 days for the purpose of transit and get in and out at different borders. This rule was implemented a while ago(the first few countries like Czech Republic started since Oct.).

Edited by Mahout Angrit