Returning to London, Britain's May faces mammoth task to change minds on Brexit

rooster59

Returning to London, Britain's May faces mammoth task to change minds on Brexit

By Alastair Macdonald and Elizabeth Piper

800x800 (4).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May arrives to give a news briefing after meeting with EU leaders in Brussels, Belgium March 22, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday began the mammoth struggle of persuading a deeply divided parliament to back her Brexit deal after an EU summit granted her more time but little to help change minds at home.

After a bruising day in Brussels, May secured a two-week reprieve to try to get the deal she negotiated in November through parliament at a third attempt or face a potentially chaotic departure from the European Union as soon as April 12.

EU leaders were clear that it was now up to the British parliament to decide the fate of Brexit -- to leave with a deal in a couple of months, depart without an agreement, come up with a new plan or possibly remain in the bloc.

While the Brexit deadline may have moved from March 29, however, parliament shows no sign of budging.

In fact, incensed by comments from May on Wednesday night that pinned the blame for the Brexit chaos on them, many British lawmakers have now hardened their resistance to the deal she is due to bring back before them next week.

In an appeal to lawmakers, May said in Brussels: "Last night I expressed my frustration. I know that MPs (members of parliament) are frustrated too. They have difficult jobs to do. I hope we can all agree, we are now at the moment of decision."

She needs to change the minds of 75 more lawmakers to get her deal through after it was overwhelmingly rejected twice before. In a letter to British lawmakers on Friday, May hinted she to might not hold a third vote on the deal at all if it was clear it would not be passed.

"If it appears there is not sufficient support to bring the deal back next week, or the House rejects it again, we can ask for another extension before April 12," she wrote in the letter published on Twitter by a BBC reporter.

While EU leaders were keen to heap pressure on the British parliament, some -- with the notable exception of France --suggested Britain could still win more time to prepare for a no-deal Brexit if lawmakers fail to approve the divorce deal by April 12.

"HOPE DIES LAST"

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar summed up the mood in Brussels when he spoke of overwhelming Brexit fatigue.

European Council President Donald Tusk said: "The fate of Brexit is in the hands of our British friends. We are, as the EU, prepared for the worst but hope for the best. As you know, hope dies last."

French President Emmanuel Macron took a potshot at Brexit advocates. "Brexiteer leaders told people leaving would be easy. Bravo."

Leaders doubted whether May could get her deal through parliament, which like the country itself is deeply split over how, or even if, Britain should leave the EU after a 2016 referendum when 52 percent backed Brexit against 48 percent.

One senior EU official said a no-deal Brexit was more likely. "We are in general well prepared. But we can use these few weeks to prepare more for the rather likely no deal scenario," the official said on condition of anonymity.

NEW VOTES

Parliament will start next week with another vote on Brexit, which business minister Greg Clark said would open the way "for parliament to express a majority of what it would approve".

Those May must win over -- eurosceptic lawmakers in her Conservative Party and the DUP, the Northern Irish party that props up her minority government, plus wavering members of the opposition Labour Party -- did not seem to be softening.

The DUP's Nigel Dodds said May had missed an opportunity to put forward proposals to EU leaders to improve the prospects of an acceptable deal, describing it as a "disappointing and inexcusable" failure.

Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said it was time for parliament to take over Brexit and for lawmakers to make their own decisions about Britain's future.

His deputy Tom Watson said he was prepared to back May's deal, however -- but only if she agreed to holding a second referendum, something she has repeatedly ruled out.

With parliament deadlocked, the lack of certainty is encouraging some Britons to try to influence politicians.

Hundreds of thousands are expected to march through central London on Saturday calling for a second Brexit referendum, while an online petition demanding May revoke the EU leave notice and stop Brexit has got more than 3.5 million signatures.

Seven hours of summit brainstorming on Thursday kept a host of options open for the EU leaders, who say they regret Britain's decision to leave but are eager to move on from what they increasingly see as a distraction.

Now a May 22 departure date will apply if parliament rallies behind the British prime minister next week. If it does not, Britain will have until April 12 to offer a new plan or decide to leave the European Union without a treaty.

In the case of a longer extension, the main idea is for one year, EU officials said. That would give Britain time to hold an election, and possibly a second referendum, and avoid an even longer delay that would complicate negotiations for a new long-term EU budget.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-23

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said it before and I will say it again;

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch.

I don't know what else to say; leaving an organization that the UK has been a member of for over 40 years without a transition agreement in place is pure madness. Even in a best case scenario, there will be widespread dislocations, people and families will get hurt, economies will be disrupted, and the smoothness required for proper societal functioning will be harmed. In a best case scenario! 

I think the UK leaving the EU is a mistake, but that is simply one person's opinion; perhaps it is best for the UK to go. That said, leaving abruptly without a transition plan will certainly cause damage unnecessarily; the truly sad thing is that Johnson, Gove, Farage et al will not be the ones who get hurt, it'll be the proverbial 'little guy' (and UK pensioners in Thailand).

This is the worst executed public policy decision that I will ever see in my lifetime.

It is sad to see that a so called first world country with such a long history of democracy is ruled by such incompetent people into the current mess.

May should hold a speech that she will dissolve the tory party and resign. And then she and the others should try to find proper jobs outside of politics. I know that will be difficult for many of them but they should try.

They failed utterly and it's time to end incompetent leadership like this.

And yes, the opposition is not much better but at least they didn't start the current mess.

24 minutes ago, SweetStickyRice said:

The UK should stop beating around the bush, close it's doors, sort out the paperwork later. I hope this is the start to the end of the EU. Get on with it UK, the sooner, the better.

And then there are of course those people who have apparently no idea what they are talking about.

I read an article recently that 1 of 8 Brits think leaving without a deal means everything will stay exactly like it is...

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is the worst executed public policy decision that I will ever see in my lifetime.

It is indeed the worst executed public policy decision I too have ever seen.

Whatever one may think about the decision to leave the EU (and you and I differ) it was arrived at by as simple a democratic process as can be imagined, That decision was emphatically confirmed by a general election. Since then those charged with executing that public policy decision have tried continuously to thwart it, and have made no real effort to implement it. The result, this "cluster <deleted>".

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Whatever one may think about the decision to leave the EU (and you and I differ) it was arrived at by as simple a democratic process as can be imagined, That decision was emphatically confirmed by a general election. Since then those charged with executing that public policy decision have tried continuously to thwart it, and have made no real effort to implement it. The result, this "cluster <deleted>".

Sure, the UK could leave the EU. But could they leave the EU under the conditions which the politicians promised the people? The promises before the referendum were totally unrealistic and the people voted based on wrong information and impossible promises.

It was like: Do you want to leave and keep all the good conditions and have additionally more money and better options around the world. People said yes to that fantasy. But it's just that, a fantasy. It can't be implemented, even by the brightest and best deal makers.

Now people who care should be more informed about reality. Let them confirm if they still want to leave, this time based on more realistic predictions. Is anybody scared the voters could make a better decision based on better information?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, the UK could leave the EU. But could they leave the EU under the conditions which the politicians promised the people? The promises before the referendum were totally unrealistic and the people voted based on wrong information and impossible promises.

It was like: Do you want to leave and keep all the good conditions and have additionally more money and better options around the world. People said yes to that fantasy. But it's just that, a fantasy. It can't be implemented, even by the brightest and best deal makers.

Now people who care should be more informed about reality. Let them confirm if they still want to leave, this time based on more realistic predictions. Is anybody scared the voters could make a better decision based on better information?

There is already the discussion of whether there should or should not be another referendum in about three other threads 

3 hours ago, JAG said:

There was no decision! The referendum was advisory only. Look it up! And had it been decisive it wouldn't have been, as it would have been annulled because of all the cheating and fraud. T May's 2nd big mistake (after agreeing to be PM) was to pretend that the referendum was decisive when it wasn't. Another big mistake was to carry on treating the referendum seriously when the frauds became apparent. But what really matters is whether we are better off in the EU than out. I have yet to see a credible argument for better off out.

I think any reasonable person should be ready to accept that the best deal for the UK is to remain in the EU, as any other alternative, including May's deal and no deal is worse. Also any reasonable person should accept that leaving the UK with a no deal would NOT be beneficial to the UK population. 

By all means challenge my post, but if you should do so, please state why you consider leaving the EU - the referendum question - plus Theresa May's add-ons which was not a referendum question by leaving the single market and the customs union is a 'good thing' for the UK. 

I, for one, opposing a no deal have relatives in the UK, and I sure don't want them to suffer from a bankrupted economy leading to job losses, a lack of essential goods in supermarkets and on the high street, further decline of the NHS services through lack of nurses and doctors who are not allowed in by immigration, and higher import prices on goods brought about by the pound devaluing.

As for striking new deals, by virtue of belonging to a massive market on our doorstep and by virtue of being in the EU, deals with over 40 more countries outside the EU bloc, strikes me as insane to throw it all away.

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Taking dancing lessons? 

No - practising falling on Her Majesty's sword. If she gets that right, and it would be the first time she has achieved anything, maybe parliament could bring about some sanity by requesting an extension of article 50 until after a GE.

11 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I, for one, opposing a no deal have relatives in the UK, and I sure don't want them to suffer from a bankrupted economy leading to job losses, a lack of essential goods in supermarkets and on the high street, further decline of the NHS services through lack of nurses and doctors who are not allowed in by immigration, and higher import prices on goods brought about by the pound devaluing.

As for striking new deals, by virtue of belonging to a massive market on our doorstep and by virtue of being in the EU, deals with over 40 more countries outside the EU bloc, strikes me as insane to throw it all away.

We would still be able to trade with the E.U , though it would be under the WTO rules and not a free trade agreement .

In a letter she wrote to MP's she said there were 4 options open:

1. We can revoke Article 50 - but that would be to betray the result of the referendum.

2. We can leave with no deal on 12 April - but the House has previously said this is not something it will support.

3. If it appears that there is not sufficient support to bring the deal back next week, or the House rejects it again, we can ask for another extension before 12 April - but that will involve holding European Parliament elections.

4. If it appears that there is sufficient support and the Speaker permits it, we can bring the deal back next week and if it is approved we can leave on 22 May.

The letter in full: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47675252

9 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

ART 50 will be revoked

Wecandoit and the EU can not stop us, I agree that it is the most likely outcome.

OR May could go back to the EU27 and ask for a longer extension to hold a general election or a referendum, Tusk has already said the door is open to discus a longer extension but I suspect that would be for a minimum of one year if it runs past April 12.

18 minutes ago, Basil B said:

In a letter she wrote to MP's she said there were 4 options open:

The letter in full: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47675252

I’m telling you she will let the UK crash out. They Maybot has completely turned lose cannon on auto-pilot I’m afraid, after alienating everyone and finding herself in a corner. 

50 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

How many European nurses work in the NHS and has the UK Gov got any plans what do do about them after Brexit ?

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m telling you she will let the UK crash out. They Maybot has completely turned lose cannon on auto-pilot I’m afraid, after alienating everyone and finding herself in a corner. 

I think there will be a mutiny be for she crashes SS Not So Great Britain into that Iceberg.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How many European nurses work in the NHS and has the UK Gov got any plans what do do about them after Brexit ?

Their will be many Brit forcibly repatriated from the EU, could retrain them...????

I voted to leave. To regain autonomy of law making in order to benefit the people and industry of the UK.  To distance the UK from the unelected, probably unelectable, despotic cabal that rules in Brussels, and currently rules in the UK. To be able to reverse the drain on the taxpayer of unwanted gimmigrants leeching off the benefits system. The UK trades successfully under WTO rules with many countries outside of the EU, why could a free trade agreement, under WTO rules have not been negotiated with the EU? The Tory party are finished, dead. The Liebour party too, the Social Dumbocrats were a non-entity to start with. The current political parties have shown that they do not respect the democratic process of the UK and that many members of parliament are just parasitic useless cockroaches, there for their own personal benefit.There are legal challenges against this extension of the withdrawal act in progress, and if they succeed then any action taken by the government after 23.00 29/3 will be illegal and therefore not binding. The threat of revoking article 50 will require a repeal of the withdrawal act, not possible before 29/3, even if it is overridden by the EU, it will still  against current British law. The government will fall, hopefully the British public will elect politicians that will obey their instructions and unilaterally leave the EU. I won't hold my breath.

Archived