What has Thailand given back to all pensioners who have moved here.

nasa123

30 minutes ago, jinjo said:

I could not agree more, possibly like you I am a Ugly American who had to work for everything I received, and have never look for a hand out.  But I have put my hand out to help many, because I could, and I wanted too.  So, I ask what's wrong with us Ugly Americans?

No volume control.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Halfaboy said:

Visa: 1 time per year renewal and every 90 days the '90 day reporting'. All in all something like two hours per year. After arrival here (many years ago) I have put 800.000 Baht in the bank voor visa renewal. In those days around 17.000 Euro's and thanks to the exchange rate that's now around 22.000 Euro's.

What did I get back: lots of good weather, food, lots of nice people I am near many very interesting countries to visit.

I find that I am having a good life....

Well said echo everything you point out. What the hell do people want? paying to come here?

My answer 20+ years ago would've been vastly different in a good way. Even 10-15 years ago would have been all good. Nowadays it's a different place. Well actually it's the same silly place...just overpriced now and used to not take itself so seriously. 

Yim yai...sabai sabai and mai pen rai. Nothing like that anymore. 

Answer: the best of times, but mostly from a decade+ ago. Nowadays...not so much. 

Sorry, not quite a pensioner and am only a snowbird, but what I have been given is:

An insight into, and enormous respect for, the stoicism, strength, perseverance, good nature and optimism of those who were not born into the rich, safe, comfortable, free, well educated, opportunity giving society that I was.

That everybody I know or had ever previously met (even the poorest) was.

I'd seen the documentaries and the photo journalism and only had knowledge of the lives of those born into that other world.

I knew but did not feel.

8 hours ago, DjSilver said:

No stress? It is only stress in Thailand to have to do with uneducated people that are so stupid they can't take any responsibility and also are so stupid they can't think for themself. Not all Thai people but surely the majority is like this. And also Thai education no matter it is international schools or public and even the universities does not promote free thinking.

Precisely! Nothing about the intellect has changed over all the years...still uneducated with no common sense, BUT they used to accept it and smile and laugh at themselves. Now the place wrongly acts as if they are the enlightened ones...when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Taking themselves and everything else way too seriously. No smiles...only snarls and frowns and HIGH expectations. :1zgarz5:

On 3/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What has Thailand given back to all pensioners who have moved here?

Thailand and the Thai people gave those pensioners and all the other people who arrived here the opportunity to visit their beautiful country. Most Thai people were and are friendly to them. Some of those pensioners think Thailand is heaven compared to wherever they came from.

I wish all those pensioners who are unhappy in Thailand should go to wherever they came from. And then ask at home the same question. Enjoy!

It is a bit weird to call Thailand beautiful. 

Don't you have eyes? 

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Precisely! Nothing about the intellect has changed over all the years...still uneducated with no common sense, BUT they used to accept it and smile and laugh at themselves. Now the place wrongly acts as if they are the enlightened ones...when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Taking themselves and everything else way too seriously. No smiles...only snarls and frowns and HIGH expectations. :1zgarz5:

Maybe.

But it's their country so your opinion isn't worth the oxygen it wasted. Plus the uneducated are taking you to the cleaners on the exchange rate so who is the dimmest?

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Maybe.

But it's their country so your opinion isn't worth the oxygen it wasted. Plus the uneducated are taking you to the cleaners on the exchange rate so who is the dimmest?

You? :coffee1:

13 hours ago, madmen said:

You need to get out more. And in know way did I say all farang but the majority who are pensioners and surprise surprise I have not yet befriended them all LMAO!

You have no idea how much I get out.  And, in no way vs. "know way," did I say you said "all farang"

I disagree with you that the majority of pensioners are trying to live like Thai. I see few who live in cheap rooms existing on street food, drinking loa cao and smoking roll-your-own green cat. 

I have been a pensioner in Thailand for years; I know many other pensioners in Thailand. Some are barely squeaking by--and it may be fair to say they are trying to live like Thais.

However, I know many more enjoying an occasional Western delicacy and Tetleys--albeit asking for more hot water cream and sugar to re-use their teabag for free--drinking beer, smoking pseudo-Western filter cigarettes and paying for a live-in woman. 

I even know many pensioners who are living the high-life; living in quite nice homes, driving expensive vehicles, eating steaks and enjoying good wines.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

im not 75 yet, but the amazing thing is....if im still capable at 75....in thailand, the sex will be with a beautiful 25-35yr old, not a 70yr old...with saggy boobs..    the excitement here, is almost too much...

im making the most of it..

On 3/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, madmen said:

OP is deluded. Lets face it majority are pensioners trying to scratch out a living and trying to live like a thai in cheap rooms and dining on street food.

It's actually cheaper to cook yourself, street food is expensive by comparison.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I even know many pensioners who are living the high-life; living in quite nice homes, driving expensive vehicles, eating steaks and enjoying good wines.

I have pork steaks 3-4 times a week @ 40bht/steak, usually with fried mushrooms and baked potato in onion gravy.

Not expensive.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have pork steaks 3-4 times a week @ 40bht/steak, usually with fried mushrooms and baked potato in onion gravy.

Not expensive.

Not sure I get your point; because you quoted my comment about pensioners living the high-life. Are you saying you're living the high-life on B40 pork steaks or trying to live like a Thai eating pork steak, baked potatoes, mushrooms and onion gravy?

However, it appears you misunderstood me. I was not talking about those B40 pork slices. I meant good beef; the last I got was about B1500/kilo. And, any decent wine costs; I am not talking about that boxed or fruit juice-ladened stuff. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:39 PM, moe666 said:

I never knew Thailand was suppose to give me any thing, you live your life to the fullest or you live like a beaten down dog it is all up to you, not Thailand nor the country you came from

i agree, but the problem is, as a foreigner, you are treated like a dog here.   ????

On 3/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, Sydebolle said:

It's a give-and-take. You like it = stay, you do not like it (for whatever reason) = move on. 

Simple as that, as a pensioner ..........

That used to be the case.

Now, immigration have a bigger say, through financial requirements, who they want to stay, and who they want to leave. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, murraynz said:

im not 75 yet, but the amazing thing is....if im still capable at 75....in thailand, the sex will be with a beautiful 25-35yr old, not a 70yr old...with saggy boobs..    the excitement here, is almost too much...

im making the most of it..

Better not have a saggy wallet either! :vampire:

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

That used to be the case.

Now, immigration have a bigger say, through financial requirements, who they want to stay, and who they want to leave. 

I am not sure I understand your complaint. Are you saying a sovereign state has no right to try to keep financially-challenged individuals out of their country?

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I am not sure I understand your complaint. Are you saying a sovereign state has no right to try to keep financially-challenged individuals out of their country?

Financially challenged, you mean white guys with guaranteed pensions of more than 2x-10x the locals wages.

And who all get more than the immigration officers 'official' wage.

31 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most expats seem to be dissatisfied and lots are packing up.

Thats a relative statement, most/lots posting on Thaivisa, most/lots amongst friends and neighbours ?

Its easy to get that impression from the vocal minority posting on Thaivisa.

Happy and staying threads dont get any traction.

Archived