What has Thailand given back to all pensioners who have moved here.

nasa123

Should probably start with what they are required to give back, or at least what they are expected to give back. 

Nothing would be the obvious answer to that. 

I actually believe if you turn this question around, and ask what has the avergae cheap charlie expat (like myself), living in Thailand on ten bucks per day, given back. Then you would have a very interesting, valid and potentially enlightening question. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

No stress? It is only stress in Thailand to have to do with uneducated people that are so stupid they can't take any responsibility and also are so stupid they can't think for themself. Not all Thai people but surely the majority is like this. And also Thai education no matter it is international schools or public and even the universities does not promote free thinking.

I agree education in Thailand is poor; however, if Thais could think for themselves maybe farangs would be worse off.

The only person that can stress you is yourself.

Nothing but problems. I have lived here over ten years, caused no problems. Now have to worry about getting a new visa this year. I will not have that 25,000 USD in a bank. 

Now I am very sick and just want to die in peace. I just do not get it, I have my military pension plus social security. I am OK now leave me alone please. 

Basically I got blissfully happy here in Thailand. It was partly not having to work, but also enjoying life here. Moving country is energising. I have lived and worked in several countries during my career, and visas are an issue everywhere. Thailand in my experience is the only country that has the stupid and time wasting 90 day reporting. Visa extensions here have been very easy, but then I have the 800K in the bank properly seasoned. Also Thailand is prosperous and you can see improvements in infrastructure all the time.....life gets a bit better every year.

There are irritations here. The bureaucracy in Thailand is definitely third world with its lack of computers, bits of paper, files that no one opens, and silly pointless reporting. I have not seen anywhere worse than here since Gambia. Corruption is an irritant as well, being stopped for 'tea money' drives me crazy, but it has happened less often since the coup. We do have a land deal going through where the top man at the land office wants a large payoff for 'kanom' to sign the documents. He is holding us to ransom because I won't pay up. 

A deal breaker for me will be medical insurance...if it is required and not made available cheaply I will leave. I know most people on TV disagree but I have the resources to self insure and if I get a medical bill for 5 million baht, I can pay it and it won't affect my ability to live. I don't wish to throw away money on medical insurance which only benefits the insurers. If I was poor I might feel differently.

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

Thailand should be giving their foreigners that live in Thailand (expats) more benefits then there own nationals. Thailand should either lower taxes with 50% for foreigners working in Thailand and increase taxes 50% for Thai nationals or have it at the same level.

I hope the new government (if there will be one) will make new discrimination laws that makes it illegal to discriminate both due to nationality, race, gender and age. But that might be the day hell freezes since the school system in Thailand doesn't promote thinking outside the box to fix the problems with Thailand. The problems are more than the benefits to live in Thailand and there fore we are leaving Thailand my wife and daughter for a better life in the EU.

Bye 

On 3/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Halfaboy said:

Visa: 1 time per year renewal and every 90 days the '90 day reporting'. All in all something like two hours per year. After arrival here (many years ago) I have put 800.000 Baht in the bank voor visa renewal. In those days around 17.000 Euro's and thanks to the exchange rate that's now around 22.000 Euro's.

What did I get back: lots of good weather, food, lots of nice people I am near many very interesting countries to visit.

I find that I am having a good life....

Your money depends on how your own country is going about its business. Thai Baht is high because 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, AlexRich said:

For many it has simply taken. Best try to organise your life to get all the benefits with few of the costs ... stay in Thailand for a few months and stay in other countries in between ... avoid all the hassles and embrace the variety.

Correct.I move out every 90 days that is how I want it to be.

I have 20000Baht in a Thai Bank and that's all you need to come into the Kingdom of Thailand all other money is kept in the currency of my country in a foreign currency account. Uk

1 hour ago, Caine said:

Best food, excellent beer, don’t make me laugh. The food has no nutrition and the beer is crap.

And rice has no nutritional value of any vitamins in it. Water from the UV machines the same. If in Bkk drink the water from the tap, I will guarantee it 100% . WHO gives it a 100% certificate. I've been drinking similar water for 80 years . Don't have any problems with my bones.

No problem just B800K in a Time Deposit with a Thai Bank. I fill in the 90 day report form with a return stamped addressed envelope and it takes me a few minutes in the post office which is in the shopping mall is 5 mins walk from my house.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, madmen said:

OP is deluded. Lets face it majority are pensioners trying to scratch out a living and trying to live like a thai in cheap rooms and dining on street food.

Thailand gave you the above plus 50 baht happy hour beers and cheap happy endings

Be happy with that or go home and be stung by the real world. Up to you ! 

How sad. You believe the majority of expats here are pensioners trying to live like Thais living in cheap rooms and existing on street food. I have to admit, I do know some who are just existing in Thailand, but most of the people I know have decent incomes and live better than the average Thai. Maybe you should try to meet a better class of friends.

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

How sad. You believe the majority of expats here are pensioners trying to live like Thais living in cheap rooms and existing on street food. I have to admit, I do know some who are just existing in Thailand, but most of the people I know have decent incomes and live better than the average Thai. Maybe you should try to meet a better class of friends.

You need to get out more. And in know way did I say all farang but the majority who are pensioners and surprise surprise I have not yet befriended them all LMAO!

On 3/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, Nyezhov said:

Dude its a leisurely 15 minute walk with plenty of opportunity to score and great street visuals

As long as you don't try to walk on the odd number Soi side. The pavements are disgusting.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

As long as you don't try to walk on the odd number Soi side. The pavements are disgusting.

actually they are redoing the sidewalks and the walk has become quite nice. Some of the things that walk on the pavements are disgusting though...I mean look guys, if you are going to be a ladyboy, shave and wear a wig at least. But maybe some Euros like them that way.

I frequently walk from Nana BTS to Chit Lom. That is a wonderful relaxing walk at 1am.

5 hours ago, Gimino said:

Your question is as bad as your spelling. The country owes us nothing and, for you, the door

swings both ways. The Thais did not ask us to come here. We asked to be here. Most of us

enjoy our lives here. We contribute to the community, obey the law and are otherwise a small

positive. One is compelled to ask what is it you expect Thailand to do for you? Remember, you

are a guest here. A guest that was not even invited.

We are guests here????? Would you treat someone in your home the way Thailand treats us? Expats and tourists alike?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

We are guests here????? Would you treat someone in your home the way Thailand treats us? Expats and tourists alike?

Many posters on these forums do which that their home Countries would treat foreigners they way Thailand treats foreigners

On 3/23/2019 at 2:06 AM, Skallywag said:

What do thai's need to "give back"?  The Thai are a people and we are the temporary visitors in their Kingdom.  The people, the food, and overall cost of living are all positives in my opinion

I lived in the USA for 60 years and do not believe I got back anything that I did not work for, pay taxes for, or pay insurance for.   Even visiting "National Parks" and "public beaches" costs money in the USA

Cannot find data on the economic input of European and american full time residents, but likely fairly small (not including tourists)  maybe 6%:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand   

I could not agree more, possibly like you I am a Ugly American who had to work for everything I received, and have never look for a hand out.  But I have put my hand out to help many, because I could, and I wanted too.  So, I ask what's wrong with us Ugly Americans?

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

actually they are redoing the sidewalks and the walk has become quite nice. Some of the things that walk on the pavements are disgusting though...I mean look guys, if you are going to be a ladyboy, shave and wear a wig at least. But maybe some Euros like them that way.

I frequently walk from Nana BTS to Chit Lom. That is a wonderful relaxing walk at 1am.

I bet you walk on the even numbered Soi side.

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I bet you walk on the even numbered Soi side.

Well, since you asked.

I usually cab it to Nana and get dropped off on the odd numbered side near Soi 11. My route is Thermae first, which allows me to do a Ladyboy recon in front of the Hotels for the nights prize of the ugliest. Last nights winner did nothing more than put on an unattractive dress.

After leaving Thermae (assuming my mission has yet to be accomplished), I head down to Soi 7/1 to check out the gobble joints like Wood and Magic Table and soak in the atmosphere of lower Suk. 

I continue down to Soi 4. Sometimes I go down Arab alley to remind myself of why we fight, take that down to the Grace, marvel at the expanses of flesh on display, loop back down Soi 4 (horrible sidewalks there) and revel in the filth, lewdness and drunkeness around Nana Plaza. Up to Soi 6 alley, turn left past the big pneumatic Ladyboys and head to Kasalong and Roritas. Then its cross the street, maybe check out Thermae again, then head up to Mixx, usually on the odd side, but sometimes I recross the street at Soi Nana and go to the even side, espcially if I have to hit the ATMs. 

Once at Mixx, I am usually sucessful. Then (this is important guys) to get out of there, I walk past the touts at the entrance, avoid the taxi line (unless I am with a young lady, then I am stuck for an extra 50B), cross the street, walk over to the Hyatt and catch a cab in front of there.

Here is another tip guys. Small plastic bag in your pocket. That way you appear gallant when you lay it on the ground behind the dumpster so your date doesnt get her knees dirty.

That route allows me to eat too if I am hungry. You have Margarita storm, Bamboo, and street food on the odd side of Suk right before the tracks.

I think Ill go out tonight!

Archived