What Happens If A Farang Wins The Jackpot In The Thai Lottery?

garro

I was just wondering about this as I often do the Thai lottery. Is a farang allowed to keep the money? Can the money be taken out of the country?

BTW, I haven't won but plan to next week.

A farang arrives home one day to find his Thai wife really excited.

She tells him; "pack your bags, I've just won the lottery"

"where are we going?" he asks

"Should I pack clothes for hot weather or cold"

"both' she says "now p**s off"

Best of luck garro. I am not sure about the official Lottery, but Issan people love playing the local 'Lucky Numbers.' Not sure how often it is drawn - but my partner won 3000 baht last time I was in Thailand. Mind you - it's a small village of about 200 people and he spent 1200 baht - so I guess he probably bought most of the tickets.

My bush lawyer suggests that if a ticket seller SOLD you the ticket and YOU won, the winnings would be YOURS.

Peter

I was just wondering about this as I often do the Thai lottery. Is a farang allowed to keep the money? Can the money be taken out of the country?

If you as a farang win Prepare to be Photographed for advertising,

(Whether you agree or not)

& remember all those friends who suddenly appeared?

Good Luck

Sell the ticket to a politician involved in corruption! Shouldn't be too hard to locate.

They will pay more than the winnings for the ticket..

Its an easy way for them to clear up their ill gotten gains.

Cheers

There is no resrtiction on who can play the lottery - you are as entitled to as any anyone else is.

No - the winnings are not taxed, but bank it and the interest earned will be taxed as "capital gains" - and at the same rate (which off-hand I do not know what the rate is).

MF

Fortunately the odds are X-XX million to one, so you probably won't have to worry about it. Your odds of getting killed by one of those non airconditioned bus "brake failures" here are much better... in fact you could probably be killed several times in several lives here before you win the lottery.

:o

Not possible, winning lottery tickets are not sold to farangs and ordinary working class Thais. :o

Oh really? Around a year ago a very poor Thai won a large sum (if memory is correct the largest payout in the history of the lottery). He was featured on the news, newspapers, etc. He lived in a shack about the size of my bathroom.

Not possible, winning lottery tickets are not sold to farangs and ordinary working class Thais. :o

Oh really? Around a year ago a very poor Thai won a large sum (if memory is correct the largest payout in the history of the lottery). He was featured on the news, newspapers, etc. He lived in a shack about the size of my bathroom.

And if I recall correctly, the win was disputed by the Lottery Corporation due to the fact the ticket seller never turned in his unsold tickets until after the winning numbers had been drawn.

Just a strange coincidence of course. Never did hear of the final outcome of that story. I think the jackpot was 19 million baht, so the dirt-poor guy would have had to buy all of the tickets available with that particular number (I think there are 10 sets of two tickets for each number combination, so at least 800 baht plus commission for the seller). Most of the Thais I know rarely buy two of the same tickets, let alone the whole batch.

I won 2,000 baht once. Had the landlady cash it in. Forget what the tax was on it, but wasn't much.

Here is the link to the Government Lottery website (Thai language only it appears): The Government Lottery Office

Maybe someone that can read Thai can find out some definite information ?

Not much confidence in the Lottery ever since the "fixing" scam was exposed, with the clever "marked balls" *snigger* method. There is a real creativity and "out of the box" brilliance in regards to cheating and subversion here. Whereas in other everyday aspects of life, Thais seem to show that even a supermarket trolley has more of a mind of its own. :o

Best of luck garro. I am not sure about the official Lottery, but Issan people love playing the local 'Lucky Numbers.' Not sure how often it is drawn - but my partner won 3000 baht last time I was in Thailand. Mind you - it's a small village of about 200 people and he spent 1200 baht - so I guess he probably bought most of the tickets.

My bush lawyer suggests that if a ticket seller SOLD you the ticket and YOU won, the winnings would be YOURS.

Peter

My missus spent 800 bht hahahahaha won nothing