Sudden lose of International TV Programming

Puchaiyank

Has anyone, other than myself, been watching international news like BBC and have programming abruptly come to a stop for minutes at a time...before resuming?

Have not experienced this phenomenon before today.  What on earth is going on?

This has been happening for the past month or so, as well as for earlier events. It also affects CNN and probably more of the International news channels. You should note that the news channels have an inbuilt 1 or 2 minute signal delay. This allows for a blanking out when news items are broadcast that are considered unwelcome by the 'authorities'. For a couple of days recently there was no block but it has re-appeared in the last day or so, but only intermittently.

Nothing new in this part of the world. Malaysia has a similar delay system for all international channels on Astro. To the extent that, when I was based there in the 90's I was watching the 1999 CL final between Man United and BMunich. A couple of minutes from the end, with BM leading 1-0, I switched on the BBC world service radio for after match comments and was surprised to hear that United had won 2-1. I then saw the 2 goals on the TV channel, supposedly from a 'live' broadcast!! The delay was still apparent on my last trip there a couple of years back.

23 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

abruptly come to a stop for minutes at a time...before resuming?

Yes I have it happen all the time, buffering for various lengths of time if I'm watching an "internet" provided TV stream (IPTV) coming from overseas.

a few things can happen

1 their server is overloaded

2 the international gateway into out of Thailand is overloaded

3 your local network segment is overloded

4 you local equipment  router or TV box is overloaded

If you are referring to a Satellite TV provider like "True"  then yes they have a delay at the uplink studio and content is "monitored" and "filtered"   they also  blur out cigarettes,bottles of booze,wobbly bits, guns and knives but only if held threateningly..... its perfectly fine though to show  "servants"  being beaten senseless by their masters !!!!!!

Not sure what your media delivery system is, but there has been a chyron on TrueVisions (cable/coax) for a week or so regarding extreme solar activity affecting satellite transmission systems for the next month-ish or so. Experienced multiple drop-outs (black screen for ~ 2 seconds) last night.

If it's a few seconds here and there with no discernable pattern, it's probably technology.

If it's a minute or two at a time, and comes just as the newscast happens to say, as now for our SE Asia or Thailand report, you can pretty well figure it's something else!

Of course, also, if it only happens on international news channels and not on your variety/nature/comedy/drama channels, then you likewise will know the answer.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If it's a few seconds here and there with no discernable pattern, it's probably technology.

If it's a minute or two at a time, and comes just as the newscast happens to say, as now for our SE Asia or Thailand report, you can pretty well figure it's something else!

Of course, also, if it only happens on international news channels and not on your variety/nature/comedy/drama channels, then you likewise will know the answer.

You nailed it...international news from Asia.

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

interesting to me you know this term Chyron. do you work in television? 

Chyrons were in the news in USA lately.  There was a story about how POTUS was upset that certain chyrons were scrolling when his image or interview was being shown.  Unbaweeevabbuulll!

Otherwise I had no clue what those things were called.

6 hours ago, johng said:

they also  blur out cigarettes,bottles of booze,wobbly bits, guns and knives but only if held threateningly

Hellboy brandishing the "Good Samaritan" while smoking a Monte Christo, entire screen blurred.

I love it when TrueVisions pops up the censorship screen when a Bud Light (dilly dilly) commercial comes on (NFLN). 

Archived