Why Does Thailand Have Crap Food

kerryk

I wish you Pattaya folks would quit posting good general threads in the Pattaya forum. I wonder how many good topics get missed by the rest of TV?

Getting sick is not the end of the world, unless you die and the odds against that are substantial. Yes I have seen people spend days in the hospital over bad food, also over hernias, and appendicitis. That’s life.

If you are going to live your life paralyzed with fear then you will end up making whiney posts like the OP. I have been sick in many parts of the world, the truth is, and you just can’t tell what’s going to get ya. My own mom poisoned me something fierce with bad sandwich meat one day. And she is a clean freak. If you are missing out on some of the Thai food simply because you are afraid of it, then I feel sorry for you. I worked as grill cook for a while in a mainstream restaurant, the first day on the job I dropped a rack of ribs on the floor, and was instructed to put it back on the plate and serve it.

My rule of thumb for restaurants is to only go to ones that are busy, if there isn’t someone there when I arrive, I walk back out. Usually there is a reason for having no customers. High food turn around is your best protection from conditions beyond your control.

Thai food can be absolutely fanfreakintastic but not everyday.

Edited by canuckamuck

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly agree that Louisiana has some of the best food in the States but it still remains what it is...bastardised French food. It is the French element that has kept Cajun food etc alive.

Or is it the Caribbean element? Maybe the Spanish or maybe the African?

In southern Louisiana the description 'bastardised French food' would initiate a spirited discussion, followed by spirited sparring. :D

That seems to be about par for an American reaction to just about anything :o

Ok maybe some Thai food is not to all our Western tastes, but to call it crap is exteme in the least! I love Thai food and have not had any adverse effects to it in 5 years. I'm English and I love English food, I also love American, Mexican, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, German, French...........Basically who cares where it comes from, I love food :o

Some of hte the food I see in the country does truly disgust me, believe me and I prefer Italian or Mexican any day. I have had massive food posioning three times here...all releated to the Pizza Company and probably from their salad bar. That is why I will never eat there again. Besides, their pizza is horrid tripe. The best pizza I've had so far in Thailand is at the Snow White Restaraunt in Nakhon Pathom. The owner lived in the U.S. for awhile and makes good gourmet pizzas. Plus, not back steack and icy milk shakes. But Pizza Company is the only place in Thailand (food wise) that has tried to kill me (other things have tried to kill me but we are talking about Thai food so...).

Pizza Company may be a Thai company, but it does not serve Thai food. It serves foreign food prepared and cooked by Thais.

If you want farang food - go to a restaurant run by a farang who knows what he's doing.

(For instance Greg's kitchen / Caddy Shack / Liberty Mansion - for curries)

I remeber about 10 years ago it was like 50/50 I was going to get sick from a street vendor`s food now its about 80/20 that I dont get sick so I think somethings improved...maybe just my tolerence.I find that at outdoor restaurants,vendors as long as alot of Thais eat there the foods usually o.k.

It's incredible that someone would still eat from street vendors knowing the probability of getting sick is 20%. Logically the odds are stacked up against anyone eating from food carts.

This kind of remark will usually get some: "I've eaten from street vendors for years and never gotten sick" retorts. I believe these comments are nothing more than lies or from people with poor memories.

With so many good (and cheap) restaurants in Pattaya I can't think of any reason why anyone (farang) would take the risk other than to save money.

Edited by tropo

Some of hte the food I see in the country does truly disgust me, believe me and I prefer Italian or Mexican any day. I have had massive food posioning three times here...all releated to the Pizza Company and probably from their salad bar. That is why I will never eat there again. Besides, their pizza is horrid tripe. The best pizza I've had so far in Thailand is at the Snow White Restaraunt in Nakhon Pathom. The owner lived in the U.S. for awhile and makes good gourmet pizzas. Plus, not back steack and icy milk shakes. But Pizza Company is the only place in Thailand (food wise) that has tried to kill me (other things have tried to kill me but we are talking about Thai food so...).

Pizza Company may be a Thai company, but it does not serve Thai food. It serves foreign food prepared and cooked by Thais.

If you want farang food - go to a restaurant run by a farang who knows what he's doing.

I've tried Caddy Shack (and liked it), but please tell us about Greg's Kitchen and Liberty Mansion. What are they (what food do they serve) and where are they?

People who say they got sick from street vendors are usually as inaccurate as people who say they never have...in my experience most people don't have a clue as to how they got food poisoning they just blame whatever they feel like at the time.

In fact come to think of it they probably don't even tell if it is food poisoning or something else.

I've tried Caddy Shack (and liked it), but please tell us about Greg's Kitchen and Liberty Mansion. What are they (what food do they serve) and where are they?

Greg's Kitchen - Second Road - past Big C. British-style cuisine (don't laugh - it's good) and a bit up-market. Also serve Thai food, but made for farangs. A little pricy if compared to Thai restaurants.

Liberty Mansion - just down the road from Caddy Shack. On Saturdays during the soccer season there is usually a good curry served by the Sikh owner of the hotel. Otherwise they have a Scandinavian menu from the basic kitchen which is OK, but a trifle greasy.

Glad you liked the pie 'n mash (or did you have the roast lamb?) or other alternatives. My local - along with Liberty Mansion, Harley Bar.

I can't think of any reason why anyone (farang) would take the risk other than to save money.

Ermm, Maybe its because some of us do like to eat the food from street vendors! Are you saying the only reason people eat from Street vendors is to save money? That's very silly.. I personally find alot of the street vendors food very delicious.. I dont eat it to save money, I eat it because I like it... Is that hard to believe? :o

People who say they got sick from street vendors are usually as inaccurate as people who say they never have...in my experience most people don't have a clue as to how they got food poisoning they just blame whatever they feel like at the time.

In fact come to think of it they probably don't even tell if it is food poisoning or something else.

Sorry, but I disagree totally. If a person eats snacks all day long from numerous places, then maybe it's difficult to tell where the poisoning came from, but for normal people who eat 2 or 3 meals a day, it doesn't take long to know if a meal is churning up the stomach. Some people are more in tune with their bodies which helps.

Personally I would know within a few hours (often sooner) if a meal was "wrong". I'm talking about real poisoning here, not a case of mild diarrhea. I observe the way food carts handle and prepare food in a hot climate without refrigeration and adequate wash up facilities and generally choose to stay away from them with a few exceptions eg. The kebab guy on 2nd road (Soi 13) and a noodle place on Soi Buakhao.

Having said that, it's ironic that the worst (and only) case of food poisoning I've had in Thailand was my own doing at home. :o:D:D

Edited by tropo

I can't think of any reason why anyone (farang) would take the risk other than to save money.

Ermm, Maybe its because some of us do like to eat the food from street vendors! Are you saying the only reason people eat from Street vendors is to save money? That's very silly.. I personally find alot of the street vendors food very delicious.. I dont eat it to save money, I eat it because I like it... Is that hard to believe? :o

Yes, I find that quite "silly" to use your words. IMO there are just too many great restaurants around Pattaya to take the risk of eating at food stalls. I didn't say the food didn't taste good...I've tasted great meals at food stalls...but you can find just as good in clean restaurants at a higher price. Call it insurance money if you wish.

I stand by my original assessment that most (read most, not all) people eat at food stalls to save money.

Greg's Kitchen - Second Road - past Big C. British-style cuisine (don't laugh - it's good) and a bit up-market. Also serve Thai food, but made for farangs. A little pricy if compared to Thai restaurants.

Liberty Mansion - just down the road from Caddy Shack. On Saturdays during the soccer season there is usually a good curry served by the Sikh owner of the hotel. Otherwise they have a Scandinavian menu from the basic kitchen which is OK, but a trifle greasy.

Glad you liked the pie 'n mash (or did you have the roast lamb?) or other alternatives. My local - along with Liberty Mansion, Harley Bar.

Thanks for the details. Is the Liberty Mansion (going from Caddy Shack) down toward Thepprasit Road or 3rd Road direction? I get their both ways.

I didn't try the pie 'n mash, but the roast lamb, beef and chicken were all very good.

Yes, I find that quite "silly" to use your words. IMO there are just too many great restaurants around Pattaya to take the risk of eating at food stalls. I didn't say the food didn't taste good...I've tasted great meals at food stalls...but you can find just as good in clean restaurants at a higher price. Call it insurance money if you wish.

I stand by my original assessment that most (read most, not all) people eat at food stalls to save money.

Oh, really! If thats the case, could you provide me with info on a few restaurants that sell the Fried insects, Sour Mango with dip, Thai style sausage balls, Thai style BBQ (Sausages, chicken, sticks of pork with sticky rice) ect ect ???

The street vendors are good if you are also looking for a nice snack to go with your beer, maybe when you're in a bar. Beats driving all the way to a restaurant... :o

Oh, really! If thats the case, could you provide me with info on a few restaurants that sell the Fried insects, Sour Mango with dip, Thai style sausage balls, Thai style BBQ (Sausages, chicken, sticks of pork with sticky rice) ect ect ???

The street vendors are good if you are also looking for a nice snack to go with your beer, maybe when you're in a bar. Beats driving all the way to a restaurant... :D

:D:D:o:D

You got me there! Sure, if that is the type of food you're into, then definitely food stalls are for you.

Please understand that I'm not talking about the TASTE of the food at food stalls, only the hygiene.

Thai's do indeed have a higher tolerance for germs bacteria etc..

We in the west are increasingly living such sanitised lives.

My folks wwere a bit hippy-ish in that I was rarely given pills/medicine for anything.

some 25 years on and my body can tolerate/heal/de-contaminate MOST standard bacterial diseases - Ie: I can eat off most any but the most unhygienic of foodstalls.

Headaches I let pass, and colds I diregard entirely. I tell them to f* Off/

And they do... sometimes with time.

But in the west there's pills for every damned thing and the body doesn't have a chance to build up anti bodies - increasingly so with evry generation/

:bah::o:o:D

You got me there! Sure, if that is the type of food you're into, then definitely food stalls are for you.

Please understand that I'm not talking about the TASTE of the food at food stalls, only the hygiene.

:bah: Yes, Theres nothing better than a few insects with a cold beer to wash them down :D I particularly like those little worms.. They kinda look like maggots but they are pretty tasty :D :D

But I thought you were talking about people trying to save money...

Why Thailand has crap food.

One reason is holding temps. Food cannot be held at room temp. It will poison you. Food should be below 40F or above 135F.

Another is cross contamination. You can’t use just one cutting board for chicken, pork, and so on.

Another is three compartment sinks. One to wash, one to rinse and one to sanitize. They are non existent in Thailand.

Next time you eat at a street side vendor look for the above things. When you get sick you can remember reading it here.

Why does Thailand not enforce even these basic standards? Anyone have any ideas? I don’t really have a clue.

Presumably you'll be leaving Thailand soon so that you can enjoy the "bug-free" food in wherever you come from.

You have no complaint. Thailand's POOR and uneducated that serve up breakfast, lunch and dinner for the nation in the dirty streets do a GREAT job of keeping things clean. I am rarely sick and if so - just a bit of the trots once. There is loads of cheap ice and plastic everywhere.

This is a third world country I do not hesitate to eat fresh vegetables in local eateries

You really ought to go to India, Indonesia or Cambodia and then let me know how you feel.

now pass me that masaman curry!

Been going to India regularly since 2001 .... never got sick

Lived in Thailand early 2002 to late 2006 .... got sick once, which happened to be the first time I tried street food fairly early on in my stay, so reckon that was more acclimatization than anything

My rules are (i) eat local food that the locals eat, not foreign (to them) food because that often turns over slower, which is when problems occur (golden rule in India is do not eat western food, and try to stick to local veggie stuff as it's usually fried in some way (not sure what it does for your waistline though!). Also, look out for raw veggies used as garnish in things like bowls of noodles ... that'll get you for sure until your stomach (or more importantly, the bacteria in it) have adapted to Asian conditions.

Reckon a bit of common sense goes a long way in this subject.

CC

Been going to India regularly since 2001 .... never got sick

Lived in Thailand early 2002 to late 2006 .... got sick once, which happened to be the first time I tried street food fairly early on in my stay, so reckon that was more acclimatization than anything

My rules are (i) eat local food that the locals eat, not foreign (to them) food because that often turns over slower, which is when problems occur (golden rule in India is do not eat western food, and try to stick to local veggie stuff as it's usually fried in some way (not sure what it does for your waistline though!). Also, look out for raw veggies used as garnish in things like bowls of noodles ... that'll get you for sure until your stomach (or more importantly, the bacteria in it) have adapted to Asian conditions.

Reckon a bit of common sense goes a long way in this subject.

CC

You lived in Thailand for 4 years without eating foreign food. Surely you must be joking?

I almost always eat foreign food from clean restaurants with high turnover and never get sick. Some people seem to be able to eat Thai food exclusively, but I don't have the stomach for too much of it.

I was an executive of three major restaurant chains (Wendy's, Hilton Hotels, Golden Corral) in addition to owing my own restaurant and chain of restaurants and 99% of our problems were employees not following correct food handling procedure not our suppliers.

Below are cuts from an American lawyers web-site with three cases against Wendy's in 2002 (and two against Sizzler - for WeHo's benefit)

09.13.2000 Second E. coli Lawsuit Filed Against Wendy's

The parents of a 14-year old boy from Salem, Oregon, filed the second lawsuit against the Wendy’s restaurant located at 2375 Commercial Street in Salem. The lawsuit claims that Wendy’s was liable for injuries and damages that the boy sustained as one of the victims of the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak linked to two Wendy’s restaurants.

09.01.2000 E. coli Lawsuit Filed Against Wendy's

An 85-year old Salem resident filed a lawsuit against the Wendy’s restaurant located at 2375 Commercial Street in Salem, Oregon. He was one of at least sixty people who became ill with symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection after eating at the Wendy's restaurant.

08.29.2000 Attorney Calls on Wendy's to Pay all Victims' Medical Bills

William Marler called on Wendy’s corporate leaders “to do the right thing and immediately pay all the victim’s medical bills related to E. coli illnesses caused by its Salem franchise."

08.24.2000 Same Meat Supplier Reportedly Implicated in 1993 and 2000 Sizzler Outbreaks

Marler Clark amended one complaint filed against Sizzler USA to allege that Excel Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Cargill Corporation, was the manufacturer of the contaminated meat that was the cause of the outbreak that has sickened 62 people and killed one child. “We understand that the CDC’s investigation has concluded that Excel, the same company that supplied meat to Sizzler in 1993, has been identified as the source of the contaminated beef that is believed to have been the source of the bacteria that caused the Milwaukee E. coli outbreak,” explained William Marler.

08.23.2000 Lawsuit Seeks Damages for Daughter Infected with the Deadly E. coli Bacteria While Caring for Sick Mother

Marler Clark and a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, law firm filed damage claims on behalf of a Milwaukee woman who was infected with the E. coli bacteria while caring for her elderly mother. The mother was hospitalized with an E. coli infection after eating contaminated food at the Sizzler located at 975 West Layton Avenue, in Milwaukee.

Actually I'm surprised that he is allowed to quote names and addresses so freely before a trial - even a civil case. Would probably be libel suits in the UK.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

There is a pretty good one in Bangkok called Bourbon Street near the Emporium shopping center and a another good one in Pattaya called The New Orleans Restaurant pretty near walking street. :o

Not tried Bourbon Street, but used to go to New Orleans (in Soi Pattayaland 2).

Worst service in Pattaya, without doubt.

Possibly also some of the worst food.

If this is your idea of a recommendation - I really feel sorry for you. You've never had good food or good service.

I was an executive of three major restaurant chains (Wendy's, Hilton Hotels, Golden Corral) in addition to owing my own restaurant and chain of restaurants and 99% of our problems were employees not following correct food handling procedure not our suppliers.

Below are cuts from an American lawyers web-site with three cases against Wendy's in 2002 (and two against Sizzler - for WeHo's benefit)

09.13.2000 Second E. coli Lawsuit Filed Against Wendy's

The parents of a 14-year old boy from Salem, Oregon, filed the second lawsuit against the Wendy’s restaurant located at 2375 Commercial Street in Salem. The lawsuit claims that Wendy’s was liable for injuries and damages that the boy sustained as one of the victims of the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak linked to two Wendy’s restaurants.

09.01.2000 E. coli Lawsuit Filed Against Wendy's

An 85-year old Salem resident filed a lawsuit against the Wendy’s restaurant located at 2375 Commercial Street in Salem, Oregon. He was one of at least sixty people who became ill with symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection after eating at the Wendy's restaurant.

08.29.2000 Attorney Calls on Wendy's to Pay all Victims' Medical Bills

William Marler called on Wendy’s corporate leaders “to do the right thing and immediately pay all the victim’s medical bills related to E. coli illnesses caused by its Salem franchise."

08.24.2000 Same Meat Supplier Reportedly Implicated in 1993 and 2000 Sizzler Outbreaks

Marler Clark amended one complaint filed against Sizzler USA to allege that Excel Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Cargill Corporation, was the manufacturer of the contaminated meat that was the cause of the outbreak that has sickened 62 people and killed one child. “We understand that the CDC’s investigation has concluded that Excel, the same company that supplied meat to Sizzler in 1993, has been identified as the source of the contaminated beef that is believed to have been the source of the bacteria that caused the Milwaukee E. coli outbreak,” explained William Marler.

08.23.2000 Lawsuit Seeks Damages for Daughter Infected with the Deadly E. coli Bacteria While Caring for Sick Mother

Marler Clark and a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, law firm filed damage claims on behalf of a Milwaukee woman who was infected with the E. coli bacteria while caring for her elderly mother. The mother was hospitalized with an E. coli infection after eating contaminated food at the Sizzler located at 975 West Layton Avenue, in Milwaukee.

Actually I'm surprised that he is allowed to quote names and addresses so freely before a trial - even a civil case. Would probably be libel suits in the UK.

Sure, a dose of food poisoning can be dished up from almost anywhere (even at home), but the chances can be reduced considerably by not taking unneccessary risks such as eating from food carts which have ZERO hygiene regulations.

There is a pretty good one in Bangkok called Bourbon Street near the Emporium shopping center and a another good one in Pattaya called The New Orleans Restaurant pretty near walking street. :D

Not tried Bourbon Street, but used to go to New Orleans (in Soi Pattayaland 2).

Worst service in Pattaya, without doubt.

Possibly also some of the worst food.

If this is your idea of a recommendation - I really feel sorry for you. You've never had good food or good service.

It looks like all of those years of dining in the big house and the looney bin ruined your palette. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

[

It looks like all of those years of dining in the big house and the looney bin ruined your palette. :o

Nope - just avoid places that give bad service followed by worse food.

Enjoy a good goat grab with the locals out here (Saudi). All sit round the pot and - using right hand only - dig in to the big dish. Same applies in local eateries in Indonesia - no cutlery, so use right hand only.

Don't eat porridge much nowadays - one place I lived (RAF station) the cook was caught having an early morning Levy while preparing the porridge.

(Stamford Hill rhyming slang - Levy & Franks (local eatery) = w***s)

By the way - I am not an artist, so don't use a palette.

I enjoy my food and have a good palate.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Why Thailand has crap food.

One reason is holding temps. Food cannot be held at room temp. It will poison you. Food should be below 40F or above 135F.

Another is cross contamination. You can’t use just one cutting board for chicken, pork, and so on.

Why? Cooking it will destroy all germs - it's all the same raw.

Another is three compartment sinks. One to wash, one to rinse and one to sanitize. They are non existent in Thailand.

Next time you eat at a street side vendor look for the above things. When you get sick you can remember reading it here.

I think I'll be OK, as I have for the past five years.

Why does Thailand not enforce even these basic standards? Anyone have any ideas? I don’t really have a clue.

Because Thailand isn't a country full of pussies like the US and UK whose immune systems are so compromised from living in such a hermetically-sealed environment. When small pests come along, strong immune systems kill it off, while reeking havoc on weak immune systems.

That said - I smell a TROLL.

Most households have bleach and or dishwashers in the West. If you sanitize one board between products it is fine. Has anyone ever seen a bottle of bleach in Thailand?

Are you sure you live in Thailand?? You can find bleach in almost any grocery, general, or 7-11 type store.