Why Does Thailand Have Crap Food

kerryk

I haven't had any nasty surprises from eating off street stalls here, I always have a good look first and at least you can see where they're cooking it and all the ingredients.

George Orwell said in 'Down and out in Paris and London' the more expensive the restaurant was and the more peoples hands your food had to pass through to get to you, the more chance there was that someone would drop it on the floor or spit in it.

Edited by Robski

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Orwell said in 'Down and out in Paris and London' the more expensive the restaurant was and the more peoples hands your food had to pass through to get to you, the more chance there was that someone would drop it on the floor or spit in it.

LOVED that book! :o

when I want to eat crap food in Thailand, I just go to

McDonald's or or other fastfood "so called" restaurants.

Funny, I posted the same post, identical, when I was a newbie to Thailand. Now, I eat Mac whenever I want. And watch affluent Thais doing the same.

And (in BKK) Big John's meat pies too (no many Thais there except the clueless staff).

When in Pattaya, I drive from Jomtien to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital not to see the doctors - but to get french bagels and sandwiches from their in-house shop. About 6:45pm, just before they close.

Then, our family sits for dinner, no TV (no television). Fried rice for the baby, for me too, but the main dish is my european and the wife eats whatever she eats, I can't describe that crap. A few times I had to go and sleep in a different room, could not stand her breath coming out off that food.

(I eat papaya salad, it's not included in the rants).

I think choice is the key, I like to eat noodle soup with pork, I don't want all the extras though, but to some they're the good bit's and if you're poor the only bits you're going to get.

There's always Yorkies pies and mash potato if you want it.

Perhaps your wife calls what you eat crap.

Yes, all the things you grew up on, made yourself capable of supporting her (and more), a girl from a jungle or dirt may state you were fed crap.

Had she known what the food is all about she could be right. But she does not know, she has never seen a civilized breakfast other than rice soup (+ if old enough, lao khao).

Those who had bargirls in their hotels and took them for breakfast know what I mean.

Now, they have any right to call my food "crap"?

Why Thailand has crap food.

One reason is holding temps. Food cannot be held at room temp. It will poison you. Food should be below 40F or above 135F.

Another is cross contamination. You can’t use just one cutting board for chicken, pork, and so on.

Another is three compartment sinks. One to wash, one to rinse and one to sanitize. They are non existent in Thailand.

Next time you eat at a street side vendor look for the above things. When you get sick you can remember reading it here.

Why does Thailand not enforce even these basic standards? Anyone have any ideas? I don’t really have a clue.

The only time I had food poisoning in Thailand was when I ate in a five star hotel on Sukhumvit.

Yes, all the things you grew up on, made yourself capable of supporting her (and more), a girl from a jungle or dirt may state you were fed crap.

Had she known what the food is all about she could be right. But she does not know, she has never seen a civilized breakfast other than rice soup (+ if old enough, lao khao).

Those who had bargirls in their hotels and took them for breakfast know what I mean.

What is a 'civilised breakfast'?

The foreign food in Vietnam is MUCH better than Thailand and cheaper too. I ate like a king when I lived there, but I much prefer Thai people and Thailand despite the cr*p food! :o

I prefer the food in Singapore to Thailand actually but mainly due to the variety available.

My friend who is staying with me for a few days from Thailand says even the noodles are better here in Singapore and she did eat an awful lot of Chili Crab yesterday!

I still love Thai foor but I do like the variety here.

What is a 'civilised breakfast'?

Fried bacon, fried sausages, fried eggs, fried black pudding, fried potatos, fried bread, fried tomatos and baked beans :o all washed down with a big mug of lukewarm dirty water masquerading as tea, or coffee depending on what you ordered. :D Followed by a massive stack of waffles coated in sickly sweet concoctions. :D:D

I've eaten in Thai restaurants where food is being prepared right outside the Thomas F. Crapper door, places where the grease and dirt extended two metres up the walls, places where dogs, cats and chickens run free. After all that the worst dose of the squits I ever had in 12 years came from a farang food restaurant. The second worst was back in the UK on my first R&R after a year in Thailand.

As for washing my hands, I wash them when I take a shower in the morning and I'll rinse them after I curl one off in the pan. Apart from rinsing them if I've eaten some greasy gai yang or handled something particularly mucky the next wash they'll get is during the evening shower.

I can't remember the last time I was laid up sick.

Everywhere I've lived in my life I have had one sink, one wooden chopping board, one large carving knife and one small boning knife. These all just got washed up in the single sink with everything else and never used bleach.

When I was a kid we used to eat blackberries and strawberries straight off the bushes, collect chestnuts off the forest floor and eat them straight away. We used to go scrumping and eat the apples straight off the trees. We used to go fishing and eat our sandwiches having maybe rinsed our hands in the river or canal.

I don't recall ever missing a days school due to sickness and I wasn't one of these big strapping hale and hearty types.

Anyway what's wrong with personal choice? If you don't like the hygeine of the eateries then eat at home where, no doubt, your kitchen rivals the worlds best operating theatres.

One reason is holding temps. Food cannot be held at room temp. It will poison you. Food should be below 40F or above 135F.

Another is cross contamination. You can’t use just one cutting board for chicken, pork, and so on.

Another is three compartment sinks. One to wash, one to rinse and one to sanitize. They are non existent in Thailand.

Next time you eat at a street side vendor look for the above things. When you get sick you can remember reading it here.

Why does Thailand not enforce even these basic standards? Anyone have any ideas? I don’t really have a clue.

You happened to work for CDC or something or on cruise ships???

Just for your information the guide lines you just mentioned are only required by vessels (VSP Vessel Sanitation Program) coming from foreign soil sailing into a US port. These requirements do not apply for any land based operation not even in the US. So stop whining as 3 compartment sinks and stuff like that dont even exist in your local McDonalds mister as I am sure that is the food you prefer am I right. Get your head screwed on the right way ( on yourshoulders and not your ass) or another alternative is leave Thailand and never come back so you wont get sick from Thai food no more. Ciao

I have worked in the food business in the US for 30 years. The requirements I mentioned are standard in each and every restaurant in the US and have been for 30 years in every state in the US.

Search HACCP on google for confirmation. In addition to those requirements most states require HACCP training for each and every employee to be employed in a food service establishment.

HACCP is also the recognized international standard and says that improper holding temps cause 90% of foodborne illness.

I was going to tell you all the places to eat in Pattaya that use these standards but since you all never get sick I guess I will keep that info to myself. Happy eating.

This might be true but it doesn't mean the requirements are met.

Washing ones hands and keeping food at the right temp really is a moot point when you have a rat infestation.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/technol...restaurant_rats

I'm sure you are also familiar with the statistics for the US:

"In the United States, there are approximately 76 million foodborne illnesses (26,000 cases for 100,000 inhab.):

325,000 were hospitalized (111 per 100,000 inhab.);

5,000 people died (1.7 per 100,000 inhab.).

Major pathogens from food borne illness in the United States cost upwards of US $35 billion dollars in medical costs and lost productivity (1997)"

The above from the World Health Organization website: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs237/en/

Some of the best meals of my life have been from food carts and small restaurants in Thailand.

I've never suffered from any serious food poisoning, although when first arriving from the U.S. it takes a week or so before my stomach adjusts to the food and water.

I pop pepto bismal pills as a deterrent when first arriving, then stop after a week or so.

kerryk - do you have a triple sink and 6 cutting boards in your house? If not, why not? You say that "99% of our problems were employees not following correct food handling procedure not our suppliers" That is poor management/supervision. Would they be better employees had they been HSCCP certified? I think not.

The reason that the US has required HACCP training for every food service employee is because most food service employees are uneducated minimum wage employees who have some illiterate idea that food sanitation is not really necessary to preserve health.

When you are dealing with ignorant low class people that make up the majority of food service employees I think that HACCP training is a great assistance in making them better and safer employees.

It is the experience of most health departments that the program is working.

Instead of blaming 'ignorant low class people', try blaming yourself and your management team and not using a lame excuse!

Once again, do you have a triple sink in your house? If not, why not?

I am not blaming ignorant low class people. I am saying ignorant low class people have no idea of food safety and need education to realize the importance of little things like hand washing and proper holding temps.

The reason I don’t have a three compartment sink at home is I have a high temp dishwasher that sanitizes the dishes.

Just for your information the guide lines you just mentioned are only required by vessels (VSP Vessel Sanitation Program) coming from foreign soil sailing into a US port. These requirements do not apply for any land based operation not even in the US. So stop whining as 3 compartment sinks and stuff like that dont even exist in your local McDonalds mister as I am sure that is the food you prefer am I right. Get your head screwed on the right way ( on yourshoulders and not your ass) or another alternative is leave Thailand and never come back so you wont get sick from Thai food no more. Ciao

There are three compartment sinks in every McDonalds world wide and three compartment sinks in every restaurant in the United States. I have never worked on a cruise ship.

There are three compartment sinks in every McDonalds world wide and three compartment sinks in every restaurant in the United States. I have never worked on a cruise ship.

but I would rather eat at a street vendor before venturing in a McDonalds, it just aint real food! :o

The OP makes a huge (and unprovable) assumption, that Thai food is crap. It's not crap for everyone. Thai food suits me better than any cuisine I've ever eaten and standards of hygiene in Thailand are overakk pretty high, for SE Asia.

Akin to asking 'Have you stopped beating your wife?'

The foreign food in Vietnam is MUCH better than Thailand and cheaper too. I ate like a king when I lived there, but I much prefer Thai people and Thailand despite the cr*p food! :o

Hmm had the opposite exprience, find VN food bland by comparison and was often overcharged (4-5x local price).

I said FOREIGN food (French, Singaporean, Malaysian, European, etc.), but I also prefer Vietnamese food to Thai food in an upscale restaurant like "Indochine" in Hanoi; the best Vietnamese food that I have had anywhere! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The ingrediants are healthy but not the added sugar and salt plus being cooked in crap oil.

Depends on the dish...no salt or sugar in roast duck except in the optional sauce maybe.

Japanese and Korean food is also very salty. Perhaps the sugar counteracts the salt

as Thais don't get as many cases of stomach cancer as Koreans or Japanese.

Chicken in coconut soup..far better than the oils used in Korean street-stall food.

There are 10 or less Thai meals that are good and internationally recognized.

Italy would have hundreds if not thousands more.

Other "Thai" food are fish fried "thai way" or something than nobody in the world could spoil, no matter how they cook it. That food would taste good if just boiled in plain water (schimps).

Japanese don't even bother to cook it.

Other than fried rice, larb, a few soups, pad thai and krapao gai (and it's variants) it is all rubbish - guts, skin, fat, oil, bones.....disgusting to watch the locals eating it.

Even that (other than rice based cooking) is not everywhere upcountry. There I bring a toaster, jam, vegemite and a pack of lean ham. Much healthier than what they eat.

While they pig on the unspeakable trash, I am happy to sip a plain rice soup and look aside.

What a predujiced bore you are...SO WHAT if natural meals are not internationally recognized?

Do you know that Italy has some of the highest rates of obesity with all that 'natural' pasta?

Guts, skin(lots of vitamins here) fat are part of the NATURAL DIET of man..

Healthy tribes have been eating that way for a long time....none on toast or vegimite I'm afraid.

Wow you eat lean meat(fat is bad...wrong!) rice soup... bread..(unnatural

carbohydrate)..

Well it's all a matter of perspctive and knowledge of anthropology..

Thailand has some of the best food in the world, never once been ill from food carts or from a restaurant. :o

Thai's are sick ALL the time. Ever heard a Thai say Bawt Tong. I rest my case...........

It's a good point. I've never been sick from eating anywhere in Thailand, ever (touch wood). On the other hand the missus goes to hospital at least twice a year with food poisoning, with another food poisoning whinge, at least once a month. All the Thais I know get food poisoning quite regularly.

(sombody stated that Thais have a strong immune system. I 100% disagree with that statement.)

I think that Thai food is very over-rated. Some of the Chinese food, curries and other heavily influenced (read non original Thai) dishes are good, but the standard Thai food is just OK. I'd consider; Cantonese, Malaysian, north and south Indian, Italian, French, plus, plus to be far better cuisines. - though you can always get a decent street meal here for 30 baht.

But, I think that hygiene here is OK. If you worry too much about, then go and spend a little bit of time in China! When you come back, you'll see a clean and germ free food heaven.

I said FOREIGN food (French, Singaporean, Malaysian, European, etc.), but I also prefer Vietnamese food to Thai food in an upscale restaurant like "Indochine" in Hanoi; the best Vietnamese food that I have had anywhere! :D

Sorry, read you wrong! French food in Laos & Vietnam is a treat. :o