Bittorent

coldcrush

Can't really say too much as not allowed due to forum rules but i use utorrent which uses a amazingly small amount of cpu and has most of the features i need. Isohunt and the pirate bay are my best torrent sites.

hope this info isnt breaking any rules.

You need to set utorrent as your default torrent client, go into options-preferences-general then in windows intergration click associate with torrent files! You can also check "the association on start up" box. This should do it. You can also add torrents manually by copying there URL address from the torrent site then clicking the little globe with the plus sign (add torrent from URL) at the top of utorrent and pasting the URL address in. Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for your replies.

I have done what you said and it seemed to be working......then...it gives this message:

(coemultitorrent.19u91-uf i090`909`10} Aborting the torrent as it could not connect to the tracker while not connected to any peers.

Any clues?

Thanks

Where are you getting your torrents from? it seem that there arn't any peers to the torrent you are tring to download (although this is usualy represented by a red arrow on the left on utorrent!) try isohunt and pick a torrent with alot of peers and see if that works [LOOK FOR SOMETHING WITH A LOT OF] peers just try to download that for half a hour and see waht happens. I downloaded this yeaterday at 80Kbs in 1h20m. report what happens.

What takes 3 days to download? how big is the file? have you set up utorrent using the speed guide in options? also have you forwarded you ports (also in speed guide at the bottom) you can tell if your ports are forwarded with the little icon at the bottom of utorrents main screen it should be a green tick, anything else could mean a problem (clicking on it will help you sort it out)

uTorrent Client

Torrent Harvester , which is used for locating torrents across ~ 170 sites.

The OP could be encountering one of half a dozen issues ranging from port-forwarding of their router, to misconfiguring the client, to having their ISP limit their bandwidth, to trying to get a file that very few (if any) are actually 'seeding'.

IME 3 days would not be unreasonable if talking about say a 4+ GB file.

I us uTorrent also, as OneeteJohn said, it is probably one of the best out there, I find the Protocol Encryption particularly handy as TT&T throttle P2P connections, so this helps bypass the speed restrictions.

3 days, no problem, I'm downloading a file at the moment (well many files, but from one torrent) it is going to take over a week, mind you its nearly 9Gb in size :o

For torrent hosts, google ".torrent", there are many good ones out there

Edited by solent01

I use uTorrent with minimal problems... can never get a 'green' network connection but im still able to download. Speed varies according to which direction the winds blowing :o

It sounds as though you have not properly set up "port forwarding".

Go to "Options", "Speed Guide" and under option no. 2 click on the box "Test if port is forwarded properly".

Do you have a router? If so, what is the make and model number.

It sounds as though you have not properly set up "port forwarding".

Go to "Options", "Speed Guide" and under option no. 2 click on the box "Test if port is forwarded properly".

Do you have a router? If so, what is the make and model number.

I've spent hours working on this one, I believe i've set up port forwarding correctly, there was a guide on the uTorrent site on how to set up my router (TP-Link) and i've followed all the steps etc. I've checked my firewall and made the necessary changes (i have since upgraded to Vista and am now using the Windows firewall).

It's probably incorrect to say i see the red icon all the time, i do sometimes see the yellow icon.

I've tried the "Test Port" function but i can never get it to report success, it always reports failed, but im still able to connect to torrents, and upload/download with nominal issues. I can only presume my ISP is blocking/filtering in some way.

I'm not at home right now so i cant check/confirm anything until later

I've tried the "Test Port" function but i can never get it to report success, it always reports failed, but im still able to connect to torrents, and upload/download with nominal issues. I can only presume my ISP is blocking/filtering in some way.

I'm not at home right now so i cant check/confirm anything until later

I suspect that you have not properly set-up port forwarding. If you are able to upload/download torrents why do you suspect your ISP is blocking/filtering? Did you enable encryption on the uTorrent client? Are you running any P2P (e.g. PeerWeb) clients simultaneously?

UPnP might be a contributing factor, I disable it in my router and in the client. Your OS may need some tweaking re: UPnP too.

What port number are you forwarding UTorrent to? You have to match the selection in the client to that of the router. What local/internal IP address are you forwarding, it should be 192.168.n.n and not a global/external IP address like 58.n.n.n

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

To the Op, UTorrent is definitely one of the best and has a really small footprint as well. I have tried a few of the others and always seem to come back to UTorrent every time. As 69_68iou1 said ISOHunt is a great site as well as Demonoid although you'll need an invite to get into Demonoid these days.

Cheers

Have same problem, "great" download, approx 80kb/s speed for 1-2 days and then 1-2kb/s

Can't believe what I'm saying....2 years ago if I had 800kb/s I'd be climbing the walls in frustration. Switch from 100mbit fiber to 2mbit adsl...

Do anyone know how I can find out what router my ISP is using? I'm not sure what the network looks like but I think all connections in my condocomplex goes thru a main server in the building ( ?? ).

Torrentspy.com is blocked at the moment by nice people from "ministry of information and communication technology" (all lower case).

What has it got that other torrent sites don't? Did I miss something?

Yeah Plus it's been blocked for about a week now on and off. I'm not sure either as there's nothing on that site that you can't get from any number of others. In actual fact it's not one of the better ones so who knows? Bit of a strange one! :o

Cheers

Jimmy