Thai/UK Citizen leaving Thailand on UK Passport

**Eds please feel free to move this into a more appropriate category**

My wife holds but Thai and UK citizenship, she is currently in Thailand and wants to return to the UK. She has been in Thailand overseeing a construction project which has over ran. During this time he Thai passport (which she used to enter the country) has expired. She now wants to return to the UK, using her UK passport still in date. I can not see a problem when she arrives in the UK. But will she have a problem leaving Thailand, i.e if she used her UK passport to leave she have no stamp and/or her Thai passport been out of date.

Or would she have to have her Thai passport renewed, which i believe needs to be done in bangkok.

Thanks

If the UK passport was issued to her in Thailand, she may be able to leave Thailand on it. Otherwise, immigration will want to see the passport used to enter Thailand. As suggested above, the easiest solution is just to get a new Thai passport, which should be cheap and quick.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If the UK passport was issued to her in Thailand, she may be able to leave Thailand on it.

That would make no difference. She has depart Thailand using a Thai passport.

It takes less than a week to get one after applying for it at one of the many passport offices in the country.

List of them is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would make no difference. She has depart Thailand using a Thai passport.

It takes less than a week to get one after applying for it at one of the many passport offices in the country.

List of them is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

Last time my wife renewed her Thai passport she drove to Chantaburi and was issued with a new one on the spot. Contrast this with the tediously bureaucratic process which we Brits here in LOS are obliged to follow at passport renewal time these days!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Last time my wife renewed her Thai passport she drove to Chantaburi and was issued with a new one on the spot.

That must of been a long time ago. All passports are done in Bangkok after the application is done and then are sent by EMS.

If applied for at the main office in Bangkok it is possible to get one on the same same day if it is an emergency situation.

44 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Last time my wife renewed her Thai passport she drove to Chantaburi and was issued with a new one on the spot. Contrast this with the tediously bureaucratic process which we Brits here in LOS are obliged to follow at passport renewal time these days!

you can get a UK passport the same day in the UK, a Thai passport in the UK is a long drawn out process

a Thai passport in Thailand can be obtained same day, a UK passport in Thailand is a long drawn out process

so both countries have the same process