Migrants being held in Texas enclosure as surge overwhelms El Paso

webfact

Migrants being held in Texas enclosure as surge overwhelms El Paso

By Jose Luis Gonzalez

2019-03-29T031707Z_1_LYNXNPEF2S07B_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-BORDER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Central American migrants are seen inside an enclosure where they are being held by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), after crossing the border between Mexico and the United States illegally and turning themselves in to request asylum, in El Paso, Texas, March 27, 2019. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez/File Photo

EL PASO, Texas (Reuters) - Hundreds of migrants are being held in a chain-link enclosure in El Paso, Texas, as the number of families crossing the U.S.-Mexico border in the city overwhelms U.S. Border Patrol facilities, the agency said on Thursday.

The enclosure holds migrants crossing the border illegally in metropolitan El Paso as they wait to be processed at a nearby Border Patrol station, U.S. Border Patrol Agent Ramiro Cordero said by phone.

How long they remain in the enclosure, set up late last month below the city's Paso del Norte International Bridge to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, depends on how many migrants cross the border, he said.

"It could be a couple of hours, it could be more than that, it could be overnight, I can't tell you, it's just too many people for me to tell you an exact time or time frame," Cordero said.

He said migrants are now crossing at an average of 570 people per day in the area, the highest rate in more than a decade, according to the Border Patrol.

Migrants at the enclosure are given thermal blankets and can get shelter, food, water and a medical evaluation, officials said. A Reuters photographer saw children sleeping outside in the enclosed area on Sunday night, when the low was around 47 degrees Fahrenheit (8 degrees Celsius).

"This is an inhumane and inexcusable way to treat people," Taylor Levy, legal coordinator for El Paso migrant shelter Annunciation House, said by phone as she visited the enclosure on Thursday night.

She said migrants inside told her they had been there for between one and four days. She said she saw toddlers sleeping on the dirt and gravel beneath the bridge.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan told an El Paso news briefing on Wednesday the agency planned to set up temporary buildings to house migrant families, before a planned $192 million processing facility is built.

Those buildings have yet to be put up, according to Cordero.

More than 1,000 migrants were arrested in the El Paso sector on Monday, bringing the total number in CBP custody - including the enclosure - to almost 3,500 on Wednesday. The migrants are in facilities built for far fewer people and designed for single adults who once formed the bulk of arrests, McAleenan said.

Families and children now form the majority of apprehensions across the Southwest border, with a record 55,000 family units apprehended or encountered in March, McAleenan said.

El Paso migrant shelters are receiving around 700 people a day from immigration authorities, compared with a previous high of 2,000 a week in late 2018, said Dylan Corbett, director of El Paso's Hope Border Institute which advocates for migrant rights.

"It’s not sustainable right now, that’s why everyone is really nervous, because this just can’t last,” Corbett said by phone.

(Reporting by Jose Luis Gonzalez in El Paso, Texas; Additional reporting and writing by Andrew Hay in New Mexico; Editing by Julie Marquis and G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-29

in some countries these folks would be taken on a short one-way trip where they would die of sudden lead poisoning. In America, they'll be given housing, food, health care, representation in domestic politics, preferential treatment for employment, and accolades from prominent social figures. America with all it's faults and all the rhetoric about the inequality of the free market system it employees remains the is the greatest country in the world, the envy of all other nations and the preferred home to nearly all the people the world. God bless America and God bless President Donald Trump.  I'd write more but I need to deposit my social security check, my dividend payments from the securities I hold in the New York Stock Exchange, and my pension check. Wooo Hooo!  

• Haha 2

This is insane. Let's forget about Trump and deal with this "National Emergency" JHC this is getting ridiculous. These people are being released into the USA just because they say the magic word...…"Asylum" 

• Like 2

Wow.  One way or another, it looks like someone is making sure the States is distracted and paying.  Be it a wall and border security, or social benefits and stressing domestic resources (schools, hospitals, police, immigration, etc).  An interesting method of attack (and money maker for the connected).

They are applying for asylum what they are doing is leagle we need to change the law that means Donald has to negotiate with the dems as he has proven time and time again that is something he doesent know how to do this crises is manufactured by Donald 

• Like 1

Whatever the cause I hope it's sorted soon because once over the border some of them are taking a look around and then heading to Canada. We had a whack of em out west a winter ago that lost fingers and toes to frostbite, I think they got to stay, something to do with the appendage lost on foreign property law. Luckily though, most head to Quebec.

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

god damn invasion .... we gotta keep em out  !!!

America needs a marketing guy to convince them of the virtues of Latin America.  Nice climate, good health care, inexpensive, safe living environment.  Why would anyone want to leave? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Treat them humanely. What's the problem with that?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh the irony.  JT (an American) started a thread on alternative retirement destinations in Latin America and here we have tens of thousand of Latinos trying to illegally retire in America.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

America needs a marketing guy to convince them of the virtues of Latin America.  Nice climate, good health care, inexpensive, safe living environment.  Why would anyone want to leave? 
I don't find that funny. Obviously many of the people are literally fleeing for their lives. Please don't put all of Latin America in the same bag. There are advanced nations like Chile and also basket cases like Honduras.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yeah our own Thaivisa has boots on the ground over there. He lasted what a week in Colombia? lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

What Trump needs to do is build tent city detention centers. You do that, the problem ends almost immediately. That is essentially the policy Australia implemented in successfully ending the boat people problem. You detain everyone in a humane but uncomfortable and thoroughly unpleasant detention center and keep them there till their "asylum" hearing and then you kick them out. Once the invaders know the gig is up, they stop coming, as we saw in Australia. But to get things rolling Trump really needs to sort out the problems in his own administration. Kristjen Nielsen NEEDS to be replaced, stat. She is disloyal, incompetent, and serves the Globalists rather than her President. 

A sheriff in Arizona already does it to US citizens. Our troops in the in places like Iraq live in the same conditions.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

The dems have this problem solved easily. It's a 6 step plan.

1. Completely open the border

2. Abolish ICE

3. Make picture ID unnecessary when voting

4. Nobody is allowed to ask if you are a citizen when voting

5. Lower the voting age to 16 although without pic ID being a requirement this is somewhat unenforceable

6. Get rid of the electoral college

Bonus points for wanting to add extra judges to the SCOTUS

Doesn't sound insane at all does it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Oh the irony.  JT (an American) started a thread on alternative retirement destinations in Latin America and here we have tens of thousand of Latinos trying to illegally retire in America.

Not the same sort of migration, is it?

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The dems have this problem solved easily. It's a 6 step plan.

1. Completely open the border

2. Abolish ICE

3. Make picture ID unnecessary when voting

4. Nobody is allowed to ask if you are a citizen when voting

5. Lower the voting age to 16 although without pic ID being a requirement this is somewhat unenforceable

6. Get rid of the electoral college

Bonus points for wanting to add extra judges to the SCOTUS

Doesn't sound insane at all does it?

Nobody wants to completely open the border.

Expanding voting of citizens and fighting racist voter suppression? Absolutely!