Marriage Extension - 400K Bank Method - (Nonthaburi)

Here's what I don't understand:

The reason for the requirement to have 400k in bank is ostensibly to ensure that if I fall ill I won't be a burden on the Thai economy. I am fine with that .

However, if I should fall ill and need to use that money for my health care I would fall below the 400k requirement. What happens then? Will I be required to leave Thailand? 

23 minutes ago, Spike1938 said:

The reason for the requirement to have 400k in bank is ostensibly to ensure that if I fall ill I won't be a burden on the Thai economy. I am fine with that .

That is not the reason for the 400k baht in the bank. It is to for proof you have money to live on.

24 minutes ago, Spike1938 said:

However, if I should fall ill and need to use that money for my health care I would fall below the 400k requirement. What happens then? Will I be required to leave Thailand? 

After you have the one year extension of stay based upon marriage completed and your extension stamp their is no requirement to keep it in the bank. You don't need it to be in the bank until 2 months before you apply for your next extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When have they ever insisted on it being a joint account? From 2006 to 2008 they allowed joint accounts when the wife's income could be used for the extension. Since 2008 joint accounts have not been allowed.

They reason for not accepting a joint account is that under the law 50% belongs to the wife. 

I am not sure of the time-frame - 90s I think - but I recall a report that IOs insisted it be joint.  Of course, it may have been a "local office rule" thing.

6 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

wow you sound really bitter Jack, what did they do to you at immigration to make you hate so much?

Me, personally?  Screwed me around repeatedly over unpublished requirements - for a Non-O stamp, first, and then for the Non-O extension - and were extremely rude to my wife for no reason.  I started with everything listed on this site as required - extremely prepared, well-dressed, etc.  They added something else each time I attempted to apply until I gave up and went out for a Non-O-ME.

Then, I read story after story here of people getting jacked around by these little (censored), using a legit govt-service as cover for their schemes.  This problem has captured many larger offices and entry-points, while chain of command lets them run wild - ignoring their activities, and even re-writing the official rules in ways that help them maximize side-revenue.

I am not bitter in general - but I definitely want every foreigner who stays in Thailand I can reach to know and be prepared for what they may be dealing with at many entry points and offices - that it isn't on the "up and up."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danthai said:

If switching from retirement visa to married visa in 2019, do they care where the seeded money comes from as long as you have the bank letter to show the money is in the bank. 

No they do not care where it came from.

Thanks ubonjoe. Got another reply from DFAS asking aboit IAT format. They replied:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

As you requested, the 4-1-19 pay was sent by the regular IAT format; not SWIFT.  We also show no return of your 4-1-19 pay at DFAS either.  If you have any questions or concerns, or did not receive your pay, please contact a  Representative 1-888-332-7411 or 216-522-5096, options 4-3-5 and 3, as we will not be able to assist you though the AskDFAS forum due t the Privacy Act of 1974.  Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm EST. 

Thank you immensely for your service and for allowing us to assist you today with your Retired Pay Account.  We are committed to providing quality service to our customers.  
Sincerely,

DFAS-CL

Guess that's good. Should find out by the 4th when get both SSA and Military retirement. Its dangerous to assume. No mention changing to IAT was now standard procedure. 

They do some funny things , a couple of years back they said i had no activity showing in my AC. No because i put it there for my extensions yers ago snd never touch it. So now i take some out go to the counter and put it back in again, Imo are happy but teller thinks im a bit retarded. Strange times we live in.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect