Marriage Extension - 400K Bank Method - (Nonthaburi)

Fantastic, I have NEVER before during my 11 years even heard about applying for an extension based on marriage nor Retirement with the bank-method and not even have to show a bankbook OR a bankletter!!!!!!!!!!

Is this really so? I would love to have a Immigration-office, that so much not did their job here around me in Chaiyaphum..

glegolo

• Sad 1

Sorry I was not eagled-eyed like I should have been.. I understand what you say..... Why he even mentioned it, creates confusing thoughts.. Do you really need to show your bank book once again after 30 days consideration period??? Is that normal...

glegolo

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He needed them for the extension application but apparently was told he did not need to show them when he goes back for his extension stamp in 30 days 

aghh  got it now  so nothings changed then as per??

31 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Sorry I was not eagled-eyed like I should have been.. I understand what you say..... Why he even mentioned it, creates confusing thoughts.. Do you really need to show your bank book once again after 30 days consideration period??? Is that normal...

glegolo

Did my extension at Hua Hin a while back, and they told me they might call me and ask for updated bank book when I come back for the stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ocddave said:

Yup, thats the reason I wanted to post this, just so anyone who was wondering how Nonthaburi handles it, in my case it was pretty straight-forward, no hassles. I was worried after seeing a few posts from others with issues at CW, I thought it would be an issue at Nonthaburi being so close, but no such issues ????  Note: extensions was approved on-time, normal 30 day wait.

I did my extension application (marriage) at Korat a couple of weeks ago and was told I should not let my balance drop below 400K while under consideration.  I asked if I needed another bank letter to prove this when I went for the final stamp and was told I didn't?  But I will be taking an updated passbook with me just in case.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

CW Bangkok is doing this to applicants now, and some reports at other offices, so expect it may spread. 

Some IOs don't think 2 months is "enough seasoning," and want to discourage marriage-extensions in general, so adding a 3rd month in contradiction to the rules serves their agenda. 

Sometimes they aren't done after 1 mo consideration, and demand applicants don't touch the money (they may need to live / support their family) for a 4th month.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He needed them for the extension application but apparently was told he did not need to show them when he goes back for his extension stamp in 30 days 

Yeah exactly just like when you told me when I went back for mine that all I needed to bring with me was my passport on the day I finally got my actual one year stamp for this year’s extension till 2020 and you were exactly right.  Although I don’t use the 400K option I use the monthly income option.  Although the initial extension application is a lot of paperwork but it’s worth it to stay here and it’s only once a year.  

15 hours ago, ocddave said:

Yup, thats the reason I wanted to post this, just so anyone who was wondering how Nonthaburi handles it, in my case it was pretty straight-forward, no hassles. I was worried after seeing a few posts from others with issues at CW, I thought it would be an issue at Nonthaburi being so close, but no such issues ????  Note: extensions was approved on-time, normal 30 day wait.

Glad to hear. Will be switching from retirement to marriage in December at Nonthaburi.

Did they emphasize the need to report to Nonthaburi Immigration when returning from outside the country?

50 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

CW Bangkok is doing this to applicants now, and some reports at other offices, so expect it may spread. 

Some IOs don't think 2 months is "enough seasoning," and want to discourage marriage-extensions in general, so adding a 3rd month in contradiction to the rules serves their agenda. 

Sometimes they aren't done after 1 mo consideration, and demand applicants don't touch the money (they may need to live / support their family) for a 4th month.

Thanks for your information, really good to know..

glegolo

38 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The question is, will you need to show your bank-book again at the end of the "under consideration" period, even though you already proved 2-mo seasoning when you applied?   This is the new trick they are pulling in some offices.

Probably have to show bank book because IO said not to go under the 400000 until consideration period finished

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I swapped from an extension based on retirement to one based on marriage yesterday at Maha Sarakham. Easy enough but had to seed 400000thb for 2 months and show bank statement and letter from bank. 

What does the letter from the bank say?

Did it cost anything?

The letter just had my account details etc and stated the balance on the day I attended Immigration. I also had to take a statement which showed I had not gone under the 400000. Immigration only wanted a statement showing 2 months of transactions but Bangkok Bank only would do 3 months. Do not give Immigration 12 months of statements they are not interested and just confuses what they are looking for.  The cost was 100thb for the letter and likewise for the statement but other banks may differ.

Edited by Asquith Production
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear. Will be switching from retirement to marriage in December at Nonthaburi.
Did they emphasize the need to report to Nonthaburi Immigration when returning from outside the country?
Haven't left yet since coming here in 2016, so not sure on that one, sorry.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I did my extension application (marriage) at Korat a couple of weeks ago and was told I should not let my balance drop below 400K while under consideration.  I asked if I needed another bank letter to prove this when I went for the final stamp and was told I didn't?  But I will be taking an updated passbook with me just in case.....
I brought an updated bankbook too, I wanted to be ready if they asked, but all they took when I arrived was my passport, 1-1/2 hrs later I was leaving with my 1yr extension stamp...so no unexpected problems.

• Like 1

I also went to Nonthaburi IO yesterday to file for extension (marriage). I submitted the standard letter from Bangkok Bank which simply gives my details and the current balance of the account (charge = 100 baht), statement of account for the past six months clearly indicating which deposits came from abroad and which were internal (100 baht), and at the desk the agent did a complete copy of my bank book. After looking over these documents, he looked up and gave me the 'why don't you switch to a retirement visa instead?' pitch. I've had that for each of the three extensions I've done so far. I had done monthly transfers for only the past five months but that wasn't discussed. There was also no discussion about what will transpire in a month's time when I go back for the stamp.

What surprised me is how much of the process is being outsourced. I had forgotten to bring a photo, so I was sent to the shack next door to have one taken (100 baht). Then when all the documents had been assembled (incidentally, they don't stick to the old requirement that you should prepare two sets of docs), I was sent down to the shack again to have the stack photocopied (60 baht). When you add up the parking fee (20 baht) and any snacks or drinks while you wait -- not to mention the 1900 baht extension fee, your wallet will be quite a bit emptier when you leave.

It was a long visit to the office. We arrived at 1:00 and were the first in after lunch. My wife bailed out around 4:15, but I was there until 5:30 getting it all wrapped up. It wasn't a pleasant afternoon, except for the result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The question is, will you need to show your bank-book again at the end of the "under consideration" period, even though you already proved 2-mo seasoning when you applied?   This is the new trick they are pulling in some offices.

Yes you are quite right and I issue a WARNING to those who may think that when they have completed the two applications for the spouse extension ( One for the local office and one for the Bangkok office)  they are done.....NOT SO!!!!!!!

At the end of the application interview I was told that I need to come back to Chonburri immigration for their decision in 21 days.

All finished I thought and so 3 days later I transferred the money from my sole account into a joint account at the same BKK bank  in Pattaya (bare in mind that I have three accounts, 2 joint and one sole at a Pattaya BKK branch) 

Three days before the 21 days were up I got a phone call from Pattaya immigration asking me to call in to their office in Soi 5  and take my bank book with me (Alarm bells are now ringing very loudly in my head)

I duly went to the interview and they looked at my sole  bank book noticing that the 400K had been transferred back to one of my other joint accounts and then informed me that they were refusing my application because they thought I had "borrowed" the money!

I showed them again the other bank books from the two other joint accounts, pointing out the in bank transfers all in my name or joint names, explained that the money was still there and If they wished I would do a online transfer sending the 400 K back to my sole account!

The Immigration Officer unsmiling and with a very bad attitude  was having none of this and told me to take it up with Bangkok office!

You have been warned!

I  have a question which has left me scratching my head for a long time ; Why do they insist on a sole bank account when the visa extension is for a marriage extension , surely if the marriage is genuine  wouldn't it  be normal to have a joint account and to some degree more proof of a genuine marriage?  

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 2

I also went to Nonthaburi IO yesterday to file for extension (marriage). I submitted the standard letter from Bangkok Bank which simply gives my details and the current balance of the account (charge = 100 baht), statement of account for the past six months clearly indicating which deposits came from abroad and which were internal (100 baht), and at the desk the agent did a complete copy of my bank book. After looking over these documents, he looked up and gave me the 'why don't you switch to a retirement visa instead?' pitch. I've had that for each of the three extensions I've done so far. I had done monthly transfers for only the past five months but that wasn't discussed. There was also no discussion about what will transpire in a month's time when I go back for the stamp.

What surprised me is how much of the process is being outsourced. I had forgotten to bring a photo, so I was sent to the shack next door to have one taken (100 baht). Then when all the documents had been assembled (incidentally, they don't stick to the old requirement that you should prepare two sets of docs), I was sent down to the shack again to have the stack photocopied (60 baht). When you add up the parking fee (20 baht) and any snacks or drinks while you wait -- not to mention the 1900 baht extension fee, your wallet will be quite a bit emptier when you leave.

It was a long visit to the office. We arrived at 1:00 and were the first in after lunch. My wife bailed out around 4:15, but I was there until 5:30 getting it all wrapped up. It wasn't a pleasant afternoon, except for the result.
They've been doing the one copy thing for a while now, they then make you copy everything after they stamp and you sign them. 20 baht for parking and fewore for copies isnt a deal breaker. I think I spent 1-2 hrs when we handed in our application, still not that bad, there was a lot of paperwork to go thru.

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

I have a question which has left me scratching my head for a long time ; Why do they insist on a sole bank account when the visa extension is for a marriage extension , surely if the marriage is genuine  wouldn't it  be normal to have a joint account and to some degree more proof of a genuine marriage?  

YES I agree as well, good thinking there....

glegolo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, n210mp said:

Yes you are quite right and I issue a WARNING to those who may think that when they have completed the two applications for the spouse extension ( One for the local office and one for the Bangkok office)  they are done.....NOT SO!!!!!!!

At the end of the application interview I was told that I need to come back to Chonburri immigration for their decision in 21 days.

All finished I thought and so 3 days later I transferred the money from my sole account into a joint account at the same BKK bank  in Pattaya (bare in mind that I have three accounts, 2 joint and one sole at a Pattaya BKK branch) 

Three days before the 21 days were up I got a phone call from Pattaya immigration asking me to call in to their office in Soi 5  and take my bank book with me (Alarm bells are now ringing very loudly in my head)

I duly went to the interview and they looked at my sole  bank book noticing that the 400K had been transferred back to one of my other joint accounts and then informed me that they were refusing my application because they thought I had "borrowed" the money!

Yes, as if they cared about loaned-money - when an agent-submitted application can have money borrowed for a couple hours w/o any issue at all!!  Just add 25K and all the problems magically go away.

I showed them again the other bank books from the two other joint accounts, pointing out the in bank transfers all in my name or joint names, explained that the money was still there and If they wished I would do a online transfer sending the 400 K back to my sole account!

The Immigration Officer unsmiling and with a very bad attitude  was having none of this and told me to take it up with Bangkok office!

You have been warned!

I have not heard of them sending bank-book copies to Bangkok at the end of the process - only asking to show them when picking up one's passport after the approval by the district-office is already complete. 

Did they provide contact-info for whom you needed to contact at the "Bangkok office"?  I would have gladly taken my case to another office when they denied me at that office due to insane landlord-doc requests (I complied, but they kept adding more with each visit, to ensure it was an impossible task).

This rule-breaking "after application" seasoning trick is just another way some immigration offices try to block processing marriage-based applications w/o an agent's brown-envelope.  They have made clear they want us to take our spouses/children and move to "our country" - taking our "traitor" families with us out of Thailand (unless you are willing to pay "tribute" for trespassing here).

The MFA has not adopted this attitude, so you can still get a Non-O-ME Visa in a few nearby consulates, thus avoiding dealing with the corrupt and farang-hating IOs in some immigration offices.  If choosing one's border-crossings wisely, you will encounter only law-abiding and professional Immigration personnel.

I  have a question which has left me scratching my head for a long time ; Why do they insist on a sole bank account when the visa extension is for a marriage extension , surely if the marriage is genuine  wouldn't it  be normal to have a joint account and to some degree more proof of a genuine marriage? 

At one time, it was insisted that the account be joint.  I don't know what the legitimate concern could possibly be with a joint-account.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, as if they cared about loaned-money - when an agent-submitted application can have money borrowed for a couple hours w/o any issue at all!!  Just add 25K and all the problems magically go away.

I have not heard of them sending bank-book copies to Bangkok at the end of the process - only asking to show them when picking up one's passport after the approval by the district-office is already complete. 

Did they provide contact-info for whom you needed to contact at the "Bangkok office"?  I would have gladly taken my case to another office when they denied me at that office due to insane landlord-doc requests (I complied, but they kept adding more with each visit, to ensure it was an impossible task).

This rule-breaking "after application" seasoning trick is just another way some immigration offices try to block processing marriage-based applications w/o an agent's brown-envelope.  They have made clear they want us to take our spouses/children and move to "our country" - taking our "traitor" families with us out of Thailand (unless you are willing to pay "tribute" for trespassing here).

The MFA has not adopted this attitude, so you can still get a Non-O-ME Visa in a few nearby consulates, thus avoiding dealing with the corrupt and farang-hating IOs in some immigration offices.  If choosing one's border-crossings wisely, you will encounter only law-abiding and professional Immigration personnel.

At one time, it was insisted that the account be joint.  I don't know what the legitimate concern could possibly be with a joint-account.

wow you sound really bitter Jack, what did they do to you at immigration to make you hate so much?

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

When have they ever insisted on it being a joint account? From 2006 to 2008 they allowed joint accounts when the wife's income could be used for the extension. Since 2008 joint accounts have not been allowed.

They reason for not accepting a joint account is that under the law 50% belongs to the wife. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When have they ever insisted on it being a joint account? From 2006 to 2008 they allowed joint accounts when the wife's income could be used for the extension. Since 2008 joint accounts have not been allowed.

They reason for not accepting a joint account is that under the law 50% belongs to the wife. 

strange rule that joint income can't be used to verify a joint marriage. oh well i guess they have their reasons.

i kind of like the sponser/spouse system used by most countries but i digress

• Like 1