Teacher considering moving to Hua HIn

username415

I am a Teacher from the USA, been living and teaching in Baan Krut (very nice, quiet, relatively clean, small town to the south of Prachuap province) for the last 8 years.  I am considering moving to Hua Hin to work at a better school so my young kids will have a higher quality school to attend when they are older.  

I would love anyone’s general thoughts, and especially any ideas about areas to look for a rental house.  I’d like to be outside the city in a quiet, clean area.  I don’t need any farang type stuff, normal Thai markets work for me.  In another thread I read someone mention that mangosteen had dropped to 65 baht which was the lowest it ever hits, down here a good deal is 3 kilos for a 100 baht, a market more like that would sound good.

thanks for any info

I know Ban Krut HH not so much as i live Prachuap

i am pretty sure HH will be more expensive although i am sure there are both cheap markets and houses somewhere.but probably in the suburbs not sure as that qualifies as outside the city, 

i assume as you lived in BK you have transport.

thanks for the response poohy

i’d love to live in Prachuap but its just too far to drive every day.  I do have transportation - motorbike and very old car, I prefer to use the motorbike for most things and save the car for taking the family further afield when needed.

and by outside the city i really mean that - suburbs or whatever, just not bustling, quiet, but within reasonable distance to commute to Somtawin school, 15 km east of HH city center.  Other than that the further the better.

Well you have been here long enough to realise best option is

You and family to HH for a few days 

drive around with the Mrs asking you should unearth something or a least an area of interest

I really hope job is worth moving from BK to HH!!

All the best

I didn’t mention it, but more than the quality of the new school (though it is nice) is that my current school is becoming unbearable due to a new school director.  So I may have no choice, sooner or later...  We love BK and don’t want to leave, but there’s only 1 school with the size to employ me at a rate we can live on, so if this goes then we’re up s*** creek.

we plan on coming up 3 days next week to do just that, I was just hoping for some advice pointing me where to focus our search. 

Aha !! good luck all is clear now

I had a similar problem in my only foray into teaching at an Agricultural university in Chumphon a good few years ago 

contract 2 years first year splendid then old director got replaced by an evil vindictive toad it sort of went wrong then????

RE HH i had friend he was not a part animal live south of Kao takiab area he liked it 

Pranburi is also nice countryside small town  but maybe too far out

If you are looking for cheaper rentals, and maybe less farangs you could try up the top of soi 102. Also not too far from Somtawin school. I live at the top of soi 88 and it is a little more westernised as regards housing. 

I live in Hua Hin since 17 years. The place has undergone a massive development. Many new hotels, many new condo facilities. New malls and supermarkets. The whole place meanders into the outskirts.  From one end to the other you can easily be on the road for 20-30 minutes. Traffic is worse at times. Inept bureaucrats. Still there are talad nats abound where the locals shop for fresh food. House rent should be around 10-15.000 Baht now. I live for 8.000 which still might be possible but it takes time to look around. Due to a lot new condo buildings, some brand new condos are quite affordable, start with 5000. People in Hua Hin are greedy, hard to find honesty. All in all I do not love nor hate the place. I find it easy to stay, don't need the beach and the sea. And can cope with the stingy/greedy folks. For any specific questions drop me a line...

Edited by nofarang
  • Like 1

Stay away from huahin. Been here 16 years. And with every year development  (new condos, houses, shopping malls, markets etc) it becomes more polluted, more traffic jam. Choose some place in kao Tao, or pranburi.

Not in huahin but near.

That’s exactly what I am thinking Stokakrishna.  I am not excited about the pollution/traffic etc. and would really prefer to stay where i live now but that looks like its not possible due to my changing work situation.  

The school is West of Hua Hin out past where the bypass (highway 37) hits 3218 - so Kao Tao seems quite far.  

What I am thinking now is out WEST on 3218 towards 3301 or down 3219/4030 towards Pranburi.  Sorry if this is not how people usually refer to the roads but I don’t know the area well.

I don’t want to live in an area that caters to westerners but in one that is mainly Thai.  I want a simple house (no air, no western kitchen, 1 or maybe 2 bedrooms, Thai style bathroom) and don’t care if I am the only farang for miles.  I will be with my family so am not looking for bars or action, just peace and quiet, clean air, no traffic.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, username415 said:

In another thread I read someone mention that mangosteen had dropped to 65 baht which was the lowest it ever hits,

Will the price of mangosteen be a factor in the location you choose to locate to, or is the education more important?  How much mangosteen can you eat?

Edited by grifbel
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, username415 said:

I can eat a shit ton of mangosteen, so its a toss up.  Though hopefully the education is good enough for my kids to parse out the general idea behind a specific fact which seems to elude you 

If you are the one educating, I am not optimistic.  After all, YOU are the one who conflated the price of mangosteen with educational requirements.  Maybe your school director has issues with your pretzel "logic"

• Sad 1

Geez, I guess I’ll spell it out for you - the price of mangosteen is representative of generally inflated prices, usually meant for farangs, and would indicate rents in that area would probably also be higher.  If you could read well you would have understand all that since I was asking about housing in that paragraph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, username415 said:

Geez, I guess I’ll spell it out for you - the price of mangosteen is representative of generally inflated prices, usually meant for farangs, and would indicate rents in that area would probably also be higher.  If you could read well you would have understand all that since I was asking about housing in that paragraph.

LOL, nice April fool's joke.  However, if you can prove a correlation between the price of mangosteen and local rents, you may be elgible for a nobel prize and PHD.  Here is the inflation cart for Thailand going back to the 1980s.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

So half the job is done,  Once you have collected your mangosteen and rental rate data for various locations, you can plot these on the chart and run a Monte carlo simulation to compute correlations.  You have a lot of homework here, so get to it.  We look forward to your findings.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:47 PM, poohy said:

Well you have been here long enough to realise best option is

You and family to HH for a few days 

drive around with the Mrs asking you should unearth something or a least an area of interest

I really hope job is worth moving from BK to HH!!

All the best

ban krut  hua hin is same as day and night oh my gosh never i would live in hua hin just have a look  the energy complex horrible. STAY BN KRUT BETTER d ont move   you may go to chiang rai  thats ok there

Lot of villages on Petkasem where it meets the 37 just north of Pranburi. Might be worth a look. No idea about rents but it's quiet enough, and plenty of cheap markets around, plus Makro and Tesco. 

Be a quick shoot up the 37 to get to Somtawin, probably around 20 mins or so. 

• 9 months later...

I live in petchburi province,near Hua Hin.I'm thai people.I recomended you move to this place.Hua Hin have more foreigner that you can't alone and several kinds of food ,fruit,dessert.People have good mind.Importanly King Rama9 have been alway stay here because this place have well climate,beutiful view,nice sea and many more.

I'm write English language not well,you can understand this post.Good luck.

Edited by pinkbird07
more some detail
  • Like 1