Money transfers

sotonowl

I'm currently mucking about with Transferwise. Not impressed. There is absolutely NO way to talk to a human, their help pages are anything BUT helpful, and there is a daily $5,000 US limit - but you have to find that out the hard way. As well, you can't transfer $5k today, then another $5k the next day. I'm not sure what they consider a full day. I imagine if you're transferring just once a month, it is easy and the least expensive. I'm trying to send the ฿800,000 before 17 April, and I don't see that happening. Heavy sigh, I have a friend who knows a friend who can get me sorted this year, then NEXT year my money will be well seasoned.

1 minute ago, quandow said:

I'm currently mucking about with Transferwise. Not impressed. There is absolutely NO way to talk to a human, their help pages are anything BUT helpful, and there is a daily $5,000 US limit - but you have to find that out the hard way. As well, you can't transfer $5k today, then another $5k the next day. I'm not sure what they consider a full day. I imagine if you're transferring just once a month, it is easy and the least expensive. I'm trying to send the ฿800,000 before 17 April, and I don't see that happening. Heavy sigh, I have a friend who knows a friend who can get me sorted this year, then NEXT year my money will be well seasoned.

Yes, I took a look and it restricts to 2,000,000 I think it was.

Update on my Transferwise experience - Here is an email I just received after setting up a transfer of $10,000 US:

"Your money's taking a little longer to get to us.

When you set up your transfer, we estimated that it would take 1 working day for your money to get to us. But this time, it’s taking a little longer to arrive.

Your money will now get to us in 3 working days. As soon as it gets here, we’ll convert it. Then we’ll send it out to your recipient.

You can track your transfer from your TransferWise account."

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, faraday said:

TransferWise

No I disagree. It's not as clear cut as that even though I am a fan and a regular user of T/W, there comes a point where using SWIFT to transfer a large sum via a bank is better value, simply because it is a fixed fee no matter what the sum is.

It's up to you O/P. Find out what your bank would charge for a SWIFT transfer and compare it with T/W's rates. It is very easy to establish which is the better value.

What you must take into account in your assessment is that with a SWIFT transfer you will get 'buy' rate of exchange as apposed to 'mid market' with T/W and that there may be a receiving fee by your Thai bank. You'll need to do a bit of math to establish which is the better deal.

Both are legal and both are reliable.

19 hours ago, quandow said:

Update on my Transferwise experience - Here is an email I just received after setting up a transfer of $10,000 US:

"Your money's taking a little longer to get to us.

When you set up your transfer, we estimated that it would take 1 working day for your money to get to us. But this time, it’s taking a little longer to arrive.

Your money will now get to us in 3 working days. As soon as it gets here, we’ll convert it. Then we’ll send it out to your recipient.

You can track your transfer from your TransferWise account."

So what's the problem? T/W cannot possibly control how long it takes for an inward transfer to make the transition can they?

At least they are up front with the information and in my experience they are usually quite conservative with their estimates of transit times.

Archived