Canadian Embassy income affidavit

On 3/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, whaleboneman said:

Hijacking the thread with fake news is not nice. 

Not true.  I just put the information up, as a warning as to what the government specified they were going to do or have been doing and I did state that no mention was made in the publication that Canadian Embassies were involved.  No further details were published and did not include anything about non-resident tax, withholding tax, or any other conditions, etc.  Where I live when in Toronto, there are people who left to go to their land of birth as it is cheaper to live there but they informed neither the government nor the landlord of their intention to live outside of Canada.  They have friends or members of their family do the income tax, annual rent review, etc., every year.  Some have returned since this policy was introduced, after being out of the country and have been detained at the airport because their ticket was obtained in their land of birth and was not a return ticket purchased when they left Canada.  Some have been prosecuted and now must return the CPP and OAS funds received from the appropriate date, six months after they left the country, and lost their apartments because of their lack of informing the landlord of their living overseas, but that is another story.

'nuf sed.

Further to my postings regarding the Canadian Government collecting exit data.  I just found the following item from the government but cannot find the information concerning their collecting such data for use against people abusing the system.  Please note the date published below.

Date modified: 2019-03-16

On Thursday, December 13, Bill C-21, An Act to amend the Customs Act, received Royal Assent giving authority to the CBSA to systematically collect exit biographic information from travellers who leave the country by land and air.

Entry/Exit Initiative

News release – Royal Assent of Bill C-21 strengthens border management

About this initiative

With the coming into force of Bill C-21, Canada now has the authority to collect basic biographic information on all Canadians who leave the country by land and by air. This information will be used to establish complete travel history information, comprised of both entry and exit records, for all travellers, and enable the CBSA and federal partners to strengthen the integrity of Canada's border, immigration, citizenship and social benefit programs, while respecting Canadians’ privacy and ensuring the effective protection of their personal information.

At land ports of entry, Canada will receive biographic information from the United States (U.S.) on all travellers who enter the U.S., thereby creating a Canadian exit record. In the air mode, Canada will collect exit information through electronic passenger manifests received directly from air carriers.

Biographic entry information (land mode)

Entry information includes biographic information such as: first name, middle name, last name, date of birth, nationality, sex, document type, document number, and name of the country that issued the travel document. In addition to the biographic information that Canada and the U.S. currently collect on travellers at ports of entry, the date and time of entry, as well as the port through which the traveller entered, will be exchanged as part of the Entry/Exit initiative.

Exit information

Exit information includes biographic elements such as: first name, middle name(s), last name, date of birth, citizenship or nationality, sex, travel document type, document number, and name of the country that issued the travel document. In addition, in the air mode the date, time, and location of departure as well as flight information will be collected from air carriers for passengers leaving Canada on outbound international flights. In the land mode, it includes the date and time of exit, as well as the port through which the traveller exited the country.

'nuf sed.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A Canadian friend? If so, this is not good news for me or other Canadians renewing at Jomtien.

No, him from Russia. Previously 2 years did extensions (affidavit) without any issues. And i guess nationality here does not matter.

Edited by Dmitry2222

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, wotsdermatter said:

Not true.  I just put the information up, as a warning as to what the government specified they were going to do or have been doing and I did state that no mention was made in the publication that Canadian Embassies were involved.  No further details were published and did not include anything about non-resident tax, withholding tax, or any other conditions, etc.  Where I live when in Toronto, there are people who left to go to their land of birth as it is cheaper to live there but they informed neither the government nor the landlord of their intention to live outside of Canada.  They have friends or members of their family do the income tax, annual rent review, etc., every year.  Some have returned since this policy was introduced, after being out of the country and have been detained at the airport because their ticket was obtained in their land of birth and was not a return ticket purchased when they left Canada.  Some have been prosecuted and now must return the CPP and OAS funds received from the appropriate date, six months after they left the country, and lost their apartments because of their lack of informing the landlord of their living overseas, but that is another story.

'nuf sed.

Yes they are scamming the system. I've been getting my CPP/OAS pensions here but upon hearing about the gov't recording our movements I decided to go non-resident. Yes I now pay the 25% withholding tax but later this rear I'll submit form NR5 and have my taxes reduced.  

Makes for a much better sleep.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Further to my postings regarding the Canadian Government collecting exit data.  I just found the following item from the government but cannot find the information concerning their collecting such data for use against people abusing the system.  Please note the date published below.

Date modified: 2019-03-16

On Thursday, December 13, Bill C-21, An Act to amend the Customs Act, received Royal Assent giving authority to the CBSA to systematically collect exit biographic information from travellers who leave the country by land and air.

Entry/Exit Initiative

News release – Royal Assent of Bill C-21 strengthens border management

About this initiative

With the coming into force of Bill C-21, Canada now has the authority to collect basic biographic information on all Canadians who leave the country by land and by air. This information will be used to establish complete travel history information, comprised of both entry and exit records, for all travellers, and enable the CBSA and federal partners to strengthen the integrity of Canada's border, immigration, citizenship and social benefit programs, while respecting Canadians’ privacy and ensuring the effective protection of their personal information.

At land ports of entry, Canada will receive biographic information from the United States (U.S.) on all travellers who enter the U.S., thereby creating a Canadian exit record. In the air mode, Canada will collect exit information through electronic passenger manifests received directly from air carriers.

Biographic entry information (land mode)

Entry information includes biographic information such as: first name, middle name, last name, date of birth, nationality, sex, document type, document number, and name of the country that issued the travel document. In addition to the biographic information that Canada and the U.S. currently collect on travellers at ports of entry, the date and time of entry, as well as the port through which the traveller entered, will be exchanged as part of the Entry/Exit initiative.

Exit information

Exit information includes biographic elements such as: first name, middle name(s), last name, date of birth, citizenship or nationality, sex, travel document type, document number, and name of the country that issued the travel document. In addition, in the air mode the date, time, and location of departure as well as flight information will be collected from air carriers for passengers leaving Canada on outbound international flights. In the land mode, it includes the date and time of exit, as well as the port through which the traveller exited the country.

'nuf sed.

They will have all the information they need .If you're collecting any Federal pensions they ( the gov't) will have access to your movements. It won't affect me now but a whole lot of snowbirds will be getting a rude awakening some day. That's the reason I opted for the non-resident status.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, kingstonkid said:

The reason they hold that money back is that each of us that live here but are paid by Canada is supposed to report our income and file a tax return here in Thailand.  The money goes to the Thai government through an agreement.

Just a hunch but I don't think there is an apparatus/facility to report any CDN income to the Thai authorities . They wouldn't know what to do if you showed up at some tax office and presented your CDN tax papers. They would probably laugh you out of the building. Plse I'm speaking as a retired individual and not a business.