Being Forced out?

rascalman

A large number of completely off topic posts have been removed.

This is the CAMBODIA SUB FORUM.

The topic is possible relocation to Cambodia - not Thai immigration law, working in Thailand, etc etc.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, jonwilly said:

As I understand matters, until 1955 Foreigners could own land. The Gov of the day changed the law because they were concerned about Chinese buying plots of land.

This was Chinese chased out of China by Mao.

The Thai government will change laws to suit Thailand and it's folk.

Much of the current problems come from Frangs finding ways to 'Cheat' the Thai Immigration Laws.

A respectable Visa agent in Chiang Mai told me that when the Immigration Police become familiar with the cheats and their methods, they get the rules changed. This was when we all had to be Photographed as part of the immigration procedure, he said some well off Frangs had been paying other folk go down and do the process for them.

I used to be able to spend all of my B800K the day after my Visa was issued, now I will have to leave first B800K for 3 months, then B400K for rest of year.

On one occasion it was convenient to use a large chunk of the B800K, now due to some people not playing the game, no longer possible.

Thailand is far from perfect but where is. ?

I know at least one old friend, married long term who I doubt will be able to meet the new requirements, legally married with children and nice house he paid for, Tragic.

Just what will happen when the 'Proposals' on Medical Insurance, become law I do not know but as one old nacker who has self insured for the last 18 years I think my bag packing time will have come.

Pity I Luv Thailand and have many long term Thai friends.

john

Thanks John , just one question on the " money in the bank scenario " .

800k baht 2 months before and 3 months after = 5 months and then again before the next renewal for 2 months = 7 months of the year for 800k baht ? Other 5 months @ 400k ?

Not trying to be pedantic but a careful eye on the accounts to ensure they do not drop below the 8oo or 400k levels as there would be a disqualification ? Have an account for these monies only , so as not drop below what is required  by accident . Be aware of small bank charges that could also do the same . I have been doing the 800k and my renewal is in May but I will not use this method again . I still have a house in the UK and I shall visit it once a year and when there apply for a non "o" visa multi entry . No proof of income needed as I receive the UK state pension . Alternatively I may apply for the non " o/a " visa where proof of income is required but not in a Thai bank , UK bank is OK and that visa can give 2 years . When the 90 day reporting comes round that is time to fly out of Thailand for a short break on my own and a bit of fun . Have a friend who does this and looks forward for the 90 days reporting , one mans meat , one mans poison .

On 4/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, Jim7777 said:

All my bills combined here in Thailand including rent are less than $600 US dollars a month and we live in a big house which is pretty modern and we live very comfortably and we have American cable TV through AIS with great iPhone service and everything here is really cheap.  If you live modestly your bills here would be a lot less than mine and my bills aren’t much even as comfortably as we live.  You have to ask yourself can you afford to retire?  You said something about being an “old NCO” are you retired military?  Because if you’re receiving any types of pensions 800K is not the only option, if you are on a retirement extension you have to at least make 65K Baht a month and 40K Baht a month for a marriage visa extension.  I don’t know what your financial situation is but if you make less than their minimum required monthly income then it’s kind of on you, just because you were writing in whatever income amount you wanted on the Embassy income affidavits for years doesn’t make it right just because they closed that loop hole and did away with income affidavits.  That’s actually why they made the changes but the specific income requirements are actually still the same as they have always been.  

Although I do think immigration should lower the income requirement at least a little bit for people like you who make enough money to live here but maybe not as much as what immigration requires but unfortunately that’s not up to me.  That’s why you have to at least know what their basic immigration rules are for everything especially financial requirements before deciding to retire here.  Good luck.  

A succinct post very much correct.

22 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Two factors answer your question.

1.     Using dollars clearly implies he's from the USA.

2.     He's indicated he's considering a relocation to Cambodia.       Cambodia uses the reil as well as USD.

And he was an NCO so suggests some time in the millitary so does the OP also have a military pension as well?

Please I do not deserve any personal negative posts. I do have  a retirement, social security and  disabity income. I just do not or will not have that kind of money in any bank. 

As stated I am very sick and just want to finish my life here in peace. Immigration here are unreasonable IMHO. 

Moving will be so hard on me financially and physically too. I now have a rare skin disease that has piled on me. I want to die here. 

I value constructive comments if you can? 

More off topic posts removed.

There are innumerable threads in the Thai visa forum running on visa requirements. And OP has pisted in some of them.

Please pist issues related to Thai visa requirements there.

This is the Cambodia forum. Thread is about details, pros and cons of relocation to Cambodia.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Superal

Thank for for the adult comment. 

In my case I have more than enough.

There was an matter some years ago when I did have to drop below the 3 month requirement but I was back in the money when I needed to be.

No matter what we Frangs think, our Thai hosts will make the rules to suit their wants and needs.

I do think that the system must have an idea of just how many retirees they have and a good idea of how much is brought into the country, by us, in terms of 'Free' foreign exchange.

Many a country would 'Kill' to have a consistent inflow of foreign exchange, which I will suggest helps Thailand maintain a strong Baht.

I remember getting B85 to the £ one festive season late 90's, can't forget it as it was the year I divorce my Thai wife.

I came to live here when baht was 75 to £ and watched the baht strengthen yearly.

Thailand and Thai people have been good to me and like many I would like to know just what the future holds.

john 

• Thanks 1

Give up Sheryl

ur fighting a battle you cant win  ????

Another thumbs down for SNV

For weeks, garbage has been piling up in Sihanoukville (Preah Sihanouk), the capital of the south-western province of Preah Sihanouk, with residents and civil society groups complaining about the foul odour.

Faced with the waste emergency, the authorities have blamed the rapid development of the coastal region and residents’ lack of awareness of waste disposal procedures.

http://asianews.it/news-en/Waste-piling-up-in-Sihanoukville-46679.html

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Superal

Thank for for the adult comment. 

In my case I have more than enough.

There was an matter some years ago when I did have to drop below the 3 month requirement but I was back in the money when I needed to be.

No matter what we Frangs think, our Thai hosts will make the rules to suit their wants and needs.

I do think that the system must have an idea of just how many retirees they have and a good idea of how much is brought into the country, by us, in terms of 'Free' foreign exchange.

Many a country would 'Kill' to have a consistent inflow of foreign exchange, which I will suggest helps Thailand maintain a strong Baht.

I remember getting B85 to the £ one festive season late 90's, can't forget it as it was the year I divorce my Thai wife.

I came to live here when baht was 75 to £ and watched the baht strengthen yearly.

Thailand and Thai people have been good to me and like many I would like to know just what the future holds.

john 

I wish you well and good luck with what tomorrow brings and also to other long term retirees

22 hours ago, rascalman said:

constructive comments if you can? 

Marry your girl and go to Lao and get a Marriage Visa with no proof of funds needed. With all the Visa changes, nothing is certain these days but this is one way you could stay as long as your marriage was genuine.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, Sheryl said:

More off topic posts removed.

There are innumerable threads in the Thai visa forum running on visa requirements. And OP has pisted in some of them.

Please pist issues related to Thai visa requirements there.

This is the Cambodia forum. Thread is about details, pros and cons of relocation to Cambodia.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah, we understand that, and thanks for the 2nd reminder, but the OP started off talking about Thailand and being "forced out" - so IMO you WILL have comments about that fact, i.e. why being forced? Dor Mor? Money? Whatever.. But w-t-f do I know in this geezer lounge? Stickman warned me about it, hahaha! Sorry for pisting off topic here... ????

Edited by wilailuk
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, rascalman said:

Please I do not deserve any personal negative posts. I do have  a retirement, social security and  disabity income. I just do not or will not have that kind of money in any bank. 

As stated I am very sick and just want to finish my life here in peace. Immigration here are unreasonable IMHO. 

Moving will be so hard on me financially and physically too. I now have a rare skin disease that has piled on me. I want to die here. 

I value constructive comments if you can? 

Sorry to hear, it´s really sad, but what do you expect Thailand to do about it? Money is King here..

I remember one long day at Dor Mor, CW, an old American gentleman was walking around giving kanom to the staff, he was very sick, he´d  p!ssed in his pants, and everyone felt sorry for him, but he got his extension, crabbed out the office, and went somewhere, probably a 2.000 B room in Min Buri or something similar. I´ve seen too many of these guys in Bangkok during the years I stayed there... He should have left this crazy country years ago, it´s no good country for old, sick and poor men, no Sir..

On 4/2/2019 at 9:30 AM, mike787 said:

Thailand has become the xenophobic country that surprised me. Thanks for nothing.  So much for good guys in, bad guys out.  Here goes another good guy out.

[Did other xenophobic countries not surprise you.]

Thailand is not xenophobic. No way. What a joke.
Xenophobic is when mobs burn shops of Pakistanis and other migrants (in Thailand the equivalent would be Laos people and Burmese people.)

• Like 1

To be treated fairly, honestly. But immigration ard far from being fair. It is about money. Corruption is a word that feels correct. Came here when I was 20 during the war. Now I am old just want to be left alone. I want my books, music and easy chair. I do know the Thai people. I have Lived, worked around them. They work hard and some are good for some are not. Sound like your country? 

Peace! 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 8:13 AM, Thaidream said:

Simple answer.  We do not want to take our savings which we have worked for decades to accumulate or our retired income and place it in a bank in a country that has a lack of complete deposit insurance; a country in which bank personnel  raid accounts and steal money; and a banking system that on the surface seems secure but is not.

You want to learn about banks in Thailand Google the name Rakesh Saxena and Bangkok Bank of Commerce or Finance One.

I'm not disputing what you say, but when you start talking about the Thai banking system being more vulnerable than others, say perhaps the US banking system, perhaps a short memory is involved here. Have we really forgotten the $700 billion in bailout funds provided to the US banks in 2008 after they completely abused the system to run up unprecedented profits until the hedge fund scheme based on bad mortgages blew up in their face? Or do you remember the name, Bernie Madoff? And lets not forget that all those bank CEO's still got their multi-million dollar annual bonuses for the stellar job they did almost ruining the US economy. I guess the biggest difference between the Thai banking system and other ones is the perceived ability or lack of it to bail out the banks when they abuse the laws and regulations, 

Edited by Inn Between

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 5:28 PM, spidermike007 said:

I plan to stay. But you are right. They despise us and are racist and xenophobic for sure. 

The only way these immigration and administration fools will be influenced is if these Thai women organize and petition the government in a massive way, and it gets international attention, causing great embarrassment and humiliation. Then, maybe.

Otherwise they simply do not care. Their apathy toward the lower class and the lower middle class here is astonishing, pathetic and evidence of why they are in power to begin with. It is most certainly not to insure that the masses are comfortable and secure. It is to insure the super wealthy, elite, the cops and the people in power are well taken care of, and protected. 

It has nothing to do with us, or our wives. We do not count on any level, for the nimwits in charge. 

Where do you get this stuff? I have never felt like Thais hate foreigners (or farang). That is a bunch of pure nonsense only jaded expats who have sat on their bar stools too long say.

I'm not sure about the bureaucracy or the elite power structure, but at the local, everyday level Thais have no problem with foreigners. In fact, Thais working in the tourism industry or who are otherwise dependent on foreigners would lose a lot if there were fewer of us here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drbeach said:

Where do you get this stuff? I have never felt like Thais hate foreigners (or farang). That is a bunch of pure nonsense only jaded expats who have sat on their bar stools too long say.

I'm not sure about the bureaucracy or the elite power structure, but at the local, everyday level Thais have no problem with foreigners. In fact, Thais working in the tourism industry or who are otherwise dependent on foreigners would lose a lot if there were fewer of us here.

I have often said I love the average Thai, and in general I think most Thais like us. You paraphrased me. It is the government, and the army that is very racist, and extremely xenophobic. Ask anyone who deals with them regularly, if that has not been your experience. Also, take a look at the constant changing of the goalposts. A good friend of mine just went to renew his retirement visa, which is historically probably the easiest category. He was told the laws changed last month, and now much documentation is required from his bank, using the income method, and it costs 6,200 baht, from the bank! Dozens of guys who have lived here for years and had all their paperwork in order, were being turned away. It is non-stop. Getting harder all the time.

I totally agree that many Thais benefit from the ex-pat community, something the army either has no awareness of, or they just do not care. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1