Being Forced out?

rascalman

2 hours ago, connda said:

continue to live a good, comfortable life after I'm gone to the great beyond.  She already has the house, land, assets to keep her comfortable, and when she passes on it goes to my step son

you talk this way it makes me sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, baansgr said:

But the tourist visa is easier and is being extended till june for free...whats been made harder is for retirees on extensions.

what has been made harder ?  ....   show income ? 800k ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what has been made harder ?  ....   show income ? 800k ?

Having to leave said funds on deposit for longer and no access to half of them, plus no ince.letters for those that have genuime income, thats whats harder for many

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Is that how you want to spend your life, lazing by a pool and drinking all day?

What about when, not if, your liver gets shot? I understand medical care in Cambodia is limited.

Medical care is poor. That's why tourists get evacuated for treatment in Thailand.

Bangkok Hospital may be involved in the big private hospital in Siem Reap. Doctors are mainly Cambodian and good at making money from you.

We once lived in Siem Reap.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Simple answer.  We do not want to take our savings which we have worked for decades to accumulate or our retired income and place it in a bank in a country that has a lack of complete deposit insurance; a country in which bank personnel  raid accounts and steal money; and a banking system that on the surface seems secure but is not.

You want to learn about banks in Thailand Google the name Rakesh Saxena and Bangkok Bank of Commerce or Finance One.

No one has any  angst against showing real documentation that one meets the requirements of 800K or 65K per month. Most of us have it.  I can show my Social Security Statement and  Military  VA pension and back it up  with  an extract of my US Bank Account which shows the exact amount deposited  each month and even the ATM receipts.  I don't need or want a Thai Bank Account nor does anyone else- this is the 21st Century.

As far as the 800K or 400K  - one should be able to show the amount  in their foreign bank account OR Thai Bank Account. The rules should say prove the income or deposits - in today's  digital community- I can get 100K each day from my bank in the US if I need it.

As far as the marriage extension- when one marries and brings their Thai wife to America (which I did previously) the process was to file an affidavit of support and prove one has the equivalent of $24,000 either in a bank (anywhere); a job with a verified income stream plus assets such as a house or other all adding up to the needed amount.  One entering the US my wife gets full rights and access to everything I can get.

In Thailand, if I extend my stay under marriage- my wifes income doesn't count; the millions invested in cars and a home asset doesn't count. I get no rights that a Thai citizen gets and I have to pay inflated prices for medical care and other  things.

This is hardly reciprocity or fair treatment.  We are not asking for anything extra that our own country does not provide for a Thai spouse or even anyone emigrating to our home country.

I enjoy Thailand and I have no issues with the Thai people but I am very disappointed  that the Thai Government cannot see the difference between law abiding  retirees and/or  married people who never break the law and  criminals who enter on visa exempt or tourist visa and set up sham businesses; scams etc all with the help of -local people .

While I will abide by the regulations- I will not place  800K in a Tha bank- I will transfer 65K in each month and  live with the aggravation until more reasonable minds  see the folly of what is currently being done.

The UK Government have very similar rules to the USA as far as foreign spouses are concerned and the same rules apply to male or female foreign spouses. I can perhaps understand the reason for rules for retirees in Thailand but those of us who are married to a Thai citizen are treated almost the same as retirees. My wife is considerably wealthy but none of her wealth is taken into account as far as my status is concerned. I have enough finances to comply with current rules when I retire next year but It all just makes me feel like an unwanted farang

3 hours ago, gamini said:

Nobody is pushing foreigners out. It's just that Thailand is now trying to get it's immigration more in line with other countries. The problem is that Thailand has been for many years one of the easiest places in the world to retire. .

I don't think any country wants to have a lot of retirees with little money and not paying tax.

Also, most countries do not allow tourists to stay for more than six months.

Your claims do not make any sense at all, because in both Chiangmai and Hua Hin. More and more expatriates are coming to retire there. So much so that the immigration department. In both places have to keep moving to larger premises. 

Foreigners have abused the Thai immigration system. So much so that they are tightening the regulations. 

They welcome genuine tourists and genuine retirees. I don't know where you live or who you associate with. But I find Thailand a wonderful place with lovely, friendly people. I made the proper decisions to have enough money to retire here as I would in any other country.

Excellent post.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Letseng said:

What has become harder? You still need to show the same amount as before either monthly or as a lump sum. Harder is that you now need to proof you really own the money you claim to have. 

This is the result of fiddling the books in the past which many have done.

It was a matter of time until Immigration would close a loophole.

What did you expect would eventually happen?

See post #44.

5 hours ago, mike787 said:

Thailand has become the xenophobic country that surprised me. Thanks for nothing.  So much for good guys in, bad guys out.  Here goes another good guy out.

okay, I am confused.  For all those of you that are married and supporting a Thai wife and family why have you not applied for residency?

57 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Having to leave said funds on deposit for longer and no access to half of them, plus no ince.letters for those that have genuime income, thats whats harder for many

If you have income, bring the 65thou every months. No need for a letter from an embassy or for parking a lump sum. But of course in the past some embassies issued a letter in good faith and not on proof. 

48 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Simple answer.  We do not want to take our savings which we have worked for decades to accumulate or our retired income and place it in a bank in a country that has a lack of complete deposit insurance; a country in which bank personnel  raid accounts and steal money; and a banking system that on the surface seems secure but is not.

You want to learn about banks in Thailand Google the name Rakesh Saxena and Bangkok Bank of Commerce or Finance One.

No one has any  angst against showing real documentation that one meets the requirements of 800K or 65K per month. Most of us have it.  I can show my Social Security Statement and  Military  VA pension and back it up  with  an extract of my US Bank Account which shows the exact amount deposited  each month and even the ATM receipts.  I don't need or want a Thai Bank Account nor does anyone else- this is the 21st Century.

As far as the 800K or 400K  - one should be able to show the amount  in their foreign bank account OR Thai Bank Account. The rules should say prove the income or deposits - in today's  digital community- I can get 100K each day from my bank in the US if I need it.

As far as the marriage extension- when one marries and brings their Thai wife to America (which I did previously) the process was to file an affidavit of support and prove one has the equivalent of $24,000 either in a bank (anywhere); a job with a verified income stream plus assets such as a house or other all adding up to the needed amount.  One entering the US my wife gets full rights and access to everything I can get.

In Thailand, if I extend my stay under marriage- my wifes income doesn't count; the millions invested in cars and a home asset doesn't count. I get no rights that a Thai citizen gets and I have to pay inflated prices for medical care and other  things.

This is hardly reciprocity or fair treatment.  We are not asking for anything extra that our own country does not provide for a Thai spouse or even anyone emigrating to our home country.

I enjoy Thailand and I have no issues with the Thai people but I am very disappointed  that the Thai Government cannot see the difference between law abiding  retirees and/or  married people who never break the law and  criminals who enter on visa exempt or tourist visa and set up sham businesses; scams etc all with the help of -local people .

While I will abide by the regulations- I will not place  800K in a Tha bank- I will transfer 65K in each month and  live with the aggravation until more reasonable minds  see the folly of what is currently being done.

I have plenty of money, but leaving 800K in a Thai bank for a visa constitutes a terrible investment and risk I am unwilling to take and unnecessary.  What purpose does it it serve to deposit that; who benefits from it, and WHY?  Have you considered to ask BJ or the Thai whoever.  What is the justification? Don't tell me its a rule/law.  I WANT/we rational. Why isn't it 1 Mil, 2 mil, or conversly 50,000, or nothing like many other countries, ie, Canada, USA, Vietnam, etc?  THINK man? THINK?

• Like 2

Unless I'm mistaken the U.S. Government is the party that ended our income letters, not the Thai Government.  As far as being financially able to stay, nothing has changed in the 13 years I've been here.  Costs of everything seem to be about the same and the requirements are exactly the same except for the income letters.  I'm not real fond of having to park $25K in a bank here for eternity but it beats what I'd be shelling out in the States for insurance, taxes, utilities etc.  

• Like 2

Thailand's visa rules are much the same as most other countries. In fact, many other countries are far worse/more difficult. I would say that the easiest route is 800k in the bank for your extension of stay. If you don't/can't do that perhaps better not to remain here.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

Nobody is pushing foreigners out. It's just that Thailand is now trying to get it's immigration more in line with other countries. The problem is that Thailand has been for many years one of the easiest places in the world to retire. .

I don't think any country wants to have a lot of retirees with little money and not paying tax.

Also, most countries do not allow tourists to stay for more than six months.

Your claims do not make any sense at all, because in both Chiangmai and Hua Hin. More and more expatriates are coming to retire there. So much so that the immigration department. In both places have to keep moving to larger premises. 

Foreigners have abused the Thai immigration system. So much so that they are tightening the regulations. 

They welcome genuine tourists and genuine retirees. I don't know where you live or who you associate with. But I find Thailand a wonderful place with lovely, friendly people. I made the proper decisions to have enough money to retire here as I would in any other country.

Excellent post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I think they will.  The smart money is betting soon you will have to come up with 83K per month. 

Also the reason is not the Falang it is other groups of people they are trying to keep out. 

21 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

okay, I am confused.  For all those of you that are married and supporting a Thai wife and family why have you not applied for residency?

Because a requirement is at least three continual years of a wp with tax payments, i worked here twelve years but didnt qualify as I changed companies not having a full period to show. Straight forward but not easy for most.

• Like 2