Being Forced out?

rascalman

Just wondering, if you have lived here a "long time"...why are your figures in Dollars...do you not think we all have to adapt to our new country at sometime. This is an "International" community of ex-pats?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

All my bills combined here in Thailand including rent are less than $600 US dollars a month and we live in a big house which is pretty modern and we live very comfortably and we have American cable TV through AIS with great iPhone service and everything here is really cheap.  If you live modestly your bills here would be a lot less than mine and my bills aren’t much even as comfortably as we live.  You have to ask yourself can you afford to retire?  You said something about being an “old NCO” are you retired military?  Because if you’re receiving any types of pensions 800K is not the only option, if you are on a retirement extension you have to at least make 65K Baht a month and 40K Baht a month for a marriage visa extension.  I don’t know what your financial situation is but if you make less than their minimum required monthly income then it’s kind of on you, just because you were writing in whatever income amount you wanted on the Embassy income affidavits for years doesn’t make it right just because they closed that loop hole and did away with income affidavits.  That’s actually why they made the changes but the specific income requirements are actually still the same as they have always been.  

Although I do think immigration should lower the income requirement at least a little bit for people like you who make enough money to live here but maybe not as much as what immigration requires but unfortunately that’s not up to me.  That’s why you have to at least know what their basic immigration rules are for everything especially financial requirements before deciding to retire here.  Good luck.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, BritManToo said:

I like Siam Reap too, one pal who was driven out of Chiang Mai decided on Phnom Penh for some reason.

If you're visiting Siam Reap may I suggest Garden Village Guesthouse and pool bar.

Decant double rooms with air-con for $12/night (through Booking.com) and a nice swimming pool to sit by where they serve beer at 50c/pint all day.

Bit backpackery, but no need to interact with the youngsters if you don't want.

My two pals all booked posher (and more expensive hotels) then spent all day sitting and drinking by the pool with me.

Is that how you want to spend your life, lazing by a pool and drinking all day?

What about when, not if, your liver gets shot? I understand medical care in Cambodia is limited.

• Like 2