Bangkok Bank required documents: "A reference letter issued by... An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT"

Bangkok Bank - "Required Documents for opening an account"

"2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank."

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

A poster here wrote she had used a SWIFT letter to get approved.

Unfortunately I didn't save the post although I'd intended to (or I can't locate it now).

A few days ago I spoke to the manager of a regional bank I use in the US.

She had never heard of sending a letter via SWIFT.

SWIFT is for moving funds in/out of a country.

Can that poster or anyone else tells me how this works.

Also - the only other option which sounds possible for me is:

"Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank"

I assume that this is poorly written or translated and means "any person with permanent residence in Thailand".

Is this correct?

I'm unclear as to what they mean by "permanent residence".

Number of consecutive years the person has lived in Thailand under a Marriage or Retirement annual extension?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Bangkok Bank - "Required Documents for opening an account"

"2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank."

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

A poster here wrote she had used a SWIFT letter to get approved.

Unfortunately I didn't save the post although I'd intended to (or I can't locate it now).

A few days ago I spoke to the manager of a regional bank I use in the US.

She had never heard of sending a letter via SWIFT.

SWIFT is for moving funds in/out of a country.

Can that poster or anyone else tells me how this works.

Also - the only other option which sounds possible for me is:

"Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank"

I assume that this is poorly written or translated and means "any person with permanent residence in Thailand".

Is this correct?

I'm unclear as to what they mean by "permanent residence".

Number of consecutive years the person has lived in Thailand under a Marriage or Retirement annual extension?

Hi JimmyJ, to say that the SWIFT network is solely used for the purpose of moving funds in and out of a country is largely inaccurate and vague. it would be either out of lack of knowledge or experience for the manager of your regional bank to make such a statement and I'm speaking from personal experiences handling consumer and institutional SWIFT transactions for the past 8 years.

in fact, the SWIFT network was never intended nor served as a payment facilitator as you were told. SWIFT is just a very secured channel for financial institutions to exchange financial messages and instructions. For the case of a fund transfer, the payment instructions of a bank's client is submitted via SWIFT to the receiving bank or its assigned agent/corresponding banks/accounts to accept/receive/verifiy/perform settlement and eventually credit into the player's account. And similarly, in cases where the sender realised a mistake in the payee's details and wish to make and amendment, or should the receiving agent bank request additional information to verify/complete the transaction, such additional financial instructions will be effected by via messages sent using SWIFT. there are further message codes that are used when sending such messages that usually starts with "MT" followed by a 3 digit code behind, in which the most common would probably be MT103.

I know most of what I've mentioned in my wall of text would be irrelevant to your subject, but you may wish to use it to further discuss with your regional bank to see how they may assign someone with more experience to explore the possibility of sending a SWIFT message to help you with the opening of a bank account with BBL. I can foresee a bigger difficulty convincing BBL to open an account for you using option 2, and I am inclined to believe that they would most probably inform you that you would need to approach your embassy/consulate to obtain a letter to certify a true copy of your current passport and Thai residence address regardless.

good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Although you will have to pay for it believe the most common is going to your embassy and having an affidavit issued containing your passport information and home address here and abroad.  That should cover normal required information.  

• Like 1

I have used a simple letter written by a family member that happens to be a respected Professor at a large University when opening and account at BBL. My daughter (she is Thai) provided the reference when I opened an account at KBank. It helps if the person has an account at the same bank.

• Like 1