Aircon using too much electric?

cyril sneer

21 hours ago, meatpie said:

Old, ive got an Amercan Made one 27 yers old run every day thats outlived 5 Thai brands.Serviced by hours run , superb machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Is that a Carrier Air Con unit, got a mate in Oz, been in refridg game 50 years, swears by them.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 9:54 PM, cyril sneer said:

The date says 2007 so old yes, it’s a Fujitsu

If the unit is getting low on refrigerant gas, the compressor might be running continuously attempting to bring the temp down to yr preffered setting, try a little higher setting and check if the compressor cuts out. 

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Cyril Sneer, you need to take heed of the above poster. Any gentleman with the name Faraday is more than qualified to discuss the ethics of electrickery ????

Used to work in a Faraday Cage.

Jing Jing.

????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dazinoz said:
11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

$50 for a capacitor??? That sounds as if you were charged at least triple the real cost.

Australia not Thailand.

It doesn't matter which country you are talking about it was still way over priced. FWIW I doubt that Thai prices are very much lower than overseas for items like capacitors. 

If you look for a capacitor with the correct specifications from an electronics supplier it is not going to be that much.

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It doesn't matter which country you are talking about it was still way over priced. FWIW I doubt that Thai prices are very much lower than overseas for items like capacitors. 

If you look for a capacitor with the correct specifications from an electronics supplier it is not going to be that much.

That happened about 6 years ago and looking back I did not lose any sleep over so I guess I am not too worried. Plus person who owned AC was quoted over $2000 for a new inverter  installed so he was VERY happy with $50.

As it was 6 years ago could have been $5 just $50 came to mind. But as I said I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Edited by Dazinoz

The power where I live is very unstable and I wouldn't buy any inverter unit of any kind.  It seems that the control boards are very susceptible to unstable power and the techs will only troubleshoot to the board level and they are very expensive.  Just ask Crossy about his washing machine!
Thanks for this, good to know as I will be replacing my a/cs in a year or two and was wondering about inverter pros & cons.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for this, good to know as I will be replacing my a/cs in a year or two and was wondering about inverter pros & cons.

Cons of inverters:-

Cost more initially.

A LOT of electronics in them. Prone to power surges and wildlife, ghekos, etc (although sealing of the electronics is getting better).

If they fail they are expensive to repair.

Because of the amount of electronics also prone to heat so if outdoor unit (where most electronics are) gets too hot they de-rate themselves to protect their electronics.

Really only effective if sized bigger than what area needs.

Pros:-

If sized correctly cheaper to run.

Generally quieter running.

Keeps a more constant temp as compressor speeds up and slows down instead of cutting in and out. Thus comfort levels are better.

Can actually boost cooling for a short time but extra output.

Obviously this is not a full list and others might be able to add to pros and cons.

The biggest disadvantage is repair costs if needed. Electricity spikes can be a big killer of electronics.

• Like 1

Cons of inverters:-

Cost more initially.
A LOT of electronics in them. Prone to power surges and wildlife, ghekos, etc (although sealing of the electronics is getting better).
If they fail they are expensive to repair.
Because of the amount of electronics also prone to heat so if outdoor unit (where most electronics are) gets too hot they de-rate themselves to protect their electronics.

Pros:-

If sized correctly cheaper to run.
Generally quieter running.
Keeps a more constant temp as compressor speeds up and slows down instead of cutting in and out. Thus comfort levels are better.
Can actually boost cooling for a short time but extra output.

Obviously this is not a full list and others might be able to add to pros and cons.

The biggest disadvantage is repair costs if needed. Electricity spikes can be a big killer of electronics.
Thanks.

Given where I live -- last village in ampur piwer grid, lits of surges and dips in voltage, very rural with abundant wildlife, geckos/snakes etc often get into the unit....seems clear I am best off without inverter.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, Dazinoz said:

Never got such problems, and never even heard about them! :mellow:

I have one of smaller Inverter Aircon (9000 BTU, Samsung, 12'000B). No problem, low consumption, no noise.

I had similar aircons during 10 years on my previous condo. Very happy. Don't know about repair cost; they never failed.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:59 AM, Dazinoz said:

That happened about 6 years ago and looking back I did not lose any sleep over so I guess I am not too worried. Plus person who owned AC was quoted over $2000 for a new inverter  installed so he was VERY happy with $50.

As it was 6 years ago could have been $5 just $50 came to mind. But as I said I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Units are purchased at reduced or exempt duties as they're assembled in Thailand. Spares carry the full duties. Was charged 800 THB for a Mitsubishi condenser alone 5years ago.

No idea what that relates to in antipodean currency at that time. 

2 hours ago, alacrity said:

Units are purchased at reduced or exempt duties as they're assembled in Thailand. Spares carry the full duties. Was charged 800 THB for a Mitsubishi condenser alone 5years ago.

No idea what that relates to in antipodean currency at that time. 

About AU$ 28

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, Thainesss said:

So its to save money then? Thats all im asking. I prefer warm weather as well, but not in my living room. 

For sure it's to save money. When electricity is included (hotel room), the 28 degree people suddenly become 22-23 degree people. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:55 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

About AU$ 28

But the labor is cheaper here. Only happened once and didn't get my hands dirty or sweaty. It was a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Good of you to take the time to research the exchange rate legacy.