Netflix Thailand

AAArdvark

I am using AIS with Ais-Play.  There is an app installed on the AIS-Play box for Netflix.  I would need a paid account for Netflix to work.  Can I assume that the Netflix that I would get would be the Thai limited content version?  If so, is the Thai version of Netflix worth the money?  A VPN will not work for me since the app is installed on the AIS-Play box which does not allow me to add apps life a VPN.  The supplied AIS router does not support running a VPN on the router itself.

My fallback would be to use a separate android box (if I can ever get a replacement remote).

I've been using Netflix for several years now, including when in Thailand. It has been very useful, however there are some issues. As mentioned some content is not available in Thailand, but most is. I found Malaysia was far, far worse, loads of content was blocked. You can't get around it, even with a good paid-for VPN service, or at least I couldn't, they seem to know if you are on a VPN (I tried with nordvpn and tunnel bear to no avail), but you probably know more about this kind of thing than I do so YMMV.

My main gripe with Netflix, is that they very rarely get the triple-A Hollywood movies, but it seems to be packed with bargain-bin type movies you see at 7-11 for 99 baht. Combine that with the Netflix-produced specials, which are notoriously bad, then you quickly run out of content to watch unless you just want to watch box-sets like The Big Bang Theory, all of the Star Trek series, Black Mirror (one of Netflix's highlights), etc.

Amazon Prime is better, but again, a lot of the top movies are only watchable with a surcharge which kind of defeats the point.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

I have a Thai Netflix account here in LOS for at least 2 years now. I am totally satisfied with the content of movies and TV shows. I have a VPN and can use a US connection but I have never really used it as I am much happier with the local speed and picture quality. In 2 years I may have watched 5 movies or shows via the VPN to the US. I really see no need.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Yes, you can only get Netflix Thailand content. Netflix Thailand's monthly fee costs the same as the US, so paying the same for less content isn't a bargain. Netflix content from the US servers can be streamed via the internet if you have a reliable VPN or Proxy that can bypass Netflix's geographically detection blocky software.  I have a US account and stream Netflix US content through my laptop by HDMI to view on my TV using a Proxy which also gives me access to US TV, AUS TV, BBC I-Player, VUDU and other geographically or regional restricted content.  You could do the same.

Being IT illiterate, I understand very little of this ☹️.

Having recently bought Netflix and a VPN - how do I know whether I'm only getting Netflix Thailand content?

The films/series I've watched on Netflix don't block out cigarettes/weapons etc. etc. as per normal Thai TV - is this an indication that it's not restricted to Thailand content?

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Having recently bought Netflix and a VPN - how do I know whether I'm only getting Netflix Thailand content?

Google and see what shows play in your home country but not in thailand. Check with VPN on and VPN off. 

I typically watch US netflix and "The Walking Dead" is what I look for, among others, to make sure im on US Netflix. 

15 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The films/series I've watched on Netflix don't block out cigarettes/weapons etc. etc. as per normal Thai TV - is this an indication that it's not restricted to Thailand content?

No, not at all. Thats Thailand broadcast stuff and has nothing to do with Netflix. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Google and see what shows play in your home country but not in thailand. Check with VPN on and VPN off. 

I typically watch US netflix and "The Walking Dead" is what I look for, among others, to make sure im on US Netflix. 

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I haven't yet worked out how to see whether my VPN is on or off.  As mentioned previously, I'm IT illiterate.

But checking to see whether 'The Walking Dead' is available is a great idea.

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I haven't yet worked out how to see whether my VPN is on or off. 

I dunno what you mean, if you have a paid VPN app then it should clearly show if its on or not. If youre trying to go the 'free' route then I cant help you.

Screenshots to show you what I mean:

Off:

884445762_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_44_42AM.png.dcceb464746bab8780ecff605676767f.png

On:

93916000_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_46_04AM.png.7c45c03b8c9c7447e3b4cf6744259888.png

No "The Walking Dead":

607670048_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_33_50AM.png.77820c383808485437c2e61d7a0d6ee4.png

"The Walking Dead" Available:

1264775452_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_34_41AM.png.12ffee16e54e130aac88c96ff4971c58.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteveK said:

I've been using Netflix for several years now, including when in Thailand. It has been very useful, however there are some issues. As mentioned some content is not available in Thailand, but most is. I found Malaysia was far, far worse, loads of content was blocked. You can't get around it, even with a good paid-for VPN service, or at least I couldn't, they seem to know if you are on a VPN (I tried with nordvpn and tunnel bear to no avail), but you probably know more about this kind of thing than I do so YMMV.

My main gripe with Netflix, is that they very rarely get the triple-A Hollywood movies, but it seems to be packed with bargain-bin type movies you see at 7-11 for 99 baht. Combine that with the Netflix-produced specials, which are notoriously bad, then you quickly run out of content to watch unless you just want to watch box-sets like The Big Bang Theory, all of the Star Trek series, Black Mirror (one of Netflix's highlights), etc.

Amazon Prime is better, but again, a lot of the top movies are only watchable with a surcharge which kind of defeats the point.

Kickass or Extratorrent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

I dunno what you mean, if you have a paid VPN app then it should clearly show if its on or not. If youre trying to go the 'free' route then I cant help you.

Screenshots to show you what I mean:

Off:

884445762_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_44_42AM.png.dcceb464746bab8780ecff605676767f.png

On:

93916000_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_46_04AM.png.7c45c03b8c9c7447e3b4cf6744259888.png

No "The Walking Dead":

607670048_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_33_50AM.png.77820c383808485437c2e61d7a0d6ee4.png

"The Walking Dead" Available:

1264775452_ScreenShot2019-04-04at9_34_41AM.png.12ffee16e54e130aac88c96ff4971c58.png

Bloody hell, it's so complicated!

I bought a VPN (Nord), but it doesn't show on my laptop (without signing in to my account) whether or not I am connected, as far as I can see....

It is clear though that I'm only getting the Thailand Netflix service ☹️.  I'm going to have to bring in someone who is IT literate to see if they can sort this out.

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Why do you need a VPN for Netflix in Thailand. I don't and am more than happy with the content here. Hundreds of films, series, documentaries etc.

More content. You can change to us, uk, oz, etc content and have way more options. 

You don't NEED one but it's a cheap content multiplier. 

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Why do you need a VPN for Netflix in Thailand. I don't and am more than happy with the content here. Hundreds of films, series, documentaries etc.

It is not just that there is more content, there is literally about 75 times times the content.

Check the link:

https://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

If 4,722 films and series isn't enough there must be something wrong with you. How much time do you spend watching TV?

It is a discriminating movie psreference.  If I want to watch a particular movie that is the movie I want to watch.  I use a VPN and Kodi too. 

One little issue if you want Thai sub titles, they are only available on Thai Netflix, not when you connect using VPN. Mrs P likes to watch Netflix movies with the subtitles, so she is restricted to the Thai listing.  

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

If 4,722 films and series isn't enough there must be something wrong with you. How much time do you spend watching TV?

because the ones you really want to watch are not there?  

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

No there must be something wrong with people like you that make comments like that. AH

On 4/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Being IT illiterate, I understand very little of this ☹️.

When access Netflix US my screenshot displays a trailer for "Longmire" which is not available in Thailand. You could type Longmire in the Netflix search box. If it displays you have US content. You might even enjoy watching. Longmire was adapted for tv from the novels of Craig Johnson. It starred Austrian actor Robert Taylor, who played a modern-day Wyoming Sheriff. It also starred Lou Diamond Phillips and Canadian Katee Sackhoff.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, Henryford said:

Ditto.

If there is some content blocked I have not noticed it.

I have now got my android box (kodi) working again with the Netflix app (not requiring kodi) and a VPN app working.  It could fail at any time but I was able to buy a $30 1 year Netflix account on ebay.  They give an email address and password.  What you give up for this price is that since these are shared you loose the personalization like recommend shows and such.