AIS esports package

jackdd

I just got my AIS fibre internet with 300/300 "esports package" installed http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_esports.html

A few things are not clear from the website, so if anybody is interested in this, here the details how this works:

The router is connected with two connections, the router shows this on the status page, each connection offers 300/300 (or whatever package you choose).

One connection "home" has a shared public ip v4 address, the other connection "gaming" has it's own public ip v4 address.

The router opens 3 wifi networks, a 2.4ghz and 5ghz routed to the home internet, and another 5ghz routed to the gaming internet.

The home wifis can be configured normally, but currently the gaming wifi can not be configured after the first inital setup (not sure what can be configured there, the technician did it, he set the password), so i can't change the SSID or password of it without resetting the router to factory settings. If i disable the 5ghz home wifi it also disables the gaming wifi.

I hope AIS will soon provide a firmware update which allows to configure this.

LAN ports 1-3 are routed to the home internet, port 4 routed to the gaming internet (no option to configure this). So if you wish to connect multiple devices with a cable to the gaming internet you need a switch.

I think it would be possible to use a dual wan router behind the AIS router to get effectively 600/600 for all devices, due to a lack of a dual wan router i can't test this, and i also don't have any plans to buy a dual wan router.

speedtest.net to AIS severs currently shows about 330/330, i will benchmark this a bit more today in the evening.

A fibre modem normally can only support single WAN connection so i guess the normal and gaming mode is just a gimnick. Can you try doing some ping and speed test to both local and international servers with both modes to see if there are differences?

Normal routers have QoS settings which lets the user set different priority settings to certain apps and IPs.

I think the only difference between the connections is the different public ip address, i doubt there will be any other difference. The terms "gaming" and "esport" are probably just their marketing strategy.

The router does show two connections, here a screenshot of the interface:

6.JPG.2cd0a88d6c1174d54596fd09b6c73d35.JPG

Due to a lack of a second working lan cable, i can currently not properly benchmark it, but if i connect one laptop with a cable to the home connection (speedtest currently shows about 330/320), and the other using wifi to the gaming connection (speedtest currently shows about 150/150), i still get the same results when i run the speedtests on both devices parallel. So in total about 480/470. I will repeat this when i have another working lan cable, but expect to get 330/320 parallel on both laptops, so effectively about 660/640.

Here a few speedtests, i'm a bit surprised how bad the upload to FRA and NYC is.

1.JPG.1b7bcb6299fa1d71d6d2c5c1dc4c6d7a.JPG2.JPG.c8ba6ca4b4637e4bf0c806e1204c73b6.JPG3.JPG.cd5aa0e3dcea801be8f8f405b0de82aa.JPG4.JPG.df0ba66af2823f810c2de7c4b0175bb7.JPG5.JPG.0802f4700f1c3f86feeabb0b0388fbb4.JPG

I got a second working LAN cable, so i was able to benchmark it with two laptops.

One laptop connected to the "home" internet, the other to the "gaming" internet, and i did run the speedtest on both laptops parallel.

I got about 330/330 on both laptops. So this are definitely two different connections which don't interfere with each other, giving me theoretically 660/660.

Making a tracert showed a slightly different routing in the AIS network, the "gaming" connection has 6 hops, the "home" connection 7 hops, before i'm out of the AIS network, but this is probably not be noticeable in any way.

Edited by jackdd

38 minutes ago, muratremix said:

300/300 package seems like a good deal.

I wonder if it performs better against international servers for streaming etc?

I made some tests with the "gaming" and the "home" connection in parallel to international servers, sometimes the "gaming" connection was better and sometimes the "home" connection. From my observations it was based simply on luck which connection performed better, so imho there is no prioritization for the gaming connection by AIS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just ordered this and they are coming Sunday to set up, cant wait as been stuck with cable for ages. Just wondering if I have access to the port-forwarding option in the Gaming LAN?

Also, is the IPV6 address static? thanks

Edited by SkyNets

3 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Just wondering if I have access to the port-forwarding option in the Gaming LAN? 

I didn't try if it's actually working, but when creating a port forwarding rule you can choose for which interface (home/gaming) you want it, so this should be no problem.

3 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Also, is the IPV6 address static? thanks 

When you look at the screenshot of the router interface in my second post you will notice that only the "home" connection (VID_10 = home, VID_60 = gaming), is actually connected via ipv6. So imho the "gaming" connection is not connected via ipv6, and the home ipv6 address is probably not a public address, but just used to route you through AIS' ipv6 to ipv4 nat. So imho we don't have a private public ipv6 address, so it also doesn't matter if this is static or not.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

the home ipv6 address is probably not a public address, but just used to route you through AIS' ipv6 to ipv4 nat.

IS has a full IPv6 backbone, so I expect that IPv6 connection to be public. Certainly, on my AIS line my IPv6 is public.

8 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

IS has a full IPv6 backbone, so I expect that IPv6 connection to be public. Certainly, on my AIS line my IPv6 is public.

I'm not 100% sure what is required to get this to work because i never paid much attention to ipv6

In my Windows 10 i made sure that ipv6 is enabled in the adapter settings, and ipconfig shows an ipv6 ip address for my network interface which is connected to the AIS router at the "home" (the router shows an ipv6 connection for this) network.

If i open a test like https://ipv6-test.com/ it says i don't have ipv6 connectivity (in both chrome and firefox), which to my understanding should work if i had a public ipv6 address. Am i missing anything from my side?

1 hour ago, SkyNets said:

So had it installed today, everything was fine. Abit different from yours, they put in 2 routors, one for gaming and one for home.

Did they connect router #2 to port 4 of router #1?

Edited by jackdd

• 4 months later...

I was checking out the AIS website if they changed anything regarding the esports package, and i noticed that they now have a big headline "two routers" on the page. I'm still using the one router configuration which they set up when i had this installed, i'm happy with it like this, i don't need two routers. I expect that if anybody orders the package now, you will get the two router setup like the other poster above.

Speeds are still the same, about two times 330/330 to the local AIS speedtest server.

• 3 months later...