Do Many Thais Object To Beef?

Ijustwannateach

I've met a couple of Thais recently who specifically objected to beef when they found out they were eating it (in the form of some spaghetti sauce). They were fine with pork, chicken, fish, and other seafood; they didn't have allergies; and they were Buddhists (if that matters). I was wondering if this might be some relic of the Hindu past here, or some kind of economic value attached to cows (or even sentiment, like the buffalo being treated like a family member). Anybody have more information or speculation on this?

I've met a couple of Thais recently who specifically objected to beef when they found out they were eating it (in the form of some spaghetti sauce). They were fine with pork, chicken, fish, and other seafood; they didn't have allergies; and they were Buddhists (if that matters). I was wondering if this might be some relic of the Hindu past here, or some kind of economic value attached to cows (or even sentiment, like the buffalo being treated like a family member). Anybody have more information or speculation on this?

Many Thais also observe Hindu customs.

That was my first thought when I came to Thailand. Lots of cows should equal lots of nice beef and lots of fresh milk.

The only beef I have seen in Issan looks like beef jerky (biltong) and fresh milk is almost impossible to buy. It seems to be only CoffeeMate? which ends up on my coffee.

In addition, on the rare occasions my Thai partner and I go to Pattaya - he won't go into McDonalds because they serve beef.

Peter

Interesting, Peter. (Hi!) Come to reckon, most of my Thai neighbours neve ate beef. Fish/seafood mostly, and chicken and pork, as you said. Maybe that's why Tutsi cannot find beef in his market. Pls ask your partner why he has an aversion to beef.

I found that while I was in Thailand last time, it's the things that I can't get that I crave ... like a meat pie! Funny thing is - when I am back home in Australia, I doubt if I would eat one every six months.

I've notived that Thais don't seem very eager to try western foods. Vegemite didn't go down well at all.

I asked my partner 'why not eat beef' and the reply was that 'buddha not like' - so it sounds like a taboo based on religious grounds.

There's an interesting ThaiVisa thread here about Thais and roast dinners. I really like roast potato ... so hard to find a humble spud in Issan. :o

Peter

Most of the Thai in Isaan I know object to beef on the basis of taste, not religion. And, in fact, most beef in this area has a very strong, gamey flavor, and quite tough. For that reason, I've stopped eating beef, myself, since coming to Thailand. The only places I will eat it is in a couple of restaurants who import their beef from Bangkok (and presumably that comes from abroad as well). Otherwise-- :o

Interesting, Peter. (Hi!) Come to reckon, most of my Thai neighbours neve ate beef. Fish/seafood mostly, and chicken and pork, as you said. Maybe that's why Tutsi cannot find beef in his market. Pls ask your partner why he has an aversion to beef.

not to to worry, I found packaged beef at the new tescos that just opened. Strange lookin' cut, identified on the label in english as 'small piece of beef', nothin' that I've seen before. But, it's nicely marbled and should be well suited fer de 'ol rice cooker...although can't eat none ob it until I get some urgent dental work done so inta de freezer fer de time bein'...

btw, de wife likes a nice steak, usually when we are livin' away from Thailand where 'nice' and 'beef' are mutually exclusive, but I never saw her cook wid beef herself... she'll also a have a spot ob meatloaf when I prepare it...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My wife says it's the particular "Buddha" she worships (a chinese woman) that has to do with her not eating beef.

My ex-g/f used to say the same thing

Not exactly a 'Chinese woman' but Kuan Yin (known in Thai as Jao Mae Kuan Im), the Mahayana Buddhist goddess of mercy. This deity is worshipped by many Thai Chinese, some of who choose not to eat beef as a way of paying respect to Kuan Yin. Thais with no Chinese ancestry typically do not avoid beef although it's one of the more expensive meats in Thailand, so is eaten less frequently than pork, duck or chicken.

Nothing at all to do with Hindu beliefs, in Thailand at least.

qy.gif

My wife says it's the particular "Buddha" she worships (a chinese woman) that has to do with her not eating beef.

My wife worships the same chinese Buddha ,and therefor she doesn't eat beef, at all.....i don't really mind about it ,as i can very well live without it.

I live in cattle country, great white humpy things roam everywhere. Some of the Thais eat it and some don't. My wife eats no red meat at all, in which she includes beef, duck, dog, mutton, goat et al.

if ye got goat meat available ye can grind it up an' use it as a substitute fer mutton in indian dishes, kebabs, etc...always pays ta have a meat grinder around...never seen no real mutton in Suphan...seen loadsa goats bein' herded along the verge ob de main road to Suphanburi amphur; de thais don't drink de milk so whaddadey do widdem? (an idea?...'tutsiwarrior's south Suphanburi fromage du chevre'; ship down to BKK an' lay waste to local culinary tradition...)

Not exactly a 'Chinese woman' but Kuan Yin (known in Thai as Jao Mae Kuan Im), the Mahayana Buddhist goddess of mercy. This deity is worshipped by many Thai Chinese, some of who choose not to eat beef as a way of paying respect to Kuan Yin. Thais with no Chinese ancestry typically do not avoid beef although it's one of the more expensive meats in Thailand, so is eaten less frequently than pork, duck or chicken.

qy.gif

Thanks for the info. Thats definitely her.....I'm looking at a statue in our bedroom.

Thanks from me, too, Sabaijai and all. Never knew about the beef ban, but when we went to her temple in Tokyo, friends said couples never went there together because the goddess would get jealous. I think there is a statue of her at Samui airport? Wonder why...

I live in cattle country, great white humpy things roam everywhere. Some of the Thais eat it and some don't. My wife eats no red meat at all, in which she includes beef, duck, dog, mutton, goat et al.

if ye got goat meat available ye can grind it up an' use it as a substitute fer mutton in indian dishes, kebabs, etc...always pays ta have a meat grinder around...never seen no real mutton in Suphan...seen loadsa goats bein' herded along the verge ob de main road to Suphanburi amphur; de thais don't drink de milk so whaddadey do widdem? (an idea?...'tutsiwarrior's south Suphanburi fromage du chevre'; ship down to BKK an' lay waste to local culinary tradition...)

I was up in Kunming 18 months ago and the local goats cheese was a regional specialty. A local hard smoked ham was also on the menu and I actually had a pizza in a restaurant that combined the two that was one of the best I've ever eaten.

My wife refuses to eat beef. To her beef and buffalo are the same. I don't think it's a religious thing because she has no objections about cooking beef for me. She just tells me that the Thai people owe a lot to the buffalo and she feels bad when they are killed for food that we don't really need. Her family has no problems eating beef.

My wife doesn't eat beef purely due to the smell of it raw at the point of sale. I totally agree with her as I can't stand the smell of beef in the local markets. The smell of pork, poultry, seafood etc. doesn't bother me a bit but to walk past the beef vendor really churns my stomach.

qy.gif

Thanks for the info. Thats definitely her.....I'm looking at a statue in our bedroom.

A lot of the Chinese here in Singapore have statues of her.

I wonder about those in my office as I see most of them eating beef - I will have to check up on this to satisfy my curiosity.

My wife refuses to eat beef. To her beef and buffalo are the same. I don't think it's a religious thing because she has no objections about cooking beef for me. She just tells me that the Thai people owe a lot to the buffalo and she feels bad when they are killed for food that we don't really need. Her family has no problems eating beef.

Yep, my other half is the same, won't eat beef but happy to cook it for me :o

Interestingly, she got a taste for horse when we lived in Europe (Italy and Belgium). IMHO a much nicer meat than beef anyway, just don't think about the fact you're eating what came in 4th in the 2:30 :D

The Chinese Woman you are referring to is Kuan Im or a female reincarnation of Buddha. Many Thai Chinese worship this Female Buddha image. You can see depictions of her as a standing Female Buddha image dressed in white clothes. Families that worship this Buddha figure do not eat beef. Many will not eat large animals or will sparingly eat meat of large animals.

This has nothing to do with Hindi belief - I think...

Now if you wanted to look for beef, go to the Muslim section of your town - if there ever was one.

In Bangkok, that would be Ban Kaek near Wongwienyai. In Chiang Rai, we don't have problem finding beef because of the fairly large Muslim population in this city.

Macro would surely have something interesting such as T-bone steaks or porterhouse cuts. Much cheaper to make your own steak - provided you knew how to prepare one...

This might also account for why it's difficult to find beef stock in most supermarkets, (except the mostly farang-used ones, like Villa).

Most of the Thai in Isaan I know object to beef on the basis of taste, not religion. And, in fact, most beef in this area has a very strong, gamey flavor, and quite tough. For that reason, I've stopped eating beef, myself, since coming to Thailand. The only places I will eat it is in a couple of restaurants who import their beef from Bangkok (and presumably that comes from abroad as well). Otherwise-- :o

The reason that Thais won't eat beef has nothing to do with Buddhism. It is because it is so tough and tasteless here.

Spring for a GOOD imported steak and watch them chow down! :D