Paying Thai girlfriend a "salary"

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Legitimate jobs in Thailand do not pay well. The average wage in my GF's village is 2500- 3000 baht/month. Her father gets a monthly government pension of 800 baht. Whoopee.

You may be right w.r.to the OP, given his age and the age of a prospective GF. It would be completely unreasonable for me to expect my GF to contribute on an equal financial footing to our relationship, given the amount of care I get.

Wife's family, 3 cousins work for Dow Chemical average 50,000 per month - Industrial park.  If you want to stay in the village you be a poor folk.  Get an education and work for industry and make some money.  Up to you.  A lot of scholarships around.  Dow has great insurance and other benefits too.  Wife's family members stuck at 50 becasue of poor English. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Wife's family, 3 cousins work for Dow Chemical average 50,000 per month - Industrial park.  If you want to stay in the village you be a poor folk.  Get an education and work for industry and make some money.  Up to you.  A lot of scholarships around.  Dow has great insurance and other benefits too.  Wife's family members stuck at 50 becasue of poor English. 

An education in Thailand? The ruling class have zero interest in an an educated rural Thai population, they know lamp posts would beckon.

• Confused 1

Don't worry my newbie friend. Any girls that ask for a monthly amount, as soon as you meet them or shortly thereafter, is a WORKING GIRL. Nothing wrong with that, but keep it real. Understand that here it's just about the money. Don't get confused and think that they will be monogamous, or be similar to any relationship you've ever had in the West. It's a business, and you are the paying customer.

• Like 1

It is not just in Thailand, here in the Philippines some foriegners treat their lady like a whore and pay them an "allowance" but I am not going down that track it goes against the grain for me. 

• Like 1

I have been married for over 47 years and have never paid a salary.  My income is our income and we only buy what can be afforded.  My wife is asked a lot about how much I pay her a month.  She rightfully says nothing.  She is not wanting for anything.  We have taken care of family members  on both sides of the ocean.  Spent $38,000 the past 3 years building a home for one.  Putting a new roof on a home for one and will sent twin girls to university if they show this is what they want and have to do well in school first.  Both are 14 and we want them t become something.  I don't think my wife is believed, but who cares.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, FarangOnTour said:

Excuse me if I sound like a "cheap Charlie" but this does not seem 100% correct to me. Is this the case across the board, by which I mean; do all Farangs pay their Thai girlfriend

just the insecure stupid ones

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:29 PM, baansgr said:

Everyone pays their Mrs a salary here, even those that swear blind they dont as they are Bangkok Chinese. Its the way of Thailand, hence why Im single. 50k is way too steep

its pathetic/desperate to pay a thai lady to pay a thai lady to live with a farang..sure, they all want/need money, but paying regular mthly payments to them is soo weird...

there are so many to choose from {even for older men} --its much cheaper to rent and get variety , without having to subsidise their problematic lives...

i know several beautiful ladies, that will stay with me,a night or two, without demanding money , money, money.

why are so many expats, so desperate, niave and immature ?  it beats me...

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 12:50 AM, jmd8800 said:

Good response. The key is: what your relationship is based on.

I prefer to spend my time with women who have a life and career. Sure we can share things and she probably shares a bit less than I but still.... a girl with a decent salary and job is the ticket. However, this girl won't have a lot of time after work or spending time with the family. You should also have a life and interests to offer her. Sitting around all day probably won't work. In short... it is just like home.

If she is with you 24/7 then she is effectively working for you and you'll pay her a salary.

Bangkok is the place to start as the smarter more attractive girls will head to the big city where there is greater opportunity in all aspects of life. That is universal.

you make some good points...the problem that i have found with ladies who dont work in bars...

they work so much, its hard to get quality time with them..also, from my experience,they  are the ones that want marriage...thats also a no no... why get married, its unnecessary, achieves nothing, only more problems.

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

Don't worry my newbie friend. Any girls that ask for a monthly amount, as soon as you meet them or shortly thereafter, is a WORKING GIRL. Nothing wrong with that, but keep it real. Understand that here it's just about the money. Don't get confused and think that they will be monogamous, or be similar to any relationship you've ever had in the West. It's a business, and you are the paying customer.

how about a gainfully employed and verified gal with a masters degree, car and good salary demanding a 5000 baht/month allowance despite living rent free and almost never paying for food ??  working girl or just working girl wannabe?  its not everyone but in their society there are many with this mentality

• Confused 1

If you are living here and she is living with you then you are paying for most of her expenses. It would be reasonable for you to give her about 9,000 that she could send home to her family. If you wasn't living here and you want her to be exclusively with you, 20,000 is reasonable although I wouldnt recommend it, as you would have no idea if she was being faithful. If you end up marrying her then 2 or 3,000 pocket money is enough. There will be loads on here who will say pay nothing. Yes in the western world I agree but this is Thailand and the culture is completely different.

• Like 1

The fact that you left your home country where you were socialized to have perception of man-woman relationship that is on a somewhat more modern/developed level and came to a place which has social structure and values that the other side of the world had 200-300 years ago doesn't mean you have to abandon all you have been taught before and accept everything here as part of the host culture.

Just consider how you would think about similar situation in your home country. Usually people pay salary for other people in return for some service or employment. If your girl ask for salary from you and does no other thing for you than being your girlfriend then she is a prostitute.

If you live with her in Thailand some money to care  of her personal expenses is not uncommon.

As you pay for everything else do not give her the huge amount she request . 50,000 THB per months in a  salary after you have a degree.

If she do not agree , just go to the next one. Do not worry, at 31 years old you have a lot of time  to met a few girls before making a decision.

I pay a weekly amount to my girlfriend as she live with me. 4000 B a week is plenty. Most office workers have a similar starting salary and not much holidays.

Why weekly,,,,  because she can not spend the monthly allowance in the first week of the month.  She actually prefer that now. Every Friday the money is transferred in her account.

And again,  wait until you live together.  Long distance relationship is a waste for you !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, anthobkk said:

Sometimes when we fight, she often tell me "you're lucky to have me, most of thai girls, rich or not would expect the guy to pay for everything"

Funny my wife says exactly the same. And you are right. All girls are different. Rich or not.

3 minutes ago, sixlegs said:

The fact that you left your home country where you were socialized to have perception of man-woman relationship that is on a somewhat more modern/developed level and came to a place which has social structure and values that the other side of the world had 200-300 years ago doesn't mean you have to abandon all you have been taught before and accept everything here as part of the host culture.

Just consider how you would think about similar situation in your home country. Usually people pay salary for other people in return for some service or employment. If your girl ask for salary from you and does no other thing for you than being your girlfriend then she is a prostitute.

Don't know about that.  Ask Wendi Deng.  I knew about trophy wives when was 12 years old.  I was taught by all that is holy - you get what you pay for and there's no such thing as a free lunch- what daddy said.  Truth. 

• Confused 1