What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

On 4/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, marcusarelus said:

I'm not quite 80 so I guess I can have sex for a few more years.  Now I'm investigating VA and payment to another hospital if I'm far away from a VA hospital.  They pay for my treatment here in Thailand but it has to be related to my disability and since it's heart they will cover most things that might go wrong with me -my history. 

a few more years is an understatement. I know of 2 relatives(now single) in their mid 70s with a "penis pump". They are enjoying sex almost as they did in their 30s. Of course, like everything else, "this" is something entirely depending on how you perceive fun, sex and life in general.

According to them , they both see themselves "superman"

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, Cryingdick said:

I think you might be surprised at how little $3,000 month gets you in SF. People making $250,000 a year are needing roommates to rent a home for $10,000 a month. In Seattle you can still get. Studio for $3,000 a month.

Just saw this on the  KRON website.

It's near Dolores Park, which is a pretty nice neighborhood, but Holy Cow!

57595548_2614525981923113_5066069064145698816_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody asked about cell phone unlimited plans with unlimited internet.   I have republic wireless and it is good service for like $22/mo.  I am uncertain if it is 3 g or 4 g,  but you can watch youtube just fine... ATT  and the other telco tye services all require contracts.  

On 4/5/2019 at 7:15 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Last time I looked about Air BnB places around the L.A. area, they were as expensive or more expensive than a typical motel/small hotel place.

Air BnB ,   not for me,, too exspensive. scammers .

On 4/23/2019 at 3:35 AM, pattayadude said:

a few more years is an understatement. I know of 2 relatives(now single) in their mid 70s with a "penis pump". They are enjoying sex almost as they did in their 30s. Of course, like everything else, "this" is something entirely depending on how you perceive fun, sex and life in general.

According to them , they both see themselves "superman"

Wow ,   Pattaya here i come,,  again  555

12 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Somebody asked about cell phone unlimited plans with unlimited internet.   I have republic wireless and it is good service for like $22/mo.  I am uncertain if it is 3 g or 4 g,  but you can watch youtube just fine... ATT  and the other telco tye services all require contracts.  

As of October 2018 both AT&T and T-Mobile offer month to month plans with no contract. Just make sure your phone is unlocked to use their networks.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, marcusarelus said:

No life event really.  The latest election results will bring some changes and if the Hospital lobby gets it's way there will be mandatory insurance.  That could be good or bad.  Perhaps I'll get a discount on what I'm paying now or perhaps they will just kick us old folks out.  If they kick us out my wife won't leave Thailand so I'll be moving back to the States alone.

My challenges are 1.  Getting into the America with a phone that works.  2.  Being able to get Internet on the phone so I can tether my computer (I'm used to high speeds).  3. Bringing in a couple hundred thousand cash and depositing that in a bank.  4.  Getting from the airport to an apartment and store to buy furnishings for the apartment.  5.  Getting registered with VA and getting my meds changed to the States.  6.  Getting a dr lic and buying a car or living in a city where that is not necessary like Chicago or NYC. 

So, this is the scene.  Here comes old guy not been in the country since 2000.  A pocket full of cash and a couple thousand a month in Social Security.  I know I could go to Chicago - lived there before.  Tampa maybe but VA sucks there and might kill me.  SF - lived there too but think too expensive now.  South America is a no go - no family there in case of emergency.  Canada might work but very expensive and cold - lived in Victoria before. 

Seems like my best choices are the old GF in Wisconsin or Florida but I hate to be an imposition on anyone. 

And maybe it works out and I don't have to go.  But best to be prepared. 

1.  Since you are a veteran, go online and get an account at Navy Federal Credit union, you can use your Thai address.  They don't care.  They will ask for a copy of your passport and a copy of your CAC, if you have one.  Once the account is open go to your Thai bank and transfer the funds into your NFCU account. 

2. Phone get to a walmart and buy a ATT Go, or T mobile prepay.  Easily done. 

3.  Internet available on the phone, prepay with DATA....

4.  Registering at the VA is simple, just go to the VA, takes about 1 hour. 

5.  As for an apartment, go rent one.  There are many options, get a 6 months lease until you are established, then get a better place. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 6:20 PM, Jingthing said:

Pittsburgh is indeed up there on good "lower cost" U.S. retirement destinations but it does have very cold winters and most people don't want that. If you're considering cold, have a look at Rochester New York as well. A remarkable amount of cultural attractions for a city its size and I noticed they have a lot of senior oriented housing. At age 80 a lot of people are going to be looking for a senior community where transport to doctors, shopping, and "field trips" is part of it. But extra services, extra cost. There are HUD subsidized senior housing communities (rent based on income) in many cities usually affiliated with churches but all of them have strict application screening (which is required by HUD) and I think the prospects for a newly returned expat and no recent locl history would be almost nil (long waiting lists anyway, often years). Not talking about only slums … many are nice places in good neighborhoods. That could be something to work towards later.

Some nice things about Rochester but it's a dead city, New York state, shitonna snow, long winters. Not recommended.

15 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Some nice things about Rochester but it's a dead city, New York state, shitonna snow, long winters. Not recommended.

Now I know I'm gonna piss off a whole bunch of East Coasters, but I, and indeed my daughter also found that moving to the East Coast was hard.

Trying to make friends seemed a lot harder than on the West Coast or the Midwest, and I suspect as a senior it's even harder.

My daughter stuck it out in Boston for 2 years, before she moved back West to Denver, and in those 2 years she made no real friends.

A friend of hers from college in San Jose, when they met up had a similar discussion

Her friend who had also lived in Boston previously said, "OMG I thought it was just me that had this problem"

On 5/21/2019 at 3:00 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Now I know I'm gonna piss off a whole bunch of East Coasters, but I, and indeed my daughter also found that moving to the East Coast was hard.

Trying to make friends seemed a lot harder than on the West Coast or the Midwest, and I suspect as a senior it's even harder.

My daughter stuck it out in Boston for 2 years, before she moved back West to Denver, and in those 2 years she made no real friends.

A friend of hers from college in San Jose, when they met up had a similar discussion

Her friend who had also lived in Boston previously said, "OMG I thought it was just me that had this problem"

I totally agree. I finished university in Washington DC. By all accounts it should have been my city. I moved back to So Cal. Missed everything. Gave up possible career in govt service but I was just sad and friendless.

After many years of border runs and country hops I'm getting the hell out of here too.

You should come with me to wv or ok.  Low rent and low queues at the VA hospitals.

I'm going to buy a house though.  300 or 400 a month mortgage is less than renting.

If you qualify for a blue military Id I'd recommend one of those

1 hour ago, SenorJorge said:

After many years of border runs and country hops I'm getting the hell out of here too.

You should come with me to wv or ok.  Low rent and low queues at the VA hospitals.

I'm going to buy a house though.  300 or 400 a month mortgage is less than renting.

If you qualify for a blue military Id I'd recommend one of those

I've lived here for 20 years and never made a border run or country hop.  But even if I did I can't see it would be worth going to West Virginia. 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:48 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I'm with you on the lunacy of cutting all ties to home country. 

Every expat should keep a drivers license and a bank account at the very least, and at best a home, which is the ultimate bolt hole

These days trying to reestablish credit is taking you back to being a teenager, where when you wanted to rent your first apartment Mom & Dad had to co-sign for you.

The best way to rent something in this case is a private rental, craigslist or there are in every city facebook buy/sell pages which are full of private rentals.

Trying to go to a commercial apartment block, and being able to pass the credit check is very unlikely

Credit Unions are the best option for bank accounts and at least some limited credit card options

Private rentals will do a credit check, that is the number one check if you have bad credit more than likely you will be missing the rent or late, even a good credit check is no guarantee as a frind of mine who has rentals has found out over the years.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, jimmyyy said:

1.  Since you are a veteran, go online and get an account at Navy Federal Credit union, you can use your Thai address.  They don't care.  They will ask for a copy of your passport and a copy of your CAC, if you have one.  Once the account is open go to your Thai bank and transfer the funds into your NFCU account. 

2. Phone get to a walmart and buy a ATT Go, or T mobile prepay.  Easily done. 

3.  Internet available on the phone, prepay with DATA....

4.  Registering at the VA is simple, just go to the VA, takes about 1 hour. 

5.  As for an apartment, go rent one.  There are many options, get a 6 months lease until you are established, then get a better place. 

Just take your phone from Thailand get a tmobile sim card

4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Private rentals will do a credit check, that is the number one check if you have bad credit more than likely you will be missing the rent or late, even a good credit check is no guarantee as a frind of mine who has rentals has found out over the years.

I don't have any credit - good or bad after being gone for 20 years.  I do have friends who will co sign for me. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I've lived here for 20 years and never made a border run or country hop.  But even if I did I can't see it would be worth going to West Virginia. 

I love the state.  Inexpensive and beautiful.  Everything that Esan has except better.  Add mountains.

54 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

I love the state.  Inexpensive and beautiful.  Everything that Esan has except better.  Add mountains.

West Virginia has the nation's fourth-worst poverty rate.  An estimated 336,301 West Virginians lived in poverty in 2017, for a total poverty rate of 19.1 percent - an increase of 1.2 percentage points from 2016. More than one in four kids in West Virginia lives in poverty. That’s nearly 100,000 kids. I used to vacation at the Homestead in VA and remember taking the train through W. Va.  I couldn't imagine the poverty seen through the train window on the way to Virginia.  I was young then. 

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

West Virginia has the nation's fourth-worst poverty rate.  An estimated 336,301 West Virginians lived in poverty in 2017, for a total poverty rate of 19.1 percent - an increase of 1.2 percentage points from 2016. More than one in four kids in West Virginia lives in poverty. That’s nearly 100,000 kids. I used to vacation at the Homestead in VA and remember taking the train through W. Va.  I couldn't imagine the poverty seen through the train window on the way to Virginia.  I was young then. 

Been poor most of my life.  Don't care.  I'm in the third world not because of the women.  I'm here for the exchange rate, my man

Poor

Ugly

Happy

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

What exchange rate would that be?  You must be Thai. 

USD to Thai baht.  It was a lot better when I first got here than it is now.  Another reason I'm leaving.  It's not really cheaper here anymore.  We used to have it so good.  I'm sure you remember if you've been here 20 years.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

When I was looking for some of the cheapest rents in the USA Johnson City TN caught my attention. Its a hillbilly type place like West Virginia.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

WV is coming up.  All you see now is new pickup trucks, remodeled homes, and newer shopping malls these days. It's sort of good in the way there's more jobs now.  But bad that its actually getting kind of pricey.  Anyway, it's still one of the few affordable retirement destinations in America left.  Florida isn't even on the map as far as affordability is concerned anymore.  It's outrageous and the places that are left with low mortgages and rents aren't safe at all. 

4 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

WV is coming up.  All you see now is new pickup trucks, remodeled homes, and newer shopping malls these days. It's sort of good in the way there's more jobs now.  But bad that its actually getting kind of pricey.  Anyway, it's still one of the few affordable retirement destinations in America left.  Florida isn't even on the map as far as affordability is concerned anymore.  It's outrageous and the places that are left with low mortgages and rents aren't safe at all. 

Well one thing that intrigues me about Johnsonville TN was that its only an hour's drive to Asheville N.C. a place I would actually really want to live if I could afford it. 

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well one thing that intrigues me about Johnsonville TN was that its only an hour's drive to Asheville N.C. a place I would actually really want to live if I could afford it. 

Sounds kind of like the days when I stayed in Salisbury MD to have quick access to Ocean City.

I've just generally had it with Thailand.  Marcus it sounds like your main reason for leaving is difficulty accessing quality health care?  That's why I'm out of here.

5 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

Sounds kind of like the days when I stayed in Salisbury MD to have quick access to Ocean City.

I've just generally had it with Thailand.  Marcus it sounds like your main reason for leaving is difficulty accessing quality health care?  That's why I'm out of here.

Medical care is a big big deal as we get older. Once you're 65, actually being able to use Medicare is a big, big deal. I'm not there yet but I can see the logic of that. There are some other options though where you can buy into national health care programs in some countries in Latin America. May or may not be as good as Medicare but there is also the matter of keeping the cost of living down which is very hard to do in the USA if you don't already own a home free and clear and you want any kind of life with comfort, dignity and some pleasure. 

Just wanted to add a note about getting credit and a credit card.  Years ago I needed to do the same and I got a pre paid credit card.  this is NOT a debit card mind you.  It is a real credit card, it gets reported to the credit bureaus, etc.  You put cash on deposit and they give you a credit card with a limit up to or even more than the cash you deposit.  I did that for several years and had no problems at all.  I added a few hundred dollars here and there and got the limit up to a high enough value I could use it for rental cars, buying plane tickets etc.  Later I got back on regular cards and Sterling closed the account and got the cash on deposit back.  .  But there are several out there.

1 hour ago, SenorJorge said:

I think you are grossly wrong on Florida.  There are many very affordable places there.  Palm Bay and melbourne areas are reasonable.   Many cheap places in any city or country are going to tend to have less than desirable people there.  That comes with the territory.  There are plenty of reasonable mobile home rentals all over the state.  That may not be what one wants, but well, if not financially really sound, one may have to make compromises.  

Huntsville Alabama is a decent area also

15 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I think you are grossly wrong on Florida.  There are many very affordable places there.  Palm Bay and melbourne areas are reasonable.   Many cheap places in any city or country are going to tend to have less than desirable people there.  That comes with the territory.  There are plenty of reasonable mobile home rentals all over the state.  That may not be what one wants, but well, if not financially really sound, one may have to make compromises.  

Huntsville Alabama is a decent area also

I think you're wrong about Florida. There are a lot of people in deep poverty there. Utilities are more expensive there. Car insurance is more expensive there and you will need a car. Renting a mobile home or even buying one and renting the lot is like being in a hostage situation, you are truly a captive. Not to mention hurricanes that are getting worse. My conclusion after much research is that there really isn't any place in the USA that offers a good quality of life that doesn't suck on a very low budget like a low social security check without owning a home. OK, I'll revise that a bit. For the type of person that likes living in a small midwestern or southern town, or rural backwater and is very handy and self sufficient, lives for hunting and fishing and such like, there probably are lots of OK places like that. 

Archived