What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Assuming he needs one. There are other visa avenues.

To live there full time? At age 80? I really don't think so. 

That said although I'm not totally clear on that, the OP does sound like he has fairly significant income, etc.

That would open up a lot of pleasant options other than repatriation.

For examples --

Spain

Portugal

Uruguay

Panama (City)

Malta

Cyprus

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I primarily use Google Voice for all my banking SMSs, but there are a very few of my accounts for which that isn't accepted, and the entity seems to be looking for a regular mobile number.

In those case, usually, either the $3 a month T-Mobile prepaid plan works OK, or failing that, there's the free TextNow app for Android and others that gives you a U.S. phone number with totally free phone calling and SMS to/from the U.S. over wifi capability, and that works quite well also. IME, call quality and texting reliability with the TextNow app has been excellent.

One thing I've noticed about some of the traditional U.S. mobile service providers with their SIM cards, including TM, is their systems seem set to not accept delivery to some of the common U.S. mail forwarding services. So in those cases, you either need to wait for a trip back to the U.S. to pick up the SIM card, or, obtain it thru some 3rd party source like Amazon, EBay or other.

I have a dual SIM phone. Thailand and Australian SIMs. When I am in Australia I can make free video calls to my Thai GF. All we both need is a WiFi connection.

You did not mention the location (city/state) you were going to so here is the contact links for Senior Citizen Centers in the U.S. The are of course very knowledgeable about their communities and services available to Older people.

NISC - National Institute of Senior Centers | NCOA

Join us at the 2019 Age+Action Conference! We are committed to supporting and strengthening the nation's 11,000 senior centers through best practices, ...

Senior centers offer a wide variety of programs and services, including: Meal and nutrition programs. Information and assistance. Health, fitness, and wellness programs. Transportation services. Public benefits counseling. Employment assistance. Volunteer and civic engagement opportunities. Social and recreational ...
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Age does change one's perspectives. It's a question of whether one is comfortable with dying in Thailand, or in the bosom of their country of origin. I haven't made up my mind... yet.

Fair enough.

But Marcus' age seems to have caught up with him with one almighty bang.

I,for one,was homesick,very ill and wished to give my wife and her daughter the very real opportunities that Australia has to offer.

My Thai friends here have also availed themselves of those opportunities..work hard and appear to appreciate what they have been given.They are all married,and most are well on their way to becoming citizens-or are citizens.

Anyway-different strokes for different folks-and I wish you all the best.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:35 AM, Gecko123 said:

Marcus:

Do not dispair! You are just the type of quality expatriate which Thailand is very eager to retain! Just show immigration your TVF posting history, and I'm sure any obstacles to your continued stay in Thailand can be quickly swept away by special dispensation. Once they see your unswerving loyalty to the Kingdom and deep and abiding love for the Thai people, not to mention your staunch and unswerving defense of immigration policy, I am sure no stone will be left unturned in an effort to help keep you here.

Honorary citizenship (entitling you to free care in government hospitals) would be an entirely appropriate gesture to reciprocate your too-numerous-to-enumerate efforts on Thailand's behalf. Alas, forum rules prevent me from starting a petition on your behalf, but rest assured, as soon as I finish typing this post, I plan to climb the nearest tree with a bull horn to alert the Thai citizenry of your plight! Help is on the way!

If it is too early in the morning for such sarcasm, please forgive me, but I'm sure I am not alone in thinking, you had it coming in spades. :whistling:

I did hear there was some back room talk about assigning some people to inactive posts when they heard I was thinking about leaving.????

11 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

AGI in the 22k-24k range? If so that makes sense. Higher than that and I think it would be a partial subsidy though still significant. Lower than 138% of PL About $21k and it's Medicaid.

I was claiming, I think income of $40K, and I still got the full premium tax credit for the two of us

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I was claiming, I think income of $40K, and I still got the full premium tax credit for the two of us

Indeed much higher than the minimum amount you needed to qualify for an ACA plan with subsidies.

Under the minimum and the only options are --

Obviously if your employers pays for a plan

Medicare if over 65

Traditional Medicaid if eligible

Expanded Medicaid (not in all states)

Or

Pay full retail for an ACA plan as if you're a wealthy person. 

52 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Fair enough.

I,for one,was homesick,very ill and wished to give my wife and her daughter the very real opportunities that Australia has to offer.

My Thai friends here have also availed themselves of those opportunities..work hard and appear to appreciate what they have been given.They are all married,and most are well on their way to becoming citizens-or are citizens.

I think you are right on many levels there.

You can put up with the nonsense and BS in Thailand, but as you age that  becomes more of an irritant.

But family is the big one, at least for me.

I wanted to be closer to my daughters, and my Thai son, when he told Mom he was staying in the US after college, since he had more opportunities, that was it, we were done.

Many expats I've come across in Thailand are estranged from their families, so maybe that's the big difference

44 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Fair enough.

I talk to my kids via video phone all the time.  My ex remarried well - famous guy - rich and very generous with the kids and grand kids.  I'd just look poor and stupid if I showed up.  I can watch them from Facebook or the society pages as they host balls and are interviewed about what kind of flowers they grow. 

I'm a bit of an active recluse.  My doctor insists I walk 6000 steps a day and track it along with my heart and pulse rate so I go out every day. 

Now who knows what is going to happen.  I'll just wait and see.  I have, I must admit been evaluating just what I'd like to do.  I have 5 oz of red wine a day (doctor instructions) with my evening meals so not a booze location.  I'm trying to lose 10 pounds so don't want to go the New Orleans or SF.  I'm pretty jaded having lived in the Rockies and California and Washington and Oregon.  Sex?  I've had enough for any 3 men and now have really slowed down. 

My kids are better off without me as they have a wonderful mother and a great stepfather who is a good role model and kind man.  Compare a guy who was the President of a number of highly visible corporations and has large homes and reputation in many places in and outside of the US with a guy who lived 3 years in Pattaya with a bevy or bargirls.  Not hard to see who is the best influence for children. 

Interesting article here. There are lots of these in various versions out on the net:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/planning/cheapest-places-retire/

Some interesting city recommendations on the list... quite a few in Florida, Texas and North Carolina. And then a goodly number in the central, non-coastal areas of U.S.

And there was also this:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/planning/why-americans-will-retire-broke/

Survey Finds 42% of Americans Will Retire Broke — Here’s Why

The 2018 Retirement Savings survey found that 42 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved.

Included in that 42 percent with less than $10,000 saved is the 14 percent of respondents with absolutely nothing saved for retirement.

On the other hand, the survey found that the majority of Americans have more than $10,000 saved for retirement.

– Nearly 7 percent said they have $10,000 to $49,999 saved.
– Nearly 13 percent said they have $50,000 to $99,999.
– More than 12 percent said they have $100,000 to $199,999.
– Nearly 10 percent have $200,000 to $299,999.
– About 16 percent have $300,000 or more in retirement savings.

Overall, that's not much saved for what likely would be many years of post employment life...

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting article here. There are lots of these in various versions out on the net:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/planning/cheapest-places-retire/

Some interesting city recommendations on the list... quite a few in Florida, Texas and North Carolina. And then a goodly number in the central, non-coastal areas of U.S.

And there was also this:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/planning/why-americans-will-retire-broke/

Overall, that's not much saved for what likely would be many years of post employment life...

So luckily I'm in the latter category

But many of us retire early and head to Thailand.

Now a lot depends on how much you contributed to SS throughout your working life and if you can string your disbursement  out to full retirement age,

Also housing is the biggie. A lot depends on whether you have a home fully paid up. Rentals can eat up your SS check, or your savings really fast

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Age does change one's perspectives. It's a question of whether one is comfortable with dying in Thailand, or in the bosom of their country of origin. I haven't made up my mind... yet.

Death can focus the mind

A very dear friend of mine, had left his wife of over 30 years and was living with a gal half his age.

But as he was in the hospital in his last few days it was his ex wife he wanted to be with, and I should add, she with him.

Who we want to live with can be totally different to who we want to die with

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

... Overall, that's not much saved for what likely would be many years of post employment life...

Those figures are frighteningly low.  In the U.S., I regard even $1 million as modest.  My mother (age 90) is in an assisted living facility at a cost of about $65,000 per year.

21 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Those figures are frighteningly low.  In the U.S., I regard even $1 million as modest.  My mother (age 90) is in an assisted living facility at a cost of about $65,000 per year.

The only way to do it is have long term care insurance or spend down to a couple of thousand and get medicaid http://www.oms.nysed.gov/medicaid/resources/medicaid_spend_down.pdf

Or stay in Thailand.

I know I took care of two parents and spent down any money I would have inherited so they could go into a nursing home.   When I get to that point I will try and get into a VA nursing home if I am in the States - that's why no South America.  How would you have a stroke and be a veg and negotiate a return to a nursing home?  Not gonna happen. 

I often wondered why my dad disliked me that much to throw away a fortune on himself and not cover his wife after he died.  All would have been so easy if he had taken his pension and not a lump sum and arranged for long term care insurance but no.  He screwed me and mom.  Funny the lady who did my mothers long term care for 2 years is still in contact with me.  She asked me how I afforded to pay her for 2 years.  I responded, "why do you think I moved to Thailand?"

14 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Yep, those kinds of expenses can drive almost anyone / any family into the ground.

I had a similar long-term care need arise in my family, but fortunately we were able to manage it with significant (24-hour) in-home care for an extended period. Even more fortunately, the main carer family member involved had taken out life insurance with long-term care expense riders.  Without that, I don't know what would have happened.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yep, those kinds of expenses can drive almost anyone / any family into the ground.   ...

We are fortunate that my folks worked hard, saved and invested.  Dad grew up in a poor family during the Depression and Mom came from a modest family.  Now Mom has enough monthly income to cover her living facility and maybe another $2+ million in net worth.  Dad worked until he died at age 80. 

This can t be due just to probable medical insurance costs. 

The OP lives in his wifes house, so no rent? To move to America and pay 1000 $ rent. 

Presuming he now pays all costs of the house here, he will also pay all costs there , so there is no difference. ( also extra costs of maintaining wife in Thailand whilst in Usa?)

I think maybe the OP has other problems with the thought of the future here. 

I returned, from an EU country, last year to my COO, after 38 years. I was terrified. Even driving was difficult as the driving was on the other side.  I sensed relief only when I had found online a place to rent . Once I had the contract everything else felt easy. 

As everyone says I seemed to have fell to earth, my national insurance never seemed to be accepted, i had to show the original. No credit card. No doctor. It all works out tho. Important thing is to find a place to stay, after that everything gets sorted. 

5 hours ago, bigginhill said:

The OP lives in his wifes house, so no rent? To move to America and pay 1000 $ rent. 

Presuming he now pays all costs of the house here, he will also pay all costs there , so there is no difference. ( also extra costs of maintaining wife in Thailand whilst in Usa?)

I returned, from an EU country, last year to my COO, after 38 years. I was terrified. Even driving was difficult as the driving was on the other side.  I sensed relief only when I had found online a place to rent . Once I had the contract everything else felt easy. 

As everyone says I seemed to have fell to earth, my national insurance never seemed to be accepted, i had to show the original. No credit card. No doctor. It all works out tho. Important thing is to find a place to stay, after that everything gets sorted. 

Agreed. If it's just the visa thing buy an elite which will cost less and take him until he is 100 years old for a million Baht. Coming to the USA now with the intention of renting is an extremely bad idea. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:04 PM, marcusarelus said:

Would they stop me at the border with the cash when I made a declaration?  Or is this all done when the money is withdrawn from the bank? 

You make a declaration at the Customs office at the airport and that is it. No problem, and you won't be stopped. Just remember you need to declare it at the other end too and it would be helpful if you had supporting documentation of how you came by such a large amount of cash so as to satisfy any concerns Customs in the USA might have.

8 hours ago, bigginhill said:

I pay the majority of the mortgage for my wife's house.  She got the loan when we got married and both pay but I pay the larger percent because I make more money than her and that seems fair.  My only worry here is the mandatory insurance might not accept me which I have said a number of times.  Five more years and the mortgage is paid off and then it will be rent free.

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Agreed. If it's just the visa thing buy an elite which will cost less and take him until he is 100 years old for a million Baht. Coming to the USA now with the intention of renting is an extremely bad idea. 

Why are the rents in the USA high now?  They seem reasonable to me - the ones I've looked at. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I pay the majority of the mortgage for my wife's house.  She got the loan when we got married and both pay but I pay the larger percent because I make more money than her and that seems fair.  My only worry here is the mandatory insurance might not accept me which I have said a number of times. 

Just out of curiosity.

You have said before she works for Samsung. Surely she could get a transfer to one of the Samsung facilities in the US?

She'd make more money and would be together, and she'd be a permanent resident with none of the BS you have to endure with Thai immigration

As for the cost of housing, I've said this before but it's worth repeating. It's hugely variable and location.

I've got some rather nice condo's which I rent out between $850-1000/month. However those same condo's would be $3000/month in San Francisco.

Location Location Location

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Just out of curiosity.

You have said before she works for Samsung. Surely she could get a transfer to one of the Samsung facilities in the US?

She'd make more money and would be together, and she'd be a permanent resident with none of the BS you have to endure with Thai immigration

It is a chemical division actually more in common with Dow (she worked with Dow before).  Dow says they don't pay expenses for interview in America. 

I have discussed it with her and we have looked at the job openings.  Seems she'd make between 50 and 70K USD.  The smartest move would be her working as an independent contractor in Texas.  I could set it up but I'm old and don't want to go back to work. 

Of course all might not work and she'd end up as a waitress instead of her executive job here in Thailand with her friends that she has worked with for 10 years. 

From her point of view she has a good job here and house almost paid for and large family here - why would she want to move.  It's not like we're in love.  It was an arrangement that was good for both of us.  

She is not a spring chicken - late 40's. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It is a chemical division actually more in common with Dow (she worked with Dow before).  Dow says they don't pay expenses for interview in America. 

I have discussed it with her and we have looked at the job openings.  Seems she'd make between 50 and 70K USD.  The smartest move would be her working as an independent contractor in Texas.  I could set it up but I'm old and don't want to go back to work. 

Of course all might not work and she'd end up as a waitress instead of her executive job here in Thailand with her friends that she has worked with for 10 years. 

From her point of view she has a good job here and house almost paid for and large family here - why would she want to move.  It's not like we're in love.  It was an arrangement that was good for both of us.  

Well that's a very different dynamic. We are are actually in love....well I think we are, at least most of the time, apart from the times she's screaming at me LOL

For most of us it's the kids that drive us primarily

My wife wanted to be near our son in Denver, but equally she knew she could pursue her career in the US far more than she ever had been able to in Thailand

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It's a big,big step going it alone Marcus.

I must admit that I could not have done it by myself.

I might put in a little plug for my Thai family here..even tho' they kinda drove me nuts 6 months prior to departure.

My wife has been splendid making sure that I settled in and has now joined me permanently.

My mother -in-law and stepdaughter maintain my house beautifully and they are most welcome to share it.

The son-in-law looks after my dog.

They mostly send photos 2-3 times a week so I feel that I am still connected to Thailand and the daughter wants to come for a holiday.

Moreover they kick started their (failed) business and it is doing well-all without any monetary demands from me whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's a big,big step going it alone Marcus.

I must admit that I could not have done it by myself.

I might put in a little plug for my Thai family here..even tho' they kinda drove me nuts 6 months prior to departure.

My wife has been splendid making sure that I settled in and has now joined me permanently.

My mother -in-law and stepdaughter maintain my house beautifully and they are most welcome to share it.

The son-in-law looks after my dog.

They mostly send photos 2-3 times a week so I feel that I am still connected to Thailand and the daughter wants to come for a holiday.

Moreover they kick started their (failed) business and it is doing well-all without any monetary demands from me whatsoever.

I know this sounds lame, but there was no way I would have trusted anyone to look after our cat.

At best she would have 'maybe' got fed!

So I paid the extortionate fees and shipped her to the US.

Now as I sit here typing this she is happily purring on my lap, makes me know I did the right thing

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I know this sounds lame, but there was no way I would have trusted anyone to look after our cat.

At best she would have 'maybe' got fed!

So I paid the extortionate fees and shipped her to the US.

Now as I sit here typing this she is happily purring on my lap, makes me know I did the right thing

It's very difficult to get pets past quarantine in OZ and I would have been about 400 miles from where he would have been domiciled.

He was not the kind of dog that would have taken well to being caged but it still was a very hard decision.

I generally receive a video once a week which shows that he is well fed and happy.It was the best I could do as I couldn't very well keep him in hospital-I was in and out Of Aussie hospital for 4 months after I returned.I am also physically disabled so I can't really look after him.

He was my best mate in Thailand.

Archived